Definition of "book learning"

Follow the yellow brick road...."oral thesis defense".... "master of science program"

In other words, yes, there is such a thing as an oral thesis defense as a final requirement to graduate with a M.S. degree.

I had to do an oral thesis defense in front of 3 professors and a bunch of grads or other visitors who came and watch.

Uh, koko. You stated that you turned down a Ph.D. from Maryland University in Civil Engineering. Maybe you should have done a little research before getting that specific. They do not even offer a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering.

Uh, koko. You stated that you turned down a Ph.D. from Maryland University in Civil Engineering. Maybe you should have done a little research before getting that specific. They do not even offer a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering.

Univ. of MD.

I noted above the key words....contingent on......in other words...(if).
Will be accepted 'if'. It doesn't fit anywhere into already being accepted.
Someone shot themself in the foot.
I have to say that all this post is so very fitting of someone's SUPERIORITY COMPLEX. That's about all I can make out of it. What other purpose is there to this post. It follows along with all the rest of this persons post.....trying to insult everyone here by constantly trying to portray an image being smarter than everyone here. What is the point of that....who cares about it?I mean it's something to be proud of. If didn't finish it, it is moot.
It all reeks of insecurity.
And that ...my dear friends....is something I learned 'NOT from a book'. Actually most really important things are learned from living life.
Learning to love people....learning to not be judgemental...forgiving..etc etc.
People's insecurities produces nothing but a big pain in the azz.
The day one lets go is the day one finds peace.and recieves real friends. It's ok to be human.

Ahhh....so you weren't accepted! You did not meet the requirements for acceptance. That means you did not turn them down, they turned you down.

Yeah, yeah, I'll be your schmo who turned down the PhD.. :D There's actually a bizarre addendum to this. See, I really did want to go into the PhD program, but since they weren't offering me any money, I kept calling the program director to ask if there were any assistantships or opportunities to make money. I never received a response, and since I already had two other offers with full funding, I just said forget it and went to Purdue.

Now, this is what I find out later: that program director who never returned my calls, well apparently he went missing shortly after the acceptance letters were sent out. The dude committed suicide! No wonder I never heard back. I wonder how many grad applications got messed up because of that? Crazy. But I'm happy about where I am now. Everything happens for a reason.

Wow! That really is an odd story! But hey, a terminal master's from Purdue is nothing to sneeze at. Can't blame anyone for opting for full funding. It only makes good sense. And if you want your Ph.D., you could always go back and earn it in English.

Yeah, yeah, I'll be your schmo who turned down the PhD.. :D There's actually a bizarre addendum to this. See, I really did want to go into the PhD program, but since they weren't offering me any money, I kept calling the program director to ask if there were any assistantships or opportunities to make money. I never received a response, and since I already had two other offers with full funding, I just said forget it and went to Purdue.

Now, this is what I find out later: that program director who never returned my calls, well apparently he went missing shortly after the acceptance letters were sent out. The dude committed suicide! No wonder I never heard back. I wonder how many grad applications got messed up because of that? Crazy. But I'm happy about where I am now. Everything happens for a reason.

That was not Iowa City was it? I think that happened with one of their higher ups in the last couple of years.

Cracking up* ha ha ha.

I noted above the key words....contingent on......in other words...(if).
Will be accepted 'if'. It doesn't fit anywhere into already being accepted.
Someone shot themself in the foot.
I have to say that all this post is so very fitting of someone's SUPERIORITY COMPLEX. That's about all I can make out of it. What other purpose is there to this post. It follows along with all the rest of this persons post.....trying to insult everyone here by constantly trying to portray an image being smarter than everyone here. What is the point of that....who cares about it?I mean it's something to be proud of. If didn't finish it, it is moot.
It all reeks of insecurity.
And that ...my dear friends....is something I learned 'NOT from a book'. Actually most really important things are learned from living life.
Learning to love people....learning to not be judgemental...forgiving..etc etc.
People's insecurities produces nothing but a big pain in the azz.
The day one lets go is the day one finds peace.and recieves real friends. It's ok to be human.

this is not a pissing contest. It's about getting to the truth.

Univ of MD. And I'm looking at the letter.....
It does say "Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering"

Univ of MD. And I'm looking at the letter.....
It does say "Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering"

here it is -

Admissions Information

Applicants for admission should hold a B.S. degree in civil engineering. However, applicants with undergraduate degrees in other disciplines may be accepted with the stipulation that deficiencies in prerequisite undergraduate coursework be corrected before enrolling in graduate courses. In addition to the requirements set forth by the Graduate School, applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to apply to the Master's Program, and a minimum GPA of 3.5 to apply to the Doctoral Program. Applicants with lower GPA's may be considered and accepted in a provisional basis if other indicators of ability are exceptional (letters of recommendation, GRE scores, prior experience ...). Applicants are also required to submit results from the Graduate Record Examination. There are no entrance examinations required for the program.

It does offer an MA in Civil Engineering. I wanted to check for myself.

I must say this is getting painful to watch.

You are all right about the "defending master's thesis" thing.

In many cases, one does not defend a master's thesis, but rather takes a grueling written exam that lasts 4 hours. Depends on the program and the university. In the humanities, most people who are planning to move up to a PhD. usually opt for the exam, since it doesn't require an extra year to write the thesis. Either way, an "oral defense" of a Master's thesis is much different from a defense of a PhD dissertation. The "oral defense" lasts an hour or so and they usually just pat you on the back and send you on your way. The PhD defense is a long process that requires many rewrites and serious examination. The prospect of losing your defense is very real in a PhD program.

here it is -

Correct. But, since Koko already claims to have had his Master's at that time, the provisional requirements applied to undergrads, (Bachelor Level applying directly to a Ph.D. program instead of Master's and then Ph.D.) do not apply.

The GPA requirements are the same as I stated previously.

Acceptance from other disciplines means that an applicant would need to take the undergrauate courses required for a Bachelor in Civil Engineering prior to admission for graduate studies. One cannot accomplish that between June and August.

Correct. But, since Koko already claims to have had his Master's at that time, the provisional requirements applied to undergrads, (Bachelor Level applying directly to a Ph.D. program instead of Master's and then Ph.D.) do not apply.

The GPA requirements are the same as I stated previously.

Acceptance from other disciplines means that an applicant would need to take the undergrauate courses required for a Bachelor in Civil Engineering prior to admission for graduate studies. One cannot accomplish that between June and August.

Jillio... as much as I hate to say it. He's been saying the truth.
I'm staring at his acceptance letter.

Back