Deaf or Blind?

Which would you rather to be?

• Deaf

Votes: 76 96.2%
  • Blind

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
I would to be :deaf: because I am already HOH. I have an old friend who is now legally blind. So, If we go to the movies, I could describe the scenes and my friend could tell me the dialogue in sign language!

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I would prefer deafness than blindness.

i obviously prefer to be deaf - but i'd rather be born deaf instead of losing it later in life and always know what im "missing" out on. I think im better off not knowing :)
I'm late deafened/hoh and as you said in your post, I miss 'the old days' so much :(

I can understand what you mean, no offense here. Still you need adaptive equipment to be more independent. For deaf people, not really much except for interpreters and Relay service. The rest, hardly need anything. I admit, I just can't image being blind, or I'd be freaky out!
Well that's not true really. As a deafblind person I don't even have a human guide. I manage with my guide dog Jilli. I use a communication card to communicate with people who don't know the deafblind manual. I surf the internet, read Braille/very large print, Travel independantly both with Jilli, using a long cane, and also a monocular (low vision aid that helps me see a little better). I can also read and memorize maps, cook, shop, travel independantly, care for Jilli and my rescue rodents, and take Jilli for walks, ALL with a minim of human assistance.

I know what you mean. I should explain a bit more about what kind of art person I am... I am an interior design student that focus on archiecture of the interior of buildings which requires alot of visual such as colors, space planning, fabrics, furniture, lighting setting, etc.

However, I am already considering to learn how to read Braille and how to use cane after I graduate next year since I don't really have much time for it just for now. Once again, I said I still can see pretty well just for now. I already applied for a guide dog so I have to wait and see how it will turn out.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! :)

Good luck with getting a dog. :fingersx: I have a really wonderful guide dog called Jilli. She does a really great job of guiding me. The only thing is you have to work them at least 5 times a week or they get rusty and don't guide you properly.

I take Jilli to the local park several times a day. She guides me there then I use my long cane as soon as I get to a proper path.

Before I lost my sight I used to do a lot of fine point embroidery. I couldn't carry on with that so I moved to ceramics and succeeded with that too.

Good luck with getting a dog. :fingersx: I have a really wonderful guide dog called Jilli. She does a really great job of guiding me. The only thing is you have to work them at least 5 times a week or they get rusty and don't guide you properly.

I take Jilli to the local park several times a day. She guides me there then I use my long cane as soon as I get to a proper path.

Before I lost my sight I used to do a lot of fine point embroidery. I couldn't carry on with that so I moved to ceramics and succeeded with that too.

That's great to hear! :) I am glad Jilli is doing fabulous job to help you out. :) I am very looking forward to learn more about guide dog. I think I will get one after I graduate. I will let you know! :)

Probably deaf. Color/freedom vs music/communicate...

I have always wondered, if blind person and deaf person were lost in the forest. Which one will come out the forest alive or at least last longer in the forest? Someone argued with me one time that blind person can make it out alive. I am not so sure on that.

I mean both without any tools to start with such as cane or hearing aid for either one.

That's a good question. Honestly, we would never know.. I mean blind people use their hearing to help them warn of dangers just like we, deaf people, use our sight to warn us of dangers.

There is this debate in another thread about how parents view deafness as putting us in more danger and someone brought up how a deaf girl died from getting hit by a train due to not being able to hear the whistle. Would a blind person in that same situation be safer?

That's great to hear! :) I am glad Jilli is doing fabulous job to help you out. :) I am very looking forward to learn more about guide dog. I think I will get one after I graduate. I will let you know! :)

Yes, she is. She's a great dog. However it's a two way deal. You have to put a lot of work into it which involves taking your dog out in wet/cold weather, feeding and caring for the dog. Even when you arent well and having to keep the dog's training well mentained because if you don't the guide dog training can deteriate. I had a friend who had a dog but her dog got returned because she wasn't using her much. The dog wasn't getting enough excercise. I met her dog. She seemed really dense, getting my friend lost all the time. She also ate soap. My friend returned Star and decided she just wasn't a 'doggie person'.

You also have more problems with discrimation with a dog. There are places that I just won't take Jilli. There is an area where I live that is very anti dog. I don't know what is the general attitude towards dogs in the USA. Most British people are ok but there is a big asian population near where I live and they are very anti dog and I've had a lot of problem when trying to work Jilli in their area. I can't get Jilli to take me into any shops because she's had bad experiances there. The last time I went to that area I left Jilli at home and used a long cane.

I'd definitely rather see than hear although I love to hear.

Whatever happened to LadyDuke?

Helen Keller said she rather be blind than deaf because deafness separates deaf people from people and blindness separates people from things.

I voted deaf...

Hearing people start wars, crimes, and all these kinds of problems which influenced deaf people. I dont know why people want to to be blind so they can hear.... ... to cause all the problems!!!!!!

Where is the life if blind???

Cons of being Blind

Depend on somebody for guide, no freedom.

That is it? OMG!

I find that entirely insulting. I never have, nor will, require someone to guide me around. I get around just fine, thanks. Don't you -dare- judge that I do not have freedom.

People here of all places, where almost everyone has a disability that is viewed in society with a bad light, should know better than to make such a blanket assumption about what some group is capable of doing.

To answer the question, I would pick being blind.
I've got enough hearing going on to manage getting around with the help of a cane and miniguide, and I can hold a conversation (although I sign, and prefer to sign in some situations.) It's what I've known, so for me, the choice is apparent.

I find that entirely insulting. I never have, nor will, require someone to guide me around. I get around just fine, thanks. Don't you -dare- judge that I do not have freedom.

People here of all places, where almost everyone has a disability that is viewed in society with a bad light, should know better than to make such a blanket assumption about what some group is capable of doing.

To answer the question, I would pick being blind.
I've got enough hearing going on to manage getting around with the help of a cane and miniguide, and I can hold a conversation (although I sign, and prefer to sign in some situations.) It's what I've known, so for me, the choice is apparent.

U have a very good point. That's why I said I cant vote cuz I dont know what it is like to be blind. How can I make assumptions without knowing? :)

I'm coming late into this thread, but wanted to share my thoughts. Like LadyDuke, I'm also deafblind. (totally deaf and blind)

I was born blind, so if I had to pick between deafness and blindness, I'd pick blindness.

When I was attending my local deafblind center for training, it was mentioned to me that when asked this question, most blind people would prefer blindness (due to fear of losing their hearing -- which they rely on for activities of daily living and mobility) while deaf people would prefer deafness (due to fear of losing vision -- which they rely on for communication, etc.).

In some ways, I don't think one can really answer this question without having experienced both disabilities. while it's easy to put yourself in the shoes of another, it's more difficult to understand what another person's experiences are like unless you've experienced them yourself.

For example, I have a sighted friend who had never met a blind person before. Until she met me, she never realized what life is like for a person who cannot see well or cannot see at all. She didn't know about how I use my stove or microwave by placing Braille labels on them, how I use the computer to access the Internet or even how I'm able to travel independently with my guide dog or white cane.

Someone above asked how a deafblind person can access a computer and the Internet. I use a screenreader called JAWS and a Braille display. JAWS sends information that appears on the computer screen to the Braille display where it can be read. The Braille display has a single line of dots that move up and down to form Braille characters. I give keyboard commands to JAWS in order to move to various places on the computer screen (up, down, line by line, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph, page by page, etc.).

If any of you would like to learn more about screenreaders or Braille displays, I have several websites which provide information as to how blind and deafblind people access the Internet as well as how screenreaders and Braille displays work. Just let me know and I will be happy to post them. :)

U have a very good point. That's why I said I cant vote cuz I dont know what it is like to be blind. How can I make assumptions without knowing? :)

Shel,

Exactly. :) This is what I always say whenever people ask this question. It's a hypothetical question that cannot be answered without a person having had experiences with both deafness and blindness.

I have to admit that I also find that comment offensive. How would a deaf person feel if I bashed ASL and talked about the limitations I thought they had because of their inability to hear? Unless you're in the shoes of another, please don't make judgements about the quality of another person's life.

I have to admit that I also find that comment offensive. How would a deaf person feel if I bashed ASL and talked about the limitations I thought they had because of their inability to hear? Unless you're in the shoes of another, please don't make judgements about the quality of another person's life.

U bet I would feel so offended if someone said that about ASL, deafness, and the deaf community if they dont know much about it! I dont blame u for feeling offended at that comment about being blind.

I rather to be Deaf than Blind.

I have Usher Syndrome Type I. I still can see pretty good since I am young (22 years old). My vision decreased some recently... I rather to be deaf even I can hear well with my cochlear implant. I still label myself as DEAF person because that is who I really am.

Recently, I just learned that the researchers discovered new way to stop people from becoming completely blind by putting the medicines inside people's eyes and leave it for few months then have another surgury to get empty medicines out. People will have same visions for many years to forever. I am thinking about take that medicine but I am not sure since it doesn't show many results of successions yet. My future depends on my vision since I am art person that requires alot of visions. I need to get cured asap so I can keep my good visions for the rest of my life.

You aren't alone...

I do have Usher Syndrome Type II, also I was diagnosed with US in 2001 but my vision seems haven't getting worse and haven't experience with loss in side of vision.

Btw, I was born in HoH at first place but became profound deaf in after 2 years old or so.

For me, I rather to be deaf than blind.

Back