Debate over American POW exchanged for 5 Taliban prisoners

Status
Not open for further replies.
would it not be better to wait before judgements....this man may been stressed so much that he did this...what ever it is he paid heavy price.Dont all POW cry to go home
The difference is, real POW's don't desert their command to voluntarily put themselves into a situation where they become a hostage.

would it not be better to wait before judgements....this man may been stressed so much that he did this...what ever it is he paid heavy price.Dont all POW cry to go home

Yeah ,but I dated a guy that was in Vietnam War and he was stress out too
but he did not walk off his base and I dated a guy was that taken as a prisoner of war and that guy is was hero , he stayed with his men . I don't agree that POW that was just release is a hero. I bought a flag in honor of my old boyfriend that was a POW . There was field of honor in my city and I brought a flag for my old b/f , he had just dies that year , and I wanted to honor him for fighting for our country and being a Hero.

The President is the only one who can authorize the action. He has the final responsibility.

Are you trying to blame on our president for political gain?

I don't see one side is one of most truth, but I only see two sides - left and right that blame on others.

. . . and so it begins:

"The family of a pregnant American woman who went missing in Afghanistan in late 2012 with her Canadian husband received two videos last year in which the couple asked the U.S. government to help free them from Taliban captors, The Associated Press has learned.

The families decided to make the videos public now, in light of the publicity surrounding the weekend rescue of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was freed from Taliban custody in exchange for the release of five high-level Taliban suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba…."

AP Exclusive: Western couple held in Afghanistan - Connecticut Post

The difference is, real POW's don't desert their command to voluntarily put themselves into a situation where they become a hostage.

Yeah , like I posted the guy I dated was in Korean War and he was 'taken' as a POW, there is a huge difference from being taken as POW and becoming a POW b/c you deserted your post.

Are you saying that it wasn't the President who authorized the transfer? Is he denying that he authorized the transfer?

If not, then how is that "blame"?

Are you saying that it wasn't the President who authorized the transfer? Is he denying that he authorized the transfer?

If not, then how is that "blame"?

It was group of officials that where they discuss in conference and they made recommendation, so Obama make decision to take action based on recommendation.

I don't entirely blame on Obama for trade 5 Gitmo detainees for 1 POW solider.

Also, they said that they have constitution power to take action. If you don't like their action so you should ask the congress to pass the constitutional amendment to strip the commander in chief or limit the president's power on military action.

This action is unfortunately pathetic but it shouldn't used as political gain or political circus, similar to Benghazi attack.

. . . and so it begins:

"The family of a pregnant American woman who went missing in Afghanistan in late 2012 with her Canadian husband received two videos last year in which the couple asked the U.S. government to help free them from Taliban captors, The Associated Press has learned.

The families decided to make the videos public now, in light of the publicity surrounding the weekend rescue of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was freed from Taliban custody in exchange for the release of five high-level Taliban suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba…."

AP Exclusive: Western couple held in Afghanistan - Connecticut Post

I can see why the family feel the way they do , and it would had nice if the people part of this trade too. But this by NO way mean I agree with the trade of letting 5 high level terrorists free. I bet if the couple had been part of the trade I am sure the Taliban would had wanted more terrorists freed.

I being somewhat dozy but where would he dessert to and man like him would understand the problems of doing this so why try..could it be he just went for a walk got lost or that stress related disorder,even on a co-vert operation and how many others over there...all seems odd

I can see why the family feel the way they do , and it would had nice if the people part of this trade too. But this by NO way mean I agree with the trade of letting 5 high level terrorists free. I bet if the couple had been part of the trade I am sure the Taliban would had wanted more terrorists freed.

I am certain the Taliban wanted more then five freed. Say, they ask for 25 to be freed and the bartering begins, with the end result being five.

It was group of officials that where they discuss in conference and they made recommendation, so Obama make decision to take action based on recommendation.

I don't entirely blame on Obama for trade 5 Gitmo detainees for 1 POW solider.

Also, they said that they have constitution power to take action. If you don't like their action so you should ask the congress to pass the constitutional amendment to strip the commander in chief or limit the president's power on military action.

This action is unfortunately pathetic but it shouldn't used as political gain or political circus, similar to Benghazi attack.
All I stated was that the President is responsible for authorizing the trade. That is correct. I don't understand why you're tossing in all that other stuff.

I don't see one side is one of most truth, but I only see two sides - left and right that blame on others.

If you don't think is going to have a big impact on the next presidential election you're in a for a big surprise .

I being somewhat dozy but where would he dessert to and man like him would understand the problems of doing this so why try..could it be he just went for a walk got lost or that stress related disorder,even on a co-vert operation and how many others over there...all seems odd
He could desert to the Afghans.

He intentionally sent his personal stuff home ahead of time, and left a letter of intent for his platoon.

If you read the Rolling Stone link, it will give you more background about him and his family.

I am certain the Taliban wanted more then five freed. Say, they ask for 25 to be freed and the bartering begins, with the end result being five.

Yeah , I was just saying if that couple had been included in the trade more terrorists could had been freed , the Taliban came out way ahead in this and this is an embarrassment and scary to me , as it show the whole world what a weak president we have. Obama was not able to get the Taliban to accept 3 for 1 . How the hell is any country going to take us serious after this ?

Yeah , I was just saying if that couple had been included in the trade more terrorists could had been freed , the Taliban came out way ahead in this and this is an embarrassment and scary to me , as it show the whole world what a weak president we have. Obama was not able to get the Taliban to accept 3 for 1 . How the hell is any country going to take us serious after this ?

Maybe because we live in a time of transitions? :dunno2:

All I stated was that the President is responsible for authorizing the trade. That is correct. I don't understand why you're tossing in all that other stuff.

I respect your opinion for blame on Obama.

but I think it is stupid to use POW exchange and Benghazi attack for political gain, even you seriously care about tragic event, especially Benghazi attack and our politicians started to have political circus. No wonder about our congress get historically low approval rating while president usually get low to mid 40's.

I want to know about who started an idea about pick 5 Gitmo detainees.

If you don't think is going to have a big impact on the next presidential election you're in a for a big surprise .

No, we had 2012 Benghazi attack that happened during election year - about 2 months before election but Obama still won the election.

The military is not my priority because our congress isn't mature enough to consider military action.

No, we had 2012 Benghazi attack that happened during election year - about 2 months before election but Obama still won the election.

The military is not my priority because our congress isn't mature enough to consider military action.

I was talking about the release of the 5 terrorists for one POW .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back