Deaf or Blind?

Which would you rather to be?

• Deaf

Votes: 76 96.2%
  • Blind

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
I voted I rather being deaf than blind.

I met blind people at long time ago in England. They can do good with alphabet (sp) with me. They have very strong feeling and know the movement and good smell... they touch on the book and feel the spots when they want to read... Interesting... Of course they asked me question how do I feel being deaf because they cannot image to being deaf like me because they NEED to hear the music, bird singings, noises, etc. and feel sad for me. I was like wow and told them that I prefer to being deaf because I NEED to see what the color alike...and said that I cannot image to living dark but hear... They said that they cannot image to living without hear like dead... no noises.. like nothing... It's interesting to know that we have different POV how we feeling... They are happy being blind than deaf as the same I'm happy being deaf than blind.

Deaf AND Blind

I am deaf and blind (not yet blind...but have nightblind). I cannot choose one or another because i am already have both, lol.

I picked deaf because I like being able to drive myself and easily go to other states. I also like seeing things far away including things in the sky like rainbows, stars and the Milky Way. I guessed what time it was with the stars in the middle of night when I was camping. When I take off my glasses, I have a hard time seeing the brightest stars. :shock:

Prefer deafness over blindness, frankly despite the different p.o.v. amongst others. lol

I am glad I was born deaf instead of losing it later cuz I cant imagine the emotions or trauma people go thru losing their hearing after having hearing all their lives especially if it is sudden. Same goes for being blind.

I cant vote because I would be biased since I grew up deaf. Maybe this poll would be more appropriate for people who have normal hearing and sight?

- Shel90

I have both normal hearing and sight.
I would rather become deaf.
I don't like to think about it in pros and cons. It's just different. I wouldn't be able to hear music, is that a con? I'm sure I would grow a much deeper appreciation for the amazing story telling that can be found in ASL. it's just different.
Although, the differences that blindness would bring, would make it difficult to adapt in such a visual world.

Ditto. I am hearing and sighted. I also would rather become deafened than to lose my sight.

I am deaf already. But I do have night blind. If i lose my vision. I will be PISS OFF! I will be depress. I don't want to lose my vision because I am jewelry designer and artist. I love COLORFUL!!!!

I would rather be deaf. At least when you're deaf you can still see (read) signs and lipread at times too. Also you can write things down and communicate that way (to someone who doesn't know sign language) I'd hate not being able to see where I was going. That'd be scary.

I am deaf already. But I do have night blind. If i lose my vision. I will be PISS OFF! I will be depress. I don't want to lose my vision because I am jewelry designer and artist. I love COLORFUL!!!!

You will get used to it. Deafblindness is not that bad. I used to do embroydery before I lost my sight. I do pottery now instead. You can do pottery without any sight at all.

i dont really know, there are pros and cons to each. i am a blindy, but i have been involved with the deaf community. i dont really know which to pick. i kind of wouldnt mind loosing the rest of my sight, maybe then less migranes!

For usher syndrome, your eye would be more likely to keep degrade until reach into tunnel vision, that means you have central vision to left and loss of central vision is fairly rare for usher syndrome, when you have tunnel vision then you will be legally blind, not severely but won't happen until you are 40's, it could be little earlier than 40's in some individual with type I.

I rather to be deaf. I freak out to be blind because I would miss everything whats going on in the world... and don't want to miss my future such as marriage, kids, family, and etc...

**Help blind people... I love to help them out! They are just like us..human beings.**

Of course, I rather to be deafness but I am deafness and legally blind but I don't consider myself as blindness because I can pretty much do anything like dirt bike, scooter, skydive, you name it. I have Glaucoma and Muscular Degeneration. It's not fun to have those two different eye problem but I got used it for couple of years. There is special glasses for MD can be able to drive, that's what I am working on this year! I can't wait! I am Freelance Photographer so I am ABLE, not disabled. Best thing being deaf is that you can take hearing aides out if people bitch at you and said "I can't hear you!" Hahahah I Love that part being deaf to make that kind of excuse! LOL

I rather to be deaf. I freak out to be blind because I would miss everything whats going on in the world... and don't want to miss my future such as marriage, kids, family, and etc...

**Help blind people... I love to help them out! They are just like us..human beings.**

As I've said before- possibly a few times before in this thread alone- correct your stereotypes. "Miss everything what's going on in the world"? uh.. no, just, no.

Second... who said 'blind people' (since we seem to be one big old general population) NEED help? Need help with what?

More to the point, we may be human beings just like you, but remember, it doesn't stop there.. I can be better than you in almost all respects of life, and likewise, you can be better than me in almost all respects. It's not rude to say that.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would much rather be deaf than blind. I have a thing about seeing what's in my food before I eat it, and it would just drive me nuts if I could never see what I'm eating. I also play video games, and that pretty much depends on vision. My hobby wouldn't be my hobby if I couldn't see it. I collect and to some degree customise My Little Pony dolls. That would be no fun at all if I couldn't see what I was doing. Plus I wouldn't be able to drive myself to the store.

Disclaimer: I'm totally deaf (meaning I couldn't hear a jet engine if my ear were glued to the casing .. though my brain would probably liquify and vibrate out the other ear), so I'm automatically assuming I have the choice between that and total blindness, meaning I wouldn't be able to see anything at all, not even light and dark. Difference between legal blindness and total blindness =D

Aleser - you need to chill out. You're easily insulted and defensive when people say something about blindness. That's why you need to chill out and calm down. You're here to share and correct the misconceptions and to educate us. No need to come down with an angry tone.

This is a tough call... I'm a very visual-type person and very tactile-type as well. I like to see and feel the design intrinsically so 2 things that affect me the most - movies and machines.

I like sound too... with what remaining hearing i have left. I do love listening classical music especially solo opera and wind instrument (flute, clarinet, oboe). I do love listening my new bike rumbling, thumping. So... to answer your question - I choose deafness over blindness. I must be with the machines - car, motorcycle, plane, etc. (No I'm not the Borg)

Aleser - you need to chill out. You're easily insulted and defensive when people say something about blindness. That's why you need to chill out and calm down. You're here to share and correct the misconceptions and to educate us. No need to come down with an angry tone.

Uh, I'm here.. to post. If I choose to be 'easily insulted and defensive'... well, that's my choice. But I am not here to educate anyone or to correct misconceptions.

Please don't talk down to me as though I am a child- you seem fond of that- and frankly, it's getting annoying. Stop following around everything I say and trying to correct me. Just because you see things differently than I, doesn't mean you have the right to speak to me like I'm two years old and simply need correcting (read, simply need to see things YOUR way)

Uh, I'm here.. to post. If I choose to be 'easily insulted and defensive'... well, that's my choice. But I am not here to educate anyone or to correct misconceptions.

Please don't talk down to me as though I am a child- you seem fond of that- and frankly, it's getting annoying. Stop following around everything I say and trying to correct me. Just because you see things differently than I, doesn't mean you have the right to speak to me like I'm two years old and simply need correcting (read, simply need to see things YOUR way)

You're mistaken. I'm not talking down to you. it's you who act like a 2 years old. or... you can choose to act like an adult.... like dreama and hjones711. There's nothing to correct you. I'm merely telling you to chill out. Talk with us, not against us. :cool2:

Back