Dieting...

:shock: at some stories here!

After I got out of college I weighted 197 pounds. My mom helped me a lot so she put me on a strict diet (cut out butter, salt and sodas) plus 3 miles walk 3 or 4 times a week for one summer and I've lost 30 pounds. After that I took it easy with my diet and lost 37 more pounds for the next 3 years. Basically I've lost 67 pounds in 4 years and kept it off. If you diet too fast chances are you will gain back even you'll gain more than what you used to weigh. That's why I was dieting off and on so my body can get used to the new weight.

I was 132 when I married my husband in 2001 by not eating as much or skipping one or two meals a day and excercising hard. Bad idea. My face looked gaunt and I didn't really have any muscle tones. My collarbones were sticking out a little too much and my jaw line was very tight. Eeeech!

Finally, I became pregnant in 2003 and I went from 137 to 176 pounds, but I'm back down to 147. Yet, I do look very healthy compare to my lightest weight. I'd like to get back down to 135-137.

My plans are to eat fish twice a week, eat more of proportioined vegetables and fruits, drink more water and eat less carbs. Instead of eating one big baked potatoe, my husband and I would split it together. I'd have junk food once a week so that way I won't crave too much later. It works for me.

Wow, I had gone through this experience with my old rooommate and no it wasn't me... My ex roomie was bullemic whatever it spells. I have tried struggled with her to made her realized what she did was WRONG and such. She must excerise every few minutes - I'm like u don't have to do that every few minutes and she won't eat a lot just a little - she even passed out few times and yes it scared me because I love her for who she is as my good friend. and I kept thinking it was her ex bf who treated her that way but nooo it was HERSELF and I don't know why she did this to herself.. i guess she didn't like what she saw or something like that but it hurts me to see her so pale and bony and ending up in hospital. *sighs*

I'm very thankful that she's doing great and is married to a guy that she loved. and She isn't doing any of the bullemia since. I'm happy that shes doing a lot better when i saw her last year.

OldNavyGirl said:
Wow, I had gone through this experience with my old rooommate and no it wasn't me... My ex roomie was bullemic whatever it spells. I have tried struggled with her to made her realized what she did was WRONG and such. She must excerise every few minutes - I'm like u don't have to do that every few minutes and she won't eat a lot just a little - she even passed out few times and yes it scared me because I love her for who she is as my good friend. and I kept thinking it was her ex bf who treated her that way but nooo it was HERSELF and I don't know why she did this to herself.. i guess she didn't like what she saw or something like that but it hurts me to see her so pale and bony and ending up in hospital. *sighs*

I'm very thankful that she's doing great and is married to a guy that she loved. and She isn't doing any of the bullemia since. I'm happy that shes doing a lot better when i saw her last year.

Eating disorders are diseases having largely to do with someone not having any self worth. There are many reasons why someone may feel like they don't measure up, and they often mistakenly feel as though they have to diet to cure whatever "ails" them. They feel like that will somehow solve all their problems, but in reality, it just adds to their problems.

It takes a lot for the person to find recovery. It took me years to finally realize that I have value. But, I still struggle.

I hope your friend is on her way to wellness. It takes a long time to recover from eating disorders. A very long time.

Oceanbreeze said:
Eating disorders are diseases

True, and I remmy one of my good friend from school has an eating disorders, she is already thin but she thinks she is still fat, and would go to the bathroom at school and vomit all the food she eaten at lunchtime, it was awful even tho I got mad at her a couple of times but then I did the same thing as she did but only that I wouldn't eat at all.....

The guys I used to date back in school, would make fun of me just cause I have a little belly sticking out, I was already in my 115 pounds but it wasn't enough for them, they want a perfect boney body!!! :roll:

^Angel^ said:
True, and I remmy one of my good friend from school has an eating disorders, she is already thin but she thinks she is still fat, and would go to the bathroom at school and vomit all the food she eaten at lunchtime, it was awful even tho I got mad at her a couple of times but then I did the same thing as she did but only that I wouldn't eat at all.....

The guys I used to date back in school, would make fun of me just cause I have a little belly sticking out, I was already in my 115 pounds but it wasn't enough for them, they want a perfect boney body!!! :roll:

:hug: I know, ^Angel^. Society places a lot of pressure on women to be thin, and when you have someone who is already self conscience to begin with, it can only add problems.

It's kind of sad, actually. I have many friends who suffer from eating disorders, and I personally know of someone who died from one. This is why I'm trying to conquer my demons, and I'm also, trying to encourage others not to go down this road. Worse case is, you lose your life. Best case, you lose your sanity. It's not worth it.

*nodding as agreeing with Oceanbreeze*

I've watched a couple of true story movies of women starving themselves, and some of them died in the result, just cause those women wants to look good and when they stand and looked themselves in the mirror and seeing themselves being fat but really they aren't, I think that it cause women to feel sad inside seeing all those models out there who has a perfect body and cause them to want to be perfect in every way, and they do everything they can to become perfect as those models out there.....

Sad isn't it?...:(

^Angel^ said:
*nodding as agreeing with Oceanbreeze*

I've watched a couple of true story movies of women starving themselves, and some of them died in the result, just cause those women wants to look good and when they stand and looked themselves in the mirror and seeing themselves being fat but really they aren't, I think that it cause women to feel sad inside seeing all those models out there who has a perfect body and cause them to want to be perfect in every way, and they do everything they can to become perfect as those models out there.....

Sad isn't it?...:(

Yes, indeed. It is very sad, ^Angel^. Eating disordered people are also very competitive. They tend to compete with one another. To be honest, when I first took a peek at this thread, I wasn't sure if I could continue posting in here, because, of some of the things people said triggered me. I'm not blaming anybody, mind you. It's just something *I* personally still struggle with. However, I have learned over the years to take responsibilty for myself. And, I know when to get the hell out when something is too much for me! :lol:

But, thank you, for posting this. I think we can all learn from this topic. (and, now, maybe I won't feel so bad about sending the thread :topic: :giggle: .)

BewitchedKitten said:
I can also relate with the fat jokes.. my husband can be harsh about it and the thing is, I was happy with myself, and didn't consider myself fat at all until he started saying 'fatty' and 'ugly' to me.

He gets mad at me when I eat something. He says that Im 'stuffing my fat face'. It really hurt me. Its regular stuff. I dont eat that much, but if I finish an entire sandwich, he insults me. He can eat burritos and candy bars and get mad at me if I do! Im like....

It hurts a lot, but one day I told him 'youre insecure with yourself, so you're taking it out on me'.. and he admitted it was true. I try to remind myself that everytime he says something mean.

Make sure you lift up the one you love and tell them how beautiful they are. I always tell him that I think he's perfect just the way he is and that he doesn't realize how handsome he is. Its important. I just wish he would do that for me.
I really hope that it is ok for me to say... what did your husband do to you is totally inappropriate... I guess it is just me. It will flush your self-esteem down in toilet more faster. Higher self-esteem is very important factor in losing weights situation. I'd like to say more but it is really none of my business to say anything about your husband.

I once had overweight problem but very, very briefly. My uncle & aunt took me to any restaurant and ate these foods for two weeks (three meals at restaurants daily) due to travelling. Naturally, I became bit chubby but I lost the pounds when I went to the football camp for football practice during summer.

I helped Nas' friends (gals) and her roomie with overweight problem with some kind of program sometimes ago, it helped most but I don't know if you gals want the advice from a man like me... So I prefer to wait until I get a approval from any of you, gals so that's way you gals will not get the wrong idea that I am arrogant or mr. know it all or something...

Plus to that, I do aware that I am not certificated doctor yet but based on my real experience with myself (I tend to experimenting on myself with food issues) and these friends of Nas.

Magatsu said:
I helped Nas' friends (gals) and her roomie with overweight problem with some kind of program sometimes ago, it helped most but I don't know if you gals want the advice from a man like me... So I prefer to wait until I get a approval from any of you, gals so that's way you gals will not get the wrong idea that I am arrogant or mr. know it all or something...

Plus to that, I do aware that I am not certificated doctor yet but based on my real experience with myself (I tend to experimenting on myself with food issues) and these friends of Nas.

I d love to hear your advice - so feel free to explain it all to me here :)

Great thread, Angel.

Counting calories is the way to lose weight. 1,200 calories is the common count to lose weight. I struggle to maintain my weight. I’m 5’7" and weigh 120. I use the Slim in 6 (SI6) program five times a week and walk with my dogs every day in the am and pm. If I don't have time to do SI6, I do the belly dance. It lasts only 20 minutes.

I go on an eating spree during the holidays. I would eat whatever I want and wait about 1 to 2 hours before I take my dogs out walking for 30 minutes. Instead of feeling bloated, I felt great!

Congratulations, Tweetybird! 8 pounds is a lot to lose weight! Water is an essential element not only for your health, but also in the success of your weight loss regime. I drink water and Crystal Light Peach. I was once a big Diet Coke drinker, but now I drink Diet Coke at the restaurant.

BewitchedKitten, you look great! I have seen your pictures and visited your webblog. I don’t know why your husband had to pick on you about your weight. Good for you to tell him off. No one should make you feel bad.

WOW!! everyone went through similar and interesting story.. but meg's story is similar to mine.. i was engaged to someone who was very abusive.. including verbal.. he called me mr blimp, good year, etc.. it hurt very bad.. then i got used to it.. i had NO SELF ESTEEM.. :ugh:

i have tried everything that you can think of!! weight watchers, south beach, atkins, jenny craig, herbal life, the list can go and on...

before i get into this.. i just want to let you guys know that i was never and i still am not a big eater.. my problem was EATING THE WRONG FOOD.. and not BEING ACTIVE..

so i finally saw a nutritionist who is a very close personal friend of my favorite uncle who is a doctor.. at first i was very skeptical and resentful.. but my mom and uncle kept persuading me.. and PROMISED me that this will work since it worked for my brother in law and my cousin too.. blah blah... i was just at my wits end at the time... but then i was like FINE.. ILL GO FOR YOUR SAKE!! (to shut them up)...

it was tough at first.. i have to admit.. i am sure you guys know how it is when you FIRST start something new like a new diet, etc.. it is very hard, can be very discouraging, very challenging, etc.. so anyway.. i couldnt believe how easy it was AFTER A FEW DAYS!?!?! WOW!!! i can eat like a normally again without worrying or fretting too frigging much!!

my dr also wrote a book.. you can get it at the bookstore.. called THE ANTI-DIET --how to eat, lose and live..

this is how it works.. ill do my best to explain it and K.I.S.S!! AACCKK!! so here it goes!!
i eat every two hours! (i know it is crazy!!) but it is to keep your energy level up (you notice you guys get tired by mid morning right!??) and your metabolism up (burn calories)... like for example.. this is my schedule to make it easier to explain:

8am breakfast waffles, soy protein or cream of wheat
10am snack apple, orange, etc
12pm lunch hamburger w/o bread, etc or
2pm snack crackers (4-5 depending on the box) with hummus, or fruits
4pm snack same as above
6pm dinner carb or no carb.. depending on what you had for lunch
8pm snack fruit.. or ice cream or your favorite dessert but it must be
(10 grams of sugar or less
10 grams of total fat or less
650 mg of sodium or less)

so for breakfast.. i can eat whatever i want.. i normally either have a soy protein drink, 2 waffles or cream of wheat.. then for snack.. ill have a piece of fruit.. then for lunch.. (you are allowed to have one carb a day.. meaning.. if you have a carb for lunch.. then you cant have carb for dinner.. or the other way around.. so if i have a amy's frozen lasagne (sp?) for lunch then at dinner ill have a salad or chicken if you get my drift)

everything such as waffles, amy's lasagne, ice cream etc... must be:
10 grams of sugar or less
10 grams of total fat or less
650 mg of sodium or less

and twice a week i can have sweets!! i LOVE PISTACHIO ICE CREAM!! YUMMY!!!

in additional to this, i walk, hike, etc (not in the winter, no way jose!! LOL), and i am also a member of curves that i go almost everyday)

up to this day, i have lost the total of 25lbs since august--(1lb a week and also went down two dress sizes).. and i AM VERY PLEASED WITH MY WEIGHT.. i never thought i would be able to lose it and keep it off!!(because two summers ago.. i lost 50lbs.. but GAINED IT ALL BACK!! GRRR! so every time i lost weight in the past.. i gained it back like a SNAP!! (so it was a YOYO for many years) but now i have faith and know i can do it with this lifetime eating plan plus be active, walk, hike and go to curves.. cant wait until summer cuz i love the outdoors.. i am looking forward to being active again such as hiking, etc..

I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER than i have in a long time!!.. feel much healthier, no more pain, inflammation in my hips and knees, etc!! SHEESH!! IT SURE DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!! the weight puts pressure on all of your body parts and joints, etc (sigh)

everyone has been telling me i look much more healtier than i have ever been in a long time... since i changed my eating habits..

sorry for going on and on.. so this is my story.. hope to hear many more successful stories from others!! :applause: :thumb:

I gained 7 lbs thanks to holiday and I need to lose another 25 lbs to control my health problems. I follow doctor's order not thru any other diets but limit on many foods alike starch foods and fat foods. And walk everyday for 20 minutes or more. I drank alot of water. It is so hard to follow strict diet.

jazzy said:
I gained 7 lbs thanks to holiday and I need to lose another 25 lbs to control my health problems. I follow doctor's order not thru any other diets but limit on many foods alike starch foods and fat foods. And walk everyday for 20 minutes or more. I drank alot of water. It is so hard to follow strict diet.

oops i forgot to mention this in my previous post.. my dr said the same thing too.. that i must walk for 20 minutes at least 2x a day..

and also that diets are :bsflag: in his book! :giggle:

When I graduated from my highschool I was size 18, and my toes are reaching over slightly 170pounds. What was known as "Freshmen 15" I had a opposite of that-- I lost pounds. Sodas were the vices. Once I removed that from my eating habit, I shed pounds fast than ever. I also have better self-esteem. I was going to school for my own sake and studying all by myself (I hate to go to classes with friends-- i am a different person when in class and they don't change imo so it affects my sutdying), I find a better circle of friends and feel productive with my life. Exactly a year ago today I barely can fit in 14. Now I am snuggling in size-12, weighing 145. I am 5'5" so that is the "ideal" range for me.
Diet sodas were the big help for me to get away from the sodas. I still drink caffinee although :cowering: and I started to eat healthy food after I met C and he is a vegetarian so he plays a role as well. He "forced" me to eat blackbeans, drink protein drinks and whatnot for my health. But i did learn couple of stuff about food.. like those pepperoni and gross fillers [shuddering] so in a way his stories about gross food have steered me into healthy food.
I stopped eating at those fast-food joints as well. Rarely I will step in only for fries. No more beef for me. I still eat chicken occassionally. I think it is all about eating three times a day-- and stay mobile. Don't veg out all day in front of the tv.
It only requires several simple rules ie: no sodas, fast-food, etc and replace it with a salad, vegetable stirfry, pasta with tofu and whatnot... you are not losing out on anything but fat. :)

^Angel^ said:
Since I haven't seen a thread of " diet ", thought I would create one here...

Many of us start our diet after the holiday, and is there any diet plan that works for you and would like you to share them to us , since some of us are going on a diet and would like to hear some good tips on how it works....

I went on a diet after my second child was born, but I did it the wrong way by starving myself and only eaten every 7 th day, but since I lost alot of weight so quickly as I thought I could but then again, I end up into the hospital twice, so I don't think I will do this again since I am scare that I would ruin my health or could have been alot worse you know....

If any of you are on a diet or plan to, please share your tips here! ;)

Wow, my story is little bit alike yours except I was health freak and went to see this man about nutrients. I decided to become vegatarian and took herbs to cleanse my body cuz I did not want any health problems when I get older. I almost destroyed myself by dong this and I went temporary insane. I had to spend a night at the hopsital to wake myself up and I cant be a vegatarian and no more herbs. I lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks. Last few days of not eat and my body went chao! Had nde and got so freak out that I did not want to die. I did not gained them back and plus more till one year later when my menses stopped. I gained 50 lbs in one month. Went to see dr and found out that my pituitary gland was malfunction, not knowing if 6 weeks of strict diet caused this or had this problem since had first child and I did not know about it. Who knows. Now I have this hormone and metabloism disorder. I stick with dr's follow order from now on.

Meg said:
I d love to hear your advice - so feel free to explain it all to me here :)
Meg, I have a second thought now. My biggest 'fear' that people may will take me or my attitude as 'mr. know it all' or 'arrogant'. I know that I tend to be helpful but sometimes being helpful can be annoying others or something...

.__.

Magatsu said:
Meg, I have a second thought now. My biggest 'fear' that people may will take me or my attitude as 'mr. know it all' or 'arrogant'. I know that I tend to be helpful but sometimes being helpful can be annoying others or something...

.__.

then PM me and meg :) we would love to hear what you have to say ;)

Theres no point here,,Like i said,,,If god wants you skinny youll be skinny. If god wants you thin youll be thin.

ravensteve1961 said:
Theres no point here,,Like i said,,,If god wants you skinny youll be skinny. If god wants you thin youll be thin.
I get spank from God everytime I ate wrong.

Back