Deaf problem with cashier [comic]

I cant answer that question. It involves politics against the rules. Just like i plea the 5th cause that question might incriminate me.

I cant answer that question. It involves politics against the rules. Just like i plea the 5th cause that question might incriminate me.

That's not violation of AD rule so that is not excuse.

How do you propose people displaced by machines/automation sustain their life- i.e. pay rent/mortage, food- basically survive?

How is this a political question? it isn't. It is a social and economic question. The fact that you are "pleading the 5th" means you don't have an answer.

To add to Foxrac's list-

1. Paper and pen/pencil
2. Text or use app on phone (including text to speech)
3. Interpreter (or if in social/casual situation anyone who knows sign).
4. Use a boogieboard!

Machines break down. People don't.

While I am all for technology and love the idea of self service and not having to deal with people, I still get that machines/technology can and do break down while people don't (well in general at least).

How do you propose people displaced by machines/automation sustain their life- i.e. pay rent/mortage, food- basically survive?
The answer to this question is easy; guarenteed basic income across the board. It's the segue between our current society where people have to work, and a future society where machines do 99% of our work for us.

During the transition period, capitalism would will work like normal, where the basic income covers cost of living + a little, work beyond that gets you "more" just like it does now. After we're fully converted to a non-labor society, we'll assumedly be post-scarcity and nobody will want for anything, at which point money can be dissolved.

This of course is the very positive, borderline utopian view of the situation...

How is this a political question? it isn't. It is a social and economic question. The fact that you are "pleading the 5th" means you don't have an answer.

To add to Foxrac's list-

1. Paper and pen/pencil
2. Text or use app on phone (including text to speech)
3. Interpreter (or if in social/casual situation anyone who knows sign).
4. Use a boogieboard!

Ill answer that. Its because I'm a lil shy sometimes and i don't want some stranger to know I'm deaf. Society is too judgmental. Im not sure how they're going to react if i told them I'm deaf. Only to doctors and importaint people ill tell them I'm deaf.

Ill answer that. Its because I'm a lil shy sometimes and i don't want some stranger to know I'm deaf. Society is too judgmental. Im not sure how they're going to react if i told them I'm deaf. Only to doctors and importaint people ill tell them I'm deaf.

Oh ok. I get it now. Been there, done that. I was born severely hard of hearing and I did for the longest time what you're doing now. Believe me, it's not worth hiding it. I now don't give a rat's behind on how they're going to react. Some people will be ok with it and others will act ignorant. Whatever their action may be, don't worry about it ok? Life is too short to worry about what other people think.

If strangers yell at you and you don't hear so they know you are deaf.

Get over it, man.

People will react worse if you don't tell them you're deaf. They will think you are an idiot or incorrectly assume you are developmentally delayed or something.

Now that my vision isn't what it used to be (and the threat that it may get worse...)Any time I'm anywhere I need to see something up close.. I ask. I've asked for paper menus when I can't see the tiny assed menu boards mounted behind the cashiers (good god....)- otherwise I order my "usual" LOL. I'm getting better about asserting myself. I'm not embarrassed to be deaf but my problem is that I am not an assertive person (would be the same if I were hearing trust me).

There's no harm in sticking up for yourself- with strangers the worst that can happen is that they're ignorant or more than happy to adapt. It's not like you will see strangers ever again in most cases.

I'm still waiting to get the whispering lady at the gas station again... She has to hate me by now. Hahaha.

Back