Declaration of Occupy Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas Sowell: There has probably never been a time in the history of this country when we more urgently needed to get a president out of the White House before he ruined the country.
When I saw this, I thought this was a typo but I just checked National Review online and it's there word for word.. Someone fell asleep when proofreading Sowell's article.

ah that buffoon who compared Obama with Hitler and supported by Sarah Palin for that? also that buffoon whose research on price gouging was debunked by Nobel Price economist Amartya Sen? and that very buffoon whose book was criticized for its fallacious argument by William Julius Wilson, a sociologist who holds 41 honorary degrees and a bunch of highest honors and awards?

That comment alone ought to be enough for further investigation and surveillance under Patriot Act for the suspicion of inciting subversion of state power or advocating or approving the commission of acts of violence to overthrow the government of the United States.

Thomas Sowell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sowell has been criticized for various remarks such as a comparison he made between President Barack Obama and Adolf Hitler in an editorial for Investor's Business Daily[29] after the creation of a relief fund for the BP oil spill. This has been criticized by liberal groups such as Media Matters[30] and the Democratic National Committee.[31] However, Republicans such as Sarah Palin[31] and Representative Louie Gohmert[32] have endorsed Sowell's comparison. Sowell was also criticized for an editorial in which he stated that the Democratic Party played the Race card, instigating ethnic divisions and separatism, and argued that a similar situation occurred between the Tutsis and the Hutus in Rwanda.[33][34]

Just the usual run of the mill criticism - pales in comparison to the man's actual accomplishments in life.

Another thing that amazes me is that as the chancellor of the university her English is lacking! I am not opposed to legal immigration and I know that is what built this country, but why can't someone in her postion speak better English? She is the chancellor of an American University! Amazing, the chancellor admits that the students were in violation of University policy for safety reasons!

Hate to say it but, California is a land of diversity. We have many citizens here who speak more than one language, and their native language might not have been english.

If she can perform her work adequately, who are you to judge over the voice quality? Deaf people don't have great speech skills, yet I wouldn't judge their english by that.

That law is for civilians. Nothing about policies regarding the use of pepper spray used by LEOs when allowed.

I didn't say it was a law for LEOs. But the actions of that UCD officer were in violation of California state law, which I posted. Also, it would appear that it is in violation of UCDPD policy as well, as the officer has been placed on leave and will most likely be fired.

Does that mean you are unable to argue/debate effectively and instead prefer to call names and innuendos on the way out when people see differently or disagree?

Actually, ad hominem attacks are something I rarely do, and my record backs that up. But alas, I am human, and when I become so fed up with someone who keeps spewing the same bullshit, regardless of how many times he or she is refuted, sometimes the only thing to do is call them out for the person they are. Aside from that, you forfeited your right to lecture on the ethics of fair debate a long time ago. I think everyone on this entire board, aside from a couple of your flunkies, would agree with me on that.

But this is not a debate. This is a case of a few people on the fringe who are using technicalities to deny what everyone else plainly can see. There's no debate here, just your willful ignorance.

Hate to say it but, California is a land of diversity. We have many citizens here who speak more than one language, and their native language might not have been english.

If she can perform her work adequately, who are you to judge over the voice quality? Deaf people don't have great speech skills, yet I wouldn't judge their english by that.

I probably shouldn't have made that comment but I believe in open and honest conversation. Sometimes my feelings get in the way, much in the same manner that I have observed others on this forum doing. Doesn't make it right so please forgive me. By the way, I would never put down a deaf or HOH person for their speech.

kokonut,

My point exactly and I would have made it earlier if my first 5 posts hadn't had to be moderated. Not that that's a bad idea, just different from other forums I belong to. The use of pepper spray in most jurisdictions by civilians is only allowed for use in self defense as you indicate. It is different for police officers based on their department policy. The reason being is that as I indicated before, when a LEO gives you a lawful order and you refuse, they shouldn't have to risk being assaulted to take you into custody. This allows them to use things such as pepper spray and tasers to get compliance before going hands on. In any case they generally always give warnings about what will happen if you don't comply.

So cops are supposed to warn you first? funny how I never heard them say "if you disobey me, I will choke you, stranglehold you, throw you to the ground, pepper-spray you, electro-shock you, so on and so forth."

If cops have a right to arrest, that's fine but to use excessive force is not necessary.

Risk being assaulted?:laugh2: What does the chancellor's English skills have to do with this campus cop's action on innocent, peaceful protestors? What do the chancellor's English skills have to do with her intelligence and ability to run a university? Strawmen. Stick to the topic.

Who are you really?

Jillio,

Yes, risk being assaulted. They (police) were sent there to perform a task. They didn't just show up on their own. They made a request and it wasn't heeded. Imagine if they had tried to go hands on with those refusing to leave and the protestors behind them attacked. They would have been surrounded and could have easily been over taken and injured or killed. Pepper spray poses no permanent risk of injury and that is one reason it is used and called non-lethal. I am who I said I was and Steinhauer can attest to that. How can you legitimately stand up for something when you weren't there to see it happen?

Given the purpose for your being here, did you really expect to get a warm, welcome to the Deaf community welcome?:roll: You came here to troll.

By the way jillio, I was invited here and did not come here to troll nor do I do otherwise anywhere else! I have a great love and respect for those in the deaf community.

I probably shouldn't have made that comment but I believe in open and honest conversation. Sometimes my feelings get in the way, much in the same manner that I have observed others on this forum doing. Doesn't make it right so please forgive me. By the way, I would never put down a deaf or HOH person for their speech.

That's cool, glad that is settled. The thing with californian universities and schools is that it's not as one race as you might experience in the east (yes, I've been across many eastern states, lived there).

The student makeup of schools are the other way around. Minorities make up the majority of the school population. I think, at my alma mater (it's another UC) the makeup is ~50% Asian. Caucasians were like 20-25%. I believe this is reflected in a lot of major metropolitans like NYC, DC, Houston, Vancouver, Toronto, etc.

The truth these days is that a lot of the students at schools are becoming more and more bilingual.

So cops are supposed to warn you first? funny how I never heard them say "if you disobey me, I will choke you, stranglehold you, throw you to the ground, pepper-spray you, electro-shock you, so on and so forth."

If cops have a right to arrest, that's fine but to use excessive force is not necessary.

Yes Caroline,

Good cops usually do warn you about the consequences of your actions! If attacked they will respond accordingly. I have told people they were going to get sprayed or tasered for their actions and behaviors. It is the responsible thing to do.

If that's how you really feel, then it's good that you posted it. Like Emerson says, speak your words like cannonballs. Obviously it's a saying that I live by. . .

But, I'm afraid to say that you are absolutely wrong. Linguists have debunked the mentality that you expressed time and time again. What you are doing here is "othering" the chancellor of UCD. It's not because she speaks poor English that you have a problem with her; it's because she does not speak the same kind of English as yourself.

I taught many international students as a college instructor (up to four or five international students per class of twenty). The majority of them had a better written command of English than most of my native students, however it was more difficult to understand them when they spoke simply because American English was not their mother tongue. In some cases, like the case of East Indians, they learn British English (which explains their strong written command of it). This complicates the situation when they come to America because their pronunciation is trying to follow a different pronunciation to begin with. However, according to the British, we Americans make no sense when we talk as well. If you went to England, would you be offended if someone told you to "SPEAK ENGLISH BETTER!"?

I'd be willing to bet this woman can read, write, and comprehend English at a much higher level than 99.99% of the American population, probably even more than yourself, but because she has an accent, there will always be people who mistake that for inferiority. It's unfortunate, it's prejudiced, and it's just plain wrong.

How about their English?

I agree, feelings get in the way. If I refuse to obey a cop in a protest, too bad. I will be cool and collected while the cop goes bonkers. :giggle:

They would have been surrounded and could have easily been over taken and injured or killed.
:laugh2:

Yea, that 82 year old woman could have been a NINJA!

DS, the Raging Grannies strike fear into the hearts of gown men. lol

If that's how you really feel, then it's good that you posted it. Like Emerson says, speak your words like cannonballs. Obviously it's a saying that I live by. . .

But, I'm afraid to say that you are absolutely wrong. Linguists have debunked the mentality that you expressed time and time again. What you are doing here is "othering" the chancellor of UCD. It's not because she speaks poor English that you have a problem with her; it's because she does not speak the same kind of English as yourself.

I taught many international students as a college instructor (up to four or five international students per class of twenty). The majority of them had a better written command of English than most of my native students, however it was more difficult to understand them when they spoke simply because American English was not their mother tongue. In some cases, like the case of East Indians, they learn British English (which explains their strong written command of it). This complicates the situation when they come to America because their pronunciation is trying to follow a different pronunciation to begin with. However, according to the British, we Americans make no sense when we talk as well. If you went to England, would you be offended if someone told you to "SPEAK ENGLISH BETTER!"?

I'd be willing to bet this woman can read, write, and comprehend English at a much higher level than 99.99% of the American population, probably even more than yourself, but because she has an accent, there will always be people who mistake that for inferiority. It's unfortunate, it's prejudiced, and it's just plain wrong.
I don't think my doctor is from East India. I will have to ask her what part of India she is from the next time I see her.

I don't think my doctor is from East India. I will have to ask her what part of India she is from the next time I see her.

When I say "East Indian," I am referring to all peoples from the Indian subcontinent, as a way to distinguish from Native Americans, who still refer to themselves as "Indians" in many cases.

The doctor who performed robotic surgery on me Oct. 3 was from India. He took out my right kidney, the tube and part of my bladder. Today I can do cartwheels. :lol:

The doctor who performed robotic surgery on me Oct. 3 was from India. He took out my right kidney, the tube and part of my bladder. Today I can do cartwheels. :lol:

Yeah, but can he speak English perfectly? Hmm?? Hmmmmmmm?? If he can't, he can just keep his non-perfect-English-speaking hands away from my made-in-America kidneys!

Chancellor Linda Katehi
November 22, 2011
UC Davis

Dear Chancellor Katehi:

With a heavy heart and substantial deliberation, we the undersigned faculty of the UC Davis physics department send you this letter expressing our lack of confidence in your leadership and calling for your prompt resignation in the wake of the outrageous, unnecessary, and brutal pepper spraying episode on campus Friday, Nov. 18.

The reasons for this are as follows.

• The demonstrations were nonviolent, and the student encampments posed no threat to the university community. The outcomes of sending in police in Oakland, Berkeley, New York City, Portland, and Seattle should have led you to exhaust all other options before resorting to police action.

• Authorizing force after a single day of encampments constitutes a gross violation of the UC Davis principles of community, especially the commitment to civility: “We affirm the right of freedom of expression within our community and affirm our commitment to the highest standards of civility and decency towards all.”

• Your response in the aftermath of these incidents has failed to restore trust in your leadership in the university community.

We have appreciated your leadership during these difficult times on working to maintain and enhance excellence at UC Davis. However, this incident and the inadequacy of your response to it has already irreparably damaged the image of UC Davis and caused the faculty, students, parents, and alumni of UC Davis to lose confidence in your leadership. At this point we feel that the best thing that you can do for this university is to take full responsibility and resign immediately. Our campus community deserves a fresh start.

Sincerely,
[signed by UC physicists]

Uh, oh. Now, you're pissed off that illogical, extremists physicists. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back