Declaration of Occupy Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the system works, even without the OWS protests? Banking corruption gets investigated and prosecuted, even without the help of OWS?

Just checking.

The system works but OWS is trying to educate the public about what's going on on Wall Street because even now, many people are totally unaware and thus, don't say or do anything to demand changes when it's well within their power to. Public pressure goes a lot way to ensuring trials do not drag on longer than necessary. Right now, this lawsuit was initiated because the banks are taking too long to reach settlements with the attorney general and they refuse to accept any liability for their actions and meanwhile 40,000 more homes have been foreclosed. This lawsuit was only filed on December 1st of this year.

Bloomberg had to sue the Fed to reveal the truth about their bailouts that even the Fed didn't admit to Congress. Where was the system in this? How many people are aware of this? Not many.

Again, OWS is trying to make sure the public is educated and aware of what's going on so Wall Street cannot continue to hide behind closed doors and unregulated practices. The more people are aware, the more they can weigh in on laws concerning banks and financial practices. The more the public is aware, the more pressure they can put on the banks and the system to do their jobs.

Or, we could continue doing what we did before the collapse, carry on blissfully unaware and not holding anyone accountable.

OWS wants to make sure that doesn't happen and is trying to wake up America and tell them to exercise their rights and demand that those who violated the laws be held liable for their actions.

So the system works, even without the OWS protests? Banking corruption gets investigated and prosecuted, even without the help of OWS?

Just checking.

see Elliot Spitzer's background.

That's deafcaroline's post. Either txgolfer got the post number wrong or he thinks that bloomberg is a legit source. :dunno: here's the contents of post 2984:
Bloomberg sued the Federal Reserve to disclose the truth about their lendings:
Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks $13 Billion Undisclosed to Congress - Bloomberg
‘Change Their Votes’
“When you see the dollars the banks got, it’s hard to make the case these were successful institutions,” says Sherrod Brown, a Democratic Senator from Ohio who in 2010 introduced an unsuccessful bill to limit bank size. “This is an issue that can unite the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street. There are lawmakers in both parties who would change their votes now.”
Bloomberg - Business & Financial News, Breaking News Headlines

That's deafcaroline's post. Either txgolfer got the post number wrong or he thinks that bloomberg is a legit source. :dunno: here's the contents of post 2984:

Now you are confused :( Yes that is DC's post and THAT is what Jiro was asking. Thanks anyway

I was reading the National Enquirer about some 3 foot alien found living under someone's couch. It was right next to the article about John Edward's affair :wave:

Now, I am sure some people could spout off lies using "legitimate" sources, and report the truth using silly fringe sources.

Haven't seen that happen yet though .... :roll:

I was reading the National Enquirer about some 3 foot alien found living under someone's couch. It was right next to the article about John Edward's affair :wave:

Now, I am sure some people could spout off lies using "legitimate" sources, and report the truth using silly fringe sources.

Haven't seen that happen yet though .... :roll:

why were you reading National Enquirer anyway? :hmm:

So he could throw in the Edwards reference.

I figured. But one cannot claim to be reading the National Enquirer and then 2 posts later claim they weren't reading the National Enquirer. It is a....let's see how I can say this politely....a contractiction.:cool2:

Do you mean that only because of the OWS movement they finally went after BOA?

Just checking.

Are you trying to discredit OWS by putting words in DC's mouth? If you are actually trying to imply that OWS did not contribute to this accountability action, and that "the system" simply would have reached this on its own, you are completely out of touch with reality, Reba.

You know, it's okay to give OWS a pat on the back once in a while. They might be a bunch of dirty stinking hippies, but they're doing more for you and me than the big banks ever have.

Are you trying to discredit OWS by putting words in DC's mouth? If you are actually trying to imply that OWS did not contribute to this accountability action, and that "the system" simply would have reached this on its own, you are completely out of touch with reality, Reba.

You know, it's okay to give OWS a pat on the back once in a while. They might be a bunch of dirty stinking hippies, but they're doing more for you and me than the big banks ever have.

To give you an idea of how little settlement suits affected the banks:

Goldman Sach - 550 million dollar fine. 13.3 billion in profits same year.

Judge Jed Rakoff just rejected Citigroup's proposal to settle at $285 million. Their net income in the year 2010 was 60.5 billion.

The problems with settlements is that it usually includes a clause to be excluded from future civil litigations and to prevent anyone from looking at their books.

Did anyone see Dylan Ratigans' rant against Wall Street owning the US government? He's my new hero :) "People of the United States of America, your Congress is bought..."

This video has CC and accompanying transcript.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isTefClgPgE&cc=1]Dylan Ratigan Rant, Wake-Up Call + Subtitle - YouTube[/ame]

Did OWS have any impact? Well, I am sure the attorney generals of Massachusetts, New York and California are appreciating the support not to agree to settlements.

To give you an idea of how little settlement suits affected the banks:

Goldman Sach - 550 million dollar fine. 13.3 billion in profits same year.

Judge Jed Rakoff just rejected Citigroup's proposal to settle at $285 million. Their net income in the year 2010 was 60.5 billion.

The problems with settlements is that it usually includes a clause to be excluded from future civil litigations and to prevent anyone from looking at their books.

Did anyone see Dylan Ratigans' rant against Wall Street owning the US government? He's my new hero :) "People of the United States of America, your Congress is bought..."

This video has CC and accompanying transcript.

Dylan Ratigan Rant, Wake-Up Call + Subtitle - YouTube

Did OWS have any impact? Well, I am sure the attorney generals of Massachusetts, New York and California are appreciating the support not to agree to settlements.

Had seen this before, but thanks for posting it.

Oh, yes. OWS has had an impact. The country is not as unaware as many would have it be.

Yeah, it started 2 years ago.... I am surprised the % is only 76

Then again Congress is always hated.....comes with the job

Yeah but the previous low was 29% in 1993. However that won't matter much as the polled think their own congressman deserves to be reelected. I dunno if the current low is an all time lowest. I will need to do some digging.

Yeah but the previous low was 29% in 1993. However that won't matter much as the polled think their own congressman deserves to be reelected. I dunno if the current low is an all time lowest. I will need to do some digging.

The all time low was 13% last month in Gallup's history and Gallup has been polling stuff like this since 1936. I don't put much stock in polls but that even that should tell you and me something!

Yeah, it started 2 years ago.... I am surprised the % is only 76

Then again Congress is always hated.....comes with the job

This is a sad reality. Our elected leaders have abused their authority and power so many times in recent years that their office is no longer held in respect. In fact, they no longer respect each other or their superior, the POTUS, as evidenced by the kind of rhetoric coming out of Washington. I mean, yelling out that the president is a liar in the middle of his SoU address? Very classy. Our leaders have very much earned the little respect they're shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back