did you see deaf Inventor on TV?

maybe. maybe not. Only time would tell. You also have to consider the overlap. Not everyone will embrace technology.

Very true. We will see how it will turn out if this invent is successful.

i saw on tv also at my aunt's house and she tell me about this! but my aunt's tv have no CC! GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!

Demand your aunt to get a CC'd television then! :lol:

Its almost like SK3 design, it can be communication between hearing/deaf without interpreter and/or paper/pen write... Hearing people speaking into "pager thing" then deaf people type on "pager thing" and speak out to hearing people... I think its neat idea

What a neat idea, but what is with these deaf people if they disliked Sidekicks? Does that make the point of it?

That kind of technology is still in the works.

Voice recognition technology still isn't perfected.

Then they should smarten up! :lol:

My question... If it does create jobs... Will these new jobs enough to cover the number of job loss that might be affect by this technology?

What if the item is successful, and the employee would be able to use the cashier at some store?

You meant deaf cashier? We already have some of them in USA stores. I seen them before.

How is it possible for this to work, we don't have them in my hometown, due to communication issues. What is the stragdy? What if the deaf cashier can not talk, if they want to ask if they want a bag?

How is it possible for this to work, we don't have them in my hometown, due to communication issues. What is the stragdy? What if the deaf cashier can not talk, if they want to ask if they want a bag?

Deaf people can do anything too! :) Some deaf cashiers that I met can talk well or read lips well... Also many check out booths have technology that shows you how much, list of grocies/supplies with costs plus taxes which is helpful.

Very simple if they want to ask if they want a bag... Just show the customers bag and point it to the bag to see if they say yes or no. :)

Deaf people can do anything too! :) Some deaf cashiers that I met can talk well or read lips well... Also many check out booths have technology that shows you how much, list of grocies/supplies with costs plus taxes which is helpful.

Very simple if they want to ask if they want a bag... Just show the customers bag and point it to the bag to see if they say yes or no. :)

yeah, true, they have LCD screens now, and they don't talk much, only ask for bag, cash out from EFTPOS etc.. if the manager or supervisor think deaf people can't do these things, and the deaf person insists a trial, let them be! They can prove it, if it works! There can't not be so limited if they think it would be!

yeah, true, they have LCD screens now, and they don't talk much, only ask for bag, cash out from EFTPOS etc.. if the manager or supervisor think deaf people can't do these things, and the deaf person insists a trial, let them be! They can prove it, if it works! There can't not be so limited if they think it would be!

Exactly! I'm curious does your country, Austrailia have law that protect deaf people's rights just like we have in USA for ADA?

Exactly! I'm curious does your country, Austrailia have law that protect deaf people's rights just like we have in USA for ADA?

Mind explaning what ADA is ? What it stands for? If you don't mind, just give a bit more specific, perhaps?

Mind explaning what ADA is ? What it stands for? If you don't mind, just give a bit more specific, perhaps?

Sure. :) ADA stands for Americans with Disablities Act that protect people with physical challenges from discrimination for workplace of more than fifteen employees, public schools, public faculities, and any public places. Also it provides special design for people with physical challenges such as ramps for wheelchairs, fire alarm flashers for the Deaf, wide doors, hallways, stall, and furniture settings for wheelchairs and provide brallas (sp?) for the Blind. These special design for physical challenges is also called Architectural Barrier Act (ABA) and it is part of ADA too.

Sure. :) ADA stands for Americans with Disablities Act that protect people with physical challenges from discrimination for workplace of more than fifteen employees, public schools, public faculities, and any public places. Also it provides special design for people with physical challenges such as ramps for wheelchairs, fire alarm flashers for the Deaf, wide doors, hallways, stall, and furniture settings for wheelchairs and provide brallas (sp?) for the Blind. These special design for physical challenges is also called Architectural Barrier Act (ABA) and it is part of ADA too.

Oh, I understand now, well, ours are quite different but I am not sure about the Australian ADA but I would do some research but in my hometown if I work part time in more than 15 employees - the deaf society in the town, would provide DAT (Deafness awareness training) which never occured for me when I was employed at McDonald's more than three years ago.

And also, right now I am at work, which is the government, but I am employed under the apprenticeship company and they provided me the TTY 4 months late, as I requested for them earlier when I was just starting to work for them and also I am still waiting for my agency to consult with the owners of the building to get them to get the fire alarm flashers to be installed, as they are quite expensive, I'd say.

Oh, I understand now, well, ours are quite different but I am not sure about the Australian ADA but I would do some research but in my hometown if I work part time in more than 15 employees - the deaf society in the town, would provide DAT (Deafness awareness training) which never occured for me when I was employed at McDonald's more than three years ago.

And also, right now I am at work, which is the government, but I am employed under the apprenticeship company and they provided me the TTY 4 months late, as I requested for them earlier when I was just starting to work for them and also I am still waiting for my agency to consult with the owners of the building to get them to get the fire alarm flashers to be installed, as they are quite expensive, I'd say.

Interesting... Each countries have different type of laws that protect discrimination against people with phyical challenges. Not every country have law for that yet. I only know that USA and Canada have ones... I am not sure if Australia, New Zealand, etc have too.

McDonalds is an American company that have the knowledges of ADA and they got some deaf workers at some McDonalds restaurants in USA. I am sure McDonalds follows ADA in another countries even some of them don't have laws for that yet.

Interesting... Each countries have different type of laws that protect discrimination against people with phyical challenges. Not every country have law for that yet. I only know that USA and Canada have ones... I am not sure if Australia, New Zealand, etc have too.

McDonalds is an American company that have the knowledges of ADA and they got some deaf workers at some McDonalds restaurants in USA. I am sure McDonalds follows ADA in another countries even some of them don't have laws for that yet.

Yes, they should know about the ADA, but really, mine didn't even think about it. Despite to the owners I hated them mostly. I got shouted at once.. and I was pissed.

Awww Sorry to hear that. :(

The owners are old people, and I resigned there, but the owners has sold the place to the new ones, the new owners are much better and aware about me. :) but it was time for me to go. :(

That's understandable.

Yeah, I am 20 years old now, and most of the staff are mainly between 15 to 17 so I think it is time for me to go and I already got a new job which I am currently in :)

Yeah, I am 20 years old now, and most of the staff are mainly between 15 to 17 so I think it is time for me to go and I already got a new job which I am currently in :)

Yeah that would be better for you to fit in the workplace that you feel more comfortable at. I don't want to work with young people and I don't want to "babysit" them at the workplace.

Yeah that would be better for you to fit in the workplace that you feel more comfortable at. I don't want to work with young people and I don't want to "babysit" them at the workplace.

Yep and for another real reason, the owners doesn't want to give an older person more shifts than the youngers, as I am very expensive to pay for .. you know?

Hmmm Please elaborate.

Sure, no worries. The former owners, before they sold the place, owns THREE restaurants in the southern area, the 3rd one is pretty new, they kept it.. and they sold the first two restaurants. The new owners bought them off them... the old owners, can not afford to pay older staff, like me to do a lot of shifts per week.. I do 3 to 5 shifts per week and it degraded to 2 on weekends, due to the hourly payments, when I was 19, I got paid 15 dollars a hour, depends on how many hours you do. Right now, I feel that my time is coming to an end, and there is a lot of new staff coming so I decided to resign as I moved onto the new workplace which I am happy with. Does that claify you enough?

Back