Debate over American POW exchanged for 5 Taliban prisoners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the Taliban had a government? I mean, didn't they rule Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001, when we illegally invaded?
Well, two things.

Not the same group had grabbed this guy.

Also, this guy was taken after 2001.

Well, two things.

Not the same group had grabbed this guy.

Also, this guy was taken after 2001.

So why are we calling them terrorists? Seems like WE were the terrorists.
Anyway, I am glad he is back.

What if he was a member of your family? You would want them to do ANYTHING to bring him back.

What if a conversion to Islam was one of the requirements for your child to be released?

So why are we calling them terrorists? Seems like WE were the terrorists.
Anyway, I am glad he is back.

Ah, I can see where your confusion lies. The victims of 9/11 were not put on trial before they were assassinated. They were stripped of their habeus corpus rights (which un uniformed enemy combatants aka "terrorists") do not honor.

Ah, I can see where your confusion lies. The victims of 9/11 were not put on trial before they were assassinated. They were stripped of their habeus corpus rights (which un uniformed enemy combatants aka "terrorists") do not honor.

What did Afghanistan have to do with 9-11???

There is no rule against prisoner exchange, per se. We are allowed to arrange prisoner exchanges with enemy governments. We aren't allowed to arrange exchanges with terrorist groups.

As I understand it, yes, we are. It was supposed to require a 30 notice to congress, that is what the fuss is about. Right?

The deserter argument is just a distraction. And, if true, would be dealt with later.

The war with Afghanistan will not make Al Qaeda and Taliban go away and there are many extremists to join so could throw Afghanistan into civil war again.

If Afghanistan goes into civil war so I'm against ALL military action (beside air bombing and missile strikes) and just let them to screw up and if China or Russia want to intervene, that's fine with me but it will not solve anything.

Nothing will make extremism go away. And, in the case of Al Qaeda, you would have to get rid of religion. This isn't al fix all type problem. And, since you can't fix it, you try to minimize or hurt is as much a possible, which we did.

As I understand it, yes, we are. It was supposed to require a 30 notice to congress, that is what the fuss is about. Right?
Correct, the President didn't follow the 30-day notice to Congress.

The deserter argument is just a distraction. And, if true, would be dealt with later.
Not really just a distraction. We've known about the desertion allegation since he first went missing.

Nothing will make extremism go away. And, in the case of Al Qaeda, you would have to get rid of religion. This isn't al fix all type problem. And, since you can't fix it, you try to minimize or hurt is as much a possible, which we did.

Al Qaeda could growing into larger groups after forced recruitment.

Correct, the President didn't follow the 30-day notice to Congress.

Not really just a distraction. We've known about the desertion allegation since he first went missing.

Even if I think he is a deserter, he's still our deserter. And, an American soldier no matter the circumstances. It's not like we are bringing home another country's soldier here.

We are ending a war, this is a good thing.

Even if I think he is a deserter, he's still our deserter. And, an American soldier no matter the circumstances. It's not like we are bringing home another country's soldier here.
No one is begrudging that he's coming home. The criticism is how it was done, and how it was played up.

Al Qaeda could growing into larger groups after forced recruitment.

So are we. Have you not been reading JSOC is certainly not curtailing it's reach or operations. We're not sending any drones home.

No one is begrudging that he's coming home. The criticism is how it was done, and how it was played up.

Actually, they are. That's what the desertion sideshow is about. If they are not arguing he shouldn't have been traded, what are they arguing? I've only read one article about the improper notification. Everything else, is about whether he deserted and who we traded.

Congress knew it was coming:
Obama defends decision to trade 5 Guantanamo detainees for Bergdahl - The Washington Post

What did Afghanistan have to do with 9-11???

Harbored terrorists responsible. The democratically elected government we put in place cooperated with the removal of them.

Also, I have to wonder whether the trade is actually to our benefit? Would we gain a tactical advantage having people we've already caught and know leading the enemy?

I can't help but think there is something more to it.

Harbored terrorists responsible. The democratically elected government we put in place cooperated with the removal of them.

What terrorists?
Never mind. You can believe what you want, and the same with me.

What are you doing if democratically elected government collapse and drive Afghanistan into civil war again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back