Deaf view on a CI kid... its a bummer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the thread you started on European sperm. Kind of the same thing, isn't it?

I just read the thread you started on European sperm. Kind of the same thing, isn't it?

:lol: I laughed when I read that article at week ago and thought to myself to share those thread with anyone that some posters would compare my thread over sperm with CI... Nobody noticed for week until today... I read your mind when I saw your post in my thread... :lol:

:lol: I laughed when I read that article at week ago and thought to myself to share those thread with anyone that some posters would compare my thread over sperm with CI... Nobody noticed for week until today... I read your mind when I saw your post in my thread... :lol:

LOL!:laugh2: I just found it today. I figured you would already see it the way I did!:giggle:

It has nothing to do with allowing a deaf child to be able to hear.

If one likes to hear ....that's why some believe in " individual " choice...

While it is true that cochlear implants tend to work better than hearing aids and if that choice is made particularly by hearing parents, it is very important that that CI child is still exposed to the deaf world and ASL...I think that the debate here is that some hearing parents don't believe sign language is needed only oral..

And look around you, not every deaf child wants to hear....

And what people are intend to keep forgetting is that CI children are still deaf...

And what people are intend to keep forgetting is that CI children are still deaf...

And yet, Rick, Cloggy, Lilly's Dad and other parents of CI implanted children, along with implanted adults like myself here continuously say that a child with a CI is STILL deaf. Cloggy pointed that out just the other day.

Agree with u on that one, Angel about children with CI still being deaf.

Today, as I was sitting on the desk in the living room, my 2 year old son went into the payro. I heard a scream from there and I ran to check on him. He was wailing cuz the toy fell on his foot. I am still deaf even though I heard my son scream from another room. Unlike a hearing prson, I rely on HAs to hear just like children with CIs needing the processor to be able to hear. Just because I can hear and process sounds pretty well with my HAs, it doesn't mean I am a hearing person. I was taught to believe that I was a hearing person growing up so when I was faced with my shortcomings in some situations, the hearing people put the blame on me cuz they saw me as a hearing person and expected me to function like one. Well, duh!!! I couldn't to the degree they could and they were the ones who messed up by not realizing nor respecting my deaf needs.

Do I want to hear better than I can now? Not enough to go thru a surgery. Iam fine with whatever hearing I have and I have learned how to adapt. Now, life isn't so much of a struggle. For the first time, I feel normal thanks to ASL and the Deaf community.

However, when a child with a CI takes off the processor to go swimming, take a shower, sleep, or whatever, they will still need visual cues such as flashing alarm clocks, rely on the behavior of hearing people if the lifeguard tells people to get out of the water, need someone to flick the lights to get their attention, and more. That's how deaf people adapt, not hearing people so children with CIs are not hearing people.

And yet, Rick, Cloggy, Lilly's Dad and other parents of CI implanted children, along with implanted adults like myself here continuously say that a child with a CI is STILL deaf. Cloggy pointed that out just the other day.

Yep, you say it........but then you also keep saying how your child or yourself can hear, and how preferable that is to not hearing. Incongruence.

Then explain to me why sign language is not required if CI children is still deaf?...

And then explain to me why Cloggy keeps saying my chid CAN hear?....even if she wasn't wearing her implant? :hmm: I had to ask you this qq instead of Cloggy cause it seem you always jumping in and defending him....

Then explain to me why sign language is not required if CI children is still deaf?...

Very good question.....I'd like to see that answer, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it means " lazy " but, I do believe that it has to do with " unacceptable " when the hearin' parents/people view " deaf " as a 2nd class or low rank class, because of its lackin' hearin'. It's why I said way earlier in my post that " it's the easy way out " for the hearin' parents, because of its 1st class or " superior " class to them for the deaf child to be able to talk just like anyone else who can hear and talk. It boosts the hearin' parents' pride.

I don't think it means " lazy " but, I do believe that it has to do with " unacceptable " when the hearin' parents/people view " deaf " as a 2nd class or low rank class, because of its lackin' hearin'. It's why I said way earlier in my post that " it's the easy way out " for the hearin' parents, because of its 1st class or " superior " class to them for the deaf child to be able to talk just like anyone else who can hear and talk. It boosts the hearin' parents' pride.

You are very insightful, Maria.

Lazy means more of moving slowly in teaching their CI children sign language, cause they rather to relay more on oral than signs...and I think that what Cheri was trying to say at the begining because nowadays parents are more interesting in teaching their CI children oral method only....Theres no reason to attack her just cause of how she sees it....

What happened to agree to disagree instead of throwing a temper tantrum?...

Fuzzy,

If you just are here to put me down, I'm not going to sit here and take it. I already apologized for my mistake, If you can't find it in your heart to forgive then you're a bitter person. If I did wanted you to look bad, I wouldn't have apologized to you right there. Grow up, this isn't high school and You sure act like it is. :roll:

And for my kids, My oldest son is an honor-roll student for over five years, and I'm sitting on my butt?. I've been a single mom for over twelve period of years, and I've took care of them all by myself with no help at all from anyone. I use my voice to communicate with them, they do signs rarely and I don't even force them to sign to me, not once. Both of my boys have not been a failure in school, I made sure that education is important to them and how it offer opportunities in the society. Enough said by me.

I was appalled by what Fuzzy posted about u as a parent. That was awful. :applause: to u for raising your children as a single mom. I know it is not easy as my brother and I were raised by a single mom so I have seen her struggles. She is my hero and I am sure u are your children's hero. :hug:

Did you make sure your kids got the best education, go to university, have a degree so in our highly competetive times they will have better chances at GOOD job and financial security, not merely MEDIOCRE job and so-so income DESPITE their disabilities? oh, your kids don't have disability, hmm.
Yes, what did YOU do apart from sitting on your butt and telling them "you do what you want honey it's "your choice"' that makes you so SPECIAL??
Fuzzy

LOL. Mr Know it all Fuzzy!!

I am single DEAF parent and my eldest son (hearing) just got his BA Graduated from University last July, my second son (deaf) attend boarding school for the deaf named Mary Hare Grammar School for the Deaf, he is now in year 10 and got level 7 on 5 subjects and he is 14 years old reading age of 18 years old and can hear with his HA's Also he wrote his 3 books now starting writing on his 4th book so far,
I does have my very poor english in writing and i does can understanding read people's highest standard english whom does better than myself, as I have nothing to be shame it is they way I am, am very proud of my kids, and does always be there for my kids to support them whatever they do. :)

i better not say no more because i would have say something nasty but not worth now i can see what sort of person you are Fuzzy,

Hey neecy dont need to jump in and support Fuzzy when he can speak it for himself. thank you.. :wave:

Fuzzy,

If you just are here to put me down, I'm not going to sit here and take it. I already apologized for my mistake, If you can't find it in your heart to forgive then you're a bitter person. If I did wanted you to look bad, I wouldn't have apologized to you right there. Grow up, this isn't high school and You sure act like it is. :roll:

And for my kids, My oldest son is an honor-roll student for over five years, and I'm sitting on my butt?. I've been a single mom for over twelve period of years, and I've took care of them all by myself with no help at all from anyone. I use my voice to communicate with them, they do signs rarely and I don't even force them to sign to me, not once. Both of my boys have not been a failure in school, I made sure that education is important to them and how it offer opportunities in the society. Enough said by me.

:applause: for Cheri! I give you the Good Mom Award! I know how hard it is to be a single parent!

I was appalled by what Fuzzy posted about u as a parent. That was awful. :applause: to u for raising your children as a single mom. I know it is not easy as my brother and I were raised by a single mom so I have seen her struggles. She is my hero and I am sure u are your children's hero. :hug:

:hug: Thanks and Yes it had been a struggle, We survived, I knew things were gonna get worst before it will get better. ;)

She only did that on purpose because of what I said about hearing parents, but I sure did not even named any member in particle as a hearing parents, I was speaking generally. What is it that I have to apology for? for speaking the truth?

LOL. Mr Know it all Fuzzy!!

I am single DEAF parent and my eldest son (hearing) just got his BA Graduated from University last July, my second son (deaf) attend boarding school for the deaf named Mary Hare Grammar School for the Deaf, he is now in year 10 and got level 7 on 5 subjects and he is 14 years old reading age of 18 years old and can hear with his HA's Also he wrote his 3 books now starting writing on his 4th book so far,
I does have my very poor english in writing and i does can understanding read people's highest standard english whom does better than myself, as I have nothing to be shame it is they way I am, am very proud of my kids, and does always be there for my kids to support them whatever they do. :)

i better not say no more because i would have say something nasty but not worth now i can see what sort of person you are Fuzzy,

Hey neecy dont need to jump in and support Fuzzy when he can speak it for himself. thank you.. :wave:

:applause: to cutepommie, too! And you also get a Good Mom Award from me!

:hug: Thanks and Yes it had been a struggle, We survived, I knew things were gonna get worst before it will get better. ;)

She only did that on purpose because of what I said about hearing parents, but I sure did not even named any member in particle as a hearing parents, I was speaking generally. What is it that I have to apology for? for speaking the truth?

You don't need to apologize for anything, sweetie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back