Deaf people and guitars.

Wow, it's delightful to read about all your experiences with the guitars. I'm learning to play the acoustic at the moment. Thanks for the tips on tunning with impaired ears. Drums are another fav of mine, love the syncopation, rhythm, vibration beats.

I watched a film called "Weeping Camel", based on the Mongolian culture who breed camels. When a female camel is depressed and won't feed her calf the Mongolians place a violin on it's back and let the wind blow into the instrument and those vibrations bring the camel out of depression. I have to admit when I place that acoustic guitar against my stomach it makes me feel so good.

Rock on! :whip:

Good for you, Mouse. I hope you're having fun with the guitar and we are all here to help each other with any tips or suggestions. What brand of acoustic guitar do you play and how long have you been playing? The Mongolian thing was interesting and I guess we do still learn something new every day, huh? Rock on, dude.

DefMusicman: I started playing a Silvertone acoustic guitar 1 year ago; mainly chords. I'm hardly good at it but I don't think that really matters. I might go electric, need amplification.

rabbit: your guitar picture looks great, frame it.

Mouse, thanks for the cool story about camels. It's really awesome. When I play my electric guitar against my body, it does brighten my moods. It's odd cause if I'm in a crummy mood I can really put an effort of playing somber music into it, in result i feel better while playing a sort of /sad/ music.

I've got frustrated with the guitar once or twice. I find when you're frustrated it's better to stick with it a little and not give up so soon and then the next day what you were struggling with will seem like a second nature. It's awesome. I can't wait til I can get good enough to play Johnny b good. I've always wanted to learn that song after watching Michael J fox riff the guitar in back to the future ^.^;

Cool picture, man. Looks like you were having a good time. Anyone else have a picture they wanna post? I'll try to find one of me that's suitable. Rock on, dudes.

I wud love to see picture of you, Ernest. Last time I saw u was back in 1980. We are not teenagers anymore lol

I wud love to see picture of you, Ernest. Last time I saw u was back in 1980. We are not teenagers anymore lol

:eek3: Ok, I'll see what I can do. I'm not the same handsome teenager that I was in college:fingersx: I'm ashamed to admit that I do not know how to post pictures on the Internet but I will ask my son to help.

Guitar Recital 2006.gif Right click and open link to view larger picture.

It's a little dark in the auditorium but I am the one on the left with short hair. This performance was 6 weeks after I finished treatment for cancer. I have other pictures that I need to learn how to scan and upload.

Ernest

I'm sure you look fine...smile Here's pic of me and my husband. Sorry it's small picture.

Dave and Lisa.jpg

Oh you posted picture while I was working on mine...lol You look good playing with your guitar!! Do you have brighter picture?

Thanks. You look pretty good yourself. I will see if I can find more pictures. I have a DVD of my performance but I need to figure out how to post the video online. Take care.

Ernest

Guitars might be just wood and strings...

Guitars might just be wood and strings but I think they're the nearest thing to an emotional therapy you can get. It can convey all the human emotions whether it be electric or acoustic. Although putting your chin on an acoustic for bone conduction through the skull is awesome yet intimate at same time. Good on you Dark Half for learning the thing..Once you've got it..you've got it for life. A Rumanian guy once told me "If you have a guitar you have friends for life" I'm DeafboyOne by the way sorry to butt in on your communication, but I found peoples responses fascinating. I wish the world could talk this way always..lol

That Ibanez is awesome! Are you buying it? Where can I get one? RSVP

Welcome DeafboyOne! It's nice to know there are quite a few of us hearing impaired musicians out there. I read your post on the other thread about deaf musicians. I've also read a lot about Evelyn Glennie, the deaf British percussionist. I wonder if you know her because I would love to perform with her. Good luck with your move to Australia, by the way.

I have three Hofner Guitars one electric and two semi-acoustic, three acoustic guitars (Tanglewood/countryman/epiphone) Acoustic bass by Swift, an Top of the range Fender bass guitar, a 12 string acoustic guitar by Faith ... I have a passion as u can see ...undiminished! DeafboyOne

DeafboyOne, is your Fender bass a Jazz or Precision Bass? I've been thinking about getting a Fender Jazz Bass but not sure whether to get the American Series or the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I've looked at the Discussion Forums on the Fender website. Your opinion?

Myspace/deafboyone

I had the notion to want to try to learn to play one, although after some minor research the tuning part threw me off immensely. I already know Alex plays the guitar, but he uses HA's so he can tune them just fine- what about those of us who can't hear, at all? I've borrowed my sisters once to just fiddle with it, it's easy to tell chords and tones appart but tuning ... I don't think I can /feel/ the difference. There's devices that'll aid you, although you need to tune your guitar every time you play and I don't think that's the most fun or easiest way.

Any ideas or am I stuck until I at least get a CI?

Side note: I am an uncle as of feb 02'.

Your original question intrigued me about other deaf people and music. I've been working in UK as a music therapist to Deaf and Deafblind clients for a few years now. However couple of weeks ago I emigrated to Sydney Australia and decided to try my luck as a musician singer songwriter. I've been slowly going deaf over the years so I want to record all songs I've ever written before I lose my hearing completely. The great thing is I've been learning Sign Language for when that day comes! I've met so many fantastic people along the way and have so many stories to tell I've put them to words and therefore to song. If you can check out myspace.com/deafboyone the lyrics are available on click button and if you can get speaker output for your computer you should be able to at least feel vibrations from the song if not hear acoustic guitar voice and overdubs. I love playing acoustic guitar cos I can feel the sound rebound back into my body and I've learnt to play quietly at the parts in the song where I'm singing so people can hear the lyrics. My pitch/tuning apparently isn't bad I suspect because I instinctively memorised the notes. Once I've got "pitch" I'm fine. Worse bit is having to tune the damn guitar but I agree the Boss tuners great, OR did u know you can tune with Harmonics?
Basically this is where if you put your finger ABOVE string on 5th fret of the E string for example it should resonate (wobble) in same pattern as 7th fret of the A string. Those are called harmonics. When they are in tune...they don't wobble they 'harmonise' together. You can do same for A string to D string...D string to G string (phnaar phnaar) BUT G harmonic is on 4th fret to B strings 5th fret. Then finally B string 5th fret harmonises with high E string 7th fret. Hope that all makes sense. I started playing years ago but I always want to pick up the guitar almost every day cos I love it so much. Through my life it has been a good friend to me...Mainly cos it doesn't answer back...phnaar phnaar, but really when it does its a beautiful sound?
Stay special DeafboyOne - message over -

Fender Bass

DeafboyOne, is your Fender bass a Jazz or Precision Bass? I've been thinking about getting a Fender Jazz Bass but not sure whether to get the American Series or the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I've looked at the Discussion Forums on the Fender website. Your opinion?

Sorry Defmusicman taken so long to get back to you! The bass now on a ship somewhere out in the Indian Ocean I imagine! Its a Fender Precision Bass and its gorgeous. I spose my taste is for Rock rather than Jazz hence precision bass, guy in shop advised me it had a 'Live' switch which condenses the buzz when you're in studio, which is great for me. I'll be using it on my recordings when it arrives. Meanwhile if you have some hearing you can go to myspace.com/deafboyone and you'll hear fretless bass on two tracks and fender precision on other two! Hope this answers your question?
Stay spesh...Pete - DeafboyOne

Evelyn Glennie

Welcome DeafboyOne! It's nice to know there are quite a few of us hearing impaired musicians out there. I read your post on the other thread about deaf musicians. I've also read a lot about Evelyn Glennie, the deaf British percussionist. I wonder if you know her because I would love to perform with her. Good luck with your move to Australia, by the way.

I too have read a lot about her. I don't know her I'm afraid, but I imagine she would have a myspace site where u could contact her? It seems to be the popular way for fans to contact musicians and promote gigs etc...
Try google her name first then see what myspace address comes up?
If not contact RNID.org.uk they did an article on her last year in Staff magazine? RNID stands for Royal National Institute for Deaf people by the way.
Cheers DeafboyOne
- message over -

Back