Debate over American POW exchanged for 5 Taliban prisoners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this sailor voluntarily joined or drafted to Navy? I remember about draft during Vietnam War era and my father voluntarily joined Marines after received GED in 1972.

If new soldier recently join in the military and realize about not satisfied with military life after 1 month of service then they can quit or can't quit? I'm not sure about minimum years that required to serve in the military.

Sorry, I forgot to mention when. This happened around 1988. He volunteered.

The draft ended in 1975. Draftees served 2 years.

No you cannot quit whenever you want. Enlisted sign a contract: 3, 4, or 6 years most of the time. Officers serve at the pleasure of the President. There is no end time. They may apply to leave or retire. I saw some officers get out after 10 years. Most stay 30-40 years.

No you cannot quit whenever you want. Enlisted sign a contract: 3, 4, or 6 years most of the time. Officers serve at the pleasure of the President. There is no end time. They may apply to leave or retire. I saw some officers get out after 10 years. Most stay 30-40 years.

Yes, I agree with exist rule to prevent quitters and abuses.

High school seniors need to think twice before they join the military and if they have social issue (bad behavior, depression, mental illness) so they are unfit for military.

My father retired after 20 years of service and my mother was tired of frequently relocated every 2 years since married in 1985. They moved in different states - 1987, 1989 and 1991 until retirement in 1993.

My wife's grandfather was a Navy Officer for 40 years. D-Day Veteran (3rd wave) and Korea. http://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/cleveland/obituary.aspx?pid=171195986

My best friend - will be commemorating him next summer on a coast to coast motorcycle trip.

Yes, I agree with exist rule to prevent quitters and abuses.

High school seniors need to think twice before they join the military and if they have social issue (bad behavior, depression, mental illness) so they are unfit for military.

My father retired after 20 years of service and my mother was tired of frequently relocated every 2 years since married in 1985. They moved in different states - 1987, 1989 and 1991 until retirement in 1993.

I agree. Social adaptation is not always readily apparent when they go to a recruiter. We were fortunate, I was only stationed in NJ, FL, WI and SC. In SC I served at 6 different commands. Reba was in IL, FL and SC.

I agree. Social adaptation is not always readily apparent when they go to a recruiter. We were fortunate, I was only stationed in NJ, FL, WI and SC. In SC I served at 6 different commands. Reba was in IL, FL and SC.

Oh wow, my father was stationed in VA, NC, FL, CA and Philippine, but my father stationed at Quantico at twice or may more - first was in 1970s and again in 1991.

Oh wow, my father was stationed in VA, NC, FL, CA and Philippine, but my father stationed at Quantico at twice or may more - first was in 1970s and again in 1991.

I'll bet he was surprised at the physical changes returning to Quantico after so many years.

I'll bet he was surprised at the physical changes returning to Quantico after so many years.

Yes, we visited Quantico in 2011 for first time in 18 years and Prince William County is very sprawling suburb and more diverse too. I noticed about there are larger latino population that was very small or rare in early 1990s. Marine base in Quantico has new housing on Purvis Rd and commissary is on Russell Rd. but back in 1993, there were older WWI era white houses that where my father lost temper and punched at wall so he had to pay for repair right after we moved out.

We will visit Quantico again in August.

When my husband was in Iraq, one of his fellow soldiers went home on leave and didn't return for 9 months. I'm not sure if she received a rate reduction but she was demoted to an E1. My husband was an E5 when he finished his tour, and they had joined at the same time so that was a big demotion for her.

When my husband was in Iraq, one of his fellow soldiers went home on leave and didn't return for 9 months. I'm not sure if she received a rate reduction but she was demoted to an E1. My husband was an E5 when he finished his tour, and they had joined at the same time so that was a big demotion for her.
Demoted to E1 is a reduction in rate. E1 is the lowest pay grade.

She misled the public about Benghazi too.

On Tuesday, no less a figure than Ret. U.S. Army Gen. Barry McCaffrey definitively asserted that she had.

“I think what bothers people is having our commander-in-chief on television putting a glow of euphoria around this guy,” McCaffrey began, summarizing what he thought was fueling the backlash against this prisoner swap. “And then followed on with Dr. Susan Rice, who’s such a brilliant person, calling him having him served with honor and distinction when they knew full well this wasn’t the case.”

That is an especially polite way of saying the administration used Rice to wilfully mislead the public.

The distinction between this incident and the mess resulting from Rice’s embarrassing post-Benghazi Sunday show appearances on September 16, 2012 is that the White House cannot now claim that Rice was merely relating the best information the administration had at the time. Why? The average American with an internet connection had better information at the time.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gen-barry-mccaffrey-susan-rice-misled-the-public-on-sunday-shows-again/

If i were to give my 100% honest opinion about the President, I would be banned from AD forever and quite possibly put on an NSA redflag list.

The negotiation to rescue the hostage is done by group of officials - Obama isn't only one person.

Obama impeachment is pure political circus and he's not going be convicted of offenses due to nature of senate - require 2/3 to convict and it is waste of money.

I'm going eat a big bowl of Blue Bell ice cream while politicians talk about impeachment and there was talking about impeachment for years.

Demoted to E1 is a reduction in rate. E1 is the lowest pay grade.

Gotcha. I had meant reduction in rate of pay but I suppose that goes exactly hand-in-hand with reduction of rank. I was not saying it right.

he supposed to have gone AWOL where would he gone to in Afganistan limited options..i only seen small bits of news don't know all the facts

There is debate about 30 days notice is unconstitutional.

Ms. Hayden’s statement was a step away from earlier signs that Mr. Obama had simply overridden the statute. On Sunday, for example, when Mr. Hagel was asked about not obeying the notice law, he told reporters, “We believe that the president of the United States is commander in chief, has the power and authority to make the decision that he did under Article II of the Constitution.”

When the Bush legal team made their frequent claims that the commander in chief could bypass statutory restrictions at his discretion, it, too, softened those claims by saying it would “construe” what appeared to be legal mandates as merely advisory or as containing unwritten exceptions to avoid the constitutional conflicts it claimed would otherwise arise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/prisoner-deal-puts-president-on-defensive.html

The constitution trumps statue.

What is wrong with this woman?!

White House National Security Adviser Susan Rice said:

No, that's not right.

No, he didn't and that statement is an insult to those who did. :mad:

Susan Rice Cites ‘Sacred Obligation’ in Making Deal for Bergdahl’s Freedom - ABC News

I saw that on TV and I thought WTF! The soldiers that dies looking for Bergdahl are the heroes , Bergdahl put himself in a dangerous situation by leaving his base then cried he wanted to go home when he was a POW .
A hero does not abandon his men in war.

I saw that on TV and I thought WTF! The soldiers that dies looking for Bergdahl are the heroes , Bergdahl put himself in a dangerous situation by leaving his base then cried he wanted to go home when he was a POW .
A hero does not abandon his men in war.

would it not be better to wait before judgements....this man may been stressed so much that he did this...what ever it is he paid heavy price.Dont all POW cry to go home

The negotiation to rescue the hostage is done by group of officials - Obama isn't only one person….
The President is the only one who can authorize the action. He has the final responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back