Declaration of Occupy Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, OWS is made up of just tent people? that's how little you think of this movement that was borne out of a nationwide economic collapse?

wow.

I didn't say "tent people" will be solely responsible for overhauls of the political/banking system, I said they will have an impact on that just by the sheer power of the media whose attention they're commanding.

I just find it very interesting that 60 Minutes did a report AFTER OWS and that the the Stock Act garnered majority votes AFTER OWS made itself known.

What is the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act?

The Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act would prohibit members of Congress and federal employees from trading stocks based on nonpublic information obtained on the job, and it would require greater oversight of the growing "political intelligence” industry. The US Senate and the US Supreme Court are the only two out of 975 federal entities that appear to have no rules and no laws prohibiting them from trading stocks based on nonpublic information they gain on the job. While the US House of Representatives Ethics Manual states that its members should "never use any information coming to him confidentially in the performance of governmental duties as a means for making private profit," it currently remains legal to do so.

The STOCK Act was originally introduced in the 109th session of the House of Representatives on Mar. 28, 2006 by Brian Baird (D-WA) and Louise Slaughter (D-NY) where it died in committee. It was reintroduced in the 110th (May 16, 2007) and 111th (Jan. 26, 2009) House sessions where it also died in committee.

On Mar. 17, 2011, Tim Walz (D-MN) introduced the STOCK Act into the 112th House session where it gained one co-sponsor and was referred to various committees.

Eight more co-sponsors joined by Nov. 4, 2011.

On Nov. 13, 2011, 60 Minutes reported that several members of Congress allegedly used insider information for personal gain. The STOCK Act received 84 additional House co-sponsors in the five days following the report, and Scott Brown (R-MA) filed the STOCK Act in the Senate on Nov. 15, 2011. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) also filed a variation of the STOCK Act in the Senate on Nov. 17, 2011.

60 minutes did the report after I bought a new pair of shoes too....maybe that did it. IT's The SHOES!!! :lol: Oh well we will have to agree to disagree. :)

That's naive. Imagine the blow to their image if they dare try this. Sure, one can sue anybody for anything, but winning is another matter.
Not gonna happen.

We will see :)

p.s. Solyndra got punished badly by the market as they should but it made no difference to the progress of the green energy sector. That sector is growing quickly. Obama was right to focus on this sector, he just chose the wrong company to support and it was a major error.

All areas in the energy sector should be the focus. "Green energy" is a horrible, horrible misnomer and a feel good label. There is nothing "green" about wind turbines, for example.

p.s. Solyndra got punished badly by the market as they should but it made no difference to the progress of the green energy sector. That sector is growing quickly. Obama was right to focus on this sector, he just chose the wrong company to support and it was a major error.

Do we really have to post the list of failures again?

there are many cases of failures in all sectors. just like there are many success stories in all sectors so again what's your point?

We should heed Spain's colossal failure in the "green energy" market.

We should heed Spain's colossal failure in the "green energy" market.

so, the point is what? forget solar and wind turbines? forget geothermal and hydro? it's all a bad idea? just keep burning fossil fuels?

i am still trying to understand what your point is. starting to think you don't have one.

so, the point is what? forget solar and wind turbines? forget geothermal and hydro? it's all a bad idea? just keep burning fossil fuels?

i am still trying to understand what your point is. starting to think you don't have one.

His only point is whatever he picks up from the conservatives. Problem is, he picks up their slogans and a bit here and a bit there, but is never able to elaborate and explain it. So, no, he has no point other than to repeat. He is a parrot for the conservatives.

The Edison trait, it is called. Not exactly tolerated in our current education system, yet somehow we have people who are successful despite the education system.

Nope. Never said that. See post #3069.

Apparently you're not familiar with Spain's attempt at "green energy" and the catastrophic economic failure (btw, a leaked document a few weeks old not meant for public consumption) of their so called “green economy” initiatives and how Obama has referred to Spain's “green economy” policies as being the model several different times for what he envisioned for America. We, or at least I, knew Spain with their problematic "green economy" efforts spelled trouble going back a few years. This isn't all new. There were plenty of warnings to not follow Spain's.

Europe’s current policy and strategy for supporting the so-called “green jobs” or renewable energy dates back to 1997, and has become one of the principal justifications for U.S. “green jobs” proposals. Yet an examination of Europe’s experience reveals these policies to be terribly economically counterproductive.

This study is important for several reasons. First is that the Spanish experience is considered a leading example to be followed by many policy advocates and politicians. This study marks the very first time a critical analysis of the actual performance and impact has been made. Most important, it demonstrates that the Spanish/EU-style “green jobs” agenda now being promoted in the U.S. in fact destroys jobs, detailing this in terms of jobs destroyed per job created and the net destruction per installed MW.

The study’s results demonstrate how such “green jobs” policy clearly hinders Spain’s way out of the current economic crisis, even while U.S. politicians insist that rushing into such a scheme will ease their own emergence from the turmoil.

and....

Therefore, while it is not possible to directly translate Spain’s experience with exactitude to claim that the U.S. would lose at least 6.6 million to 11 million jobs, as a direct consequence were it to actually create 3 to 5 million “green jobs” as promised (in addition to the jobs lost due to the opportunity cost of private capital employed in renewable energy), the study clearly reveals the tendency that the U.S. should expect such an outcome.

Like I said in #3075, my point is that we should heed Spain's colossal failure in the "green energy" market.

Milk Street Cafe, the restaurant whose business dried up in the face of the Occupy Wall Street barricades, is shutting down.

Thursday will be the last day for the 23,000 square-foot eatery that opened at 40 Wall St. in June, the Daily News has learned…

Epstein blamed the barricades that remained in front of his restaurant even after the Occupy Wall Street protestors were removed from Zuccotti Park…

Milk Street Cafe’s closure will result in the layoff of 70 workers. That’s on top of the 21 let go in October.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/mil...street-barricades-close-good-article-1.990960

Tsk.

Nope. Never said that. See post #3069.

Apparently you're not familiar with Spain's attempt at "green energy" and the catastrophic economic failure (btw, a leaked document a few weeks old not meant for public consumption) of their so called “green economy” initiatives and how Obama has referred to Spain's “green economy” policies as being the model several different times for what he envisioned for America. We, or at least I, knew Spain with their problematic "green economy" efforts spelled trouble going back a few years. This isn't all new. There were plenty of warnings to not follow Spain's.

and....

Like I said in #3075, my point is that we should heed Spain's colossal failure in the "green energy" market.

let me guess - Obama's fault, right?

How about we let inventors do that failing on their own dime.... :)

We wouldn't make much progress with that attitude. Inventors work in a wide spectrum of fields. The lone inventor is a myth. Edison had a lot of people working for him.

I don't recall him working for the government as he didn't need to work for it.

As much as I dislike saying so, much of tge things that we take for graned is borrowed from inventions in the military. There's no way military inventors could do it on their dime considering the cost of the equipment in the military

The Net is one of those inventions that couldn't be done on the inventors' own dime. it was the result of computer scientists and various government agencies including the NSF and college campuses. I have no doubt there were many failures on the way to developing the Net. The same applies to the military. No one remembers the failures - only the success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back