Definition of "book learning"

oh my lordy.... this is getting more and more painful by a moment

diggin_smilie.gif

I notice that. Which is why I am sort of hoping we just turn it into a book discussion!:wave:

PD James wrote a cool one about an autistic boy. (if I remember right)

I don't think I read that one or I'd remember it. I do remember reading Skull Beneath The Skin so many times that the book fell apart. I think the title was from a T.S. Eloit poem.

Last edited:
You don't defend a thesis at the Master's level. You defend your dissertation at the doctoral level.

So you would have had to take additional courses required for admission to the program you applied to. You have already stated that several times. If you did not have the pre-reqs you did not meet standards for admission.

This is beginning to go in circles with all the backpedaling. I'm done.

Portland State University Computer Science Department | Home

pssst, Jillio, don't tell anyone, but I turned down a PhD. admittance in Creative Writing (straight from a BA, I should add) :D

But, unlike Koko, I'll clearly answer the question of why I turned it down: I was offered more money from an MFA program.

And yes, anyone who spends the hundreds to thousands of dollars and hours and hours of time to apply to programs and then turns it all down because "other opportunities later presented themselves" is not telling us all the facts.

what's MFA program?

I don't think I read that one or I'd remember it. I do remember reading Skull Beneath The Skin so many times that the book fell apart. I think the title was from a T.S. Eloit poem.

I am not actually sure it was her, but it was one of those old English woman mystery novelists. Within the last ten years.

what's MFA program?

Yes: Master of Fine Arts. Three year program, requires a book length thesis (like a dissertation). Also, it's a "terminal" degree like a PhD, meaning there is nothing after it, though a PhD is more prestigious.

Last edited:
Just in: Kokonut is taking the bet up, and it looks like I'll reveal who I am.

I'll be doing it in a thread, publicly.

Yes: Master of Fine Arts. Three year program, requires a book length thesis (like a dissertation). Also, it's a "terminal" degree like a PhD, meaning there is nothing after it, though a PhD is more prestigious.

Cheater, I have already revealed your mistake! :nana:

pssst, Jillio, don't tell anyone, but I turned down a PhD. admittance in Creative Writing (straight from a BA, I should add) :D

But, unlike Koko, I'll clearly answer the question of why I turned it down: I was offered more money from an MFA program.

And yes, anyone who spends the hundreds to thousands of dollars and hours and hours of time to apply to programs and then turns it all down because "other opportunities later presented themselves" is not telling us all the facts.

Corrected. I know one. :giggle: But you did go on to a graduate program at the Master's level for very logical reasons.

Just in: Kokonut is taking the bet up, and it looks like I'll reveal who I am.

I'll be doing it in a thread, publicly.

lol I wonder what's the point. Wondering why kokonut wants to know what you look like :dunno:

Back