Deaf or Blind?

Which would you rather to be?

• Deaf

Votes: 76 96.2%
  • Blind

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
I also use Zoomtext.

I have a friend who has a braille display. She has problem accessing the internet that way. I did start trying to access the internet using a braille display but there was nobody available to teach me. It is easier to get tuition in sceen enlarger or speech rather then braille. Braille is very expensive and also they break easily. I sometimes thinking of getting one anyway. I think some people who use braille displays can use the internet but they are usually super intelligent and can under stand the manuals written in computer jargon rather then plain english.

I got myself a braille embosser recently. It took me over a year to figure out how to use it.

Back on topic: there is nothing wrong with being blind. Blind hearies can be very independant too. Same as Sighted deafies. I am deafblind and consider myself to be independant as well. Although some blind people are not so independant. Not because of their blindness but because they have not been given enough blindskills such as braille, mobility etc... Now with mainstreaming the problem gets worse. As the school may prefere to assign the blind kid with minders rather then teaching them to get about by themselves.

Where is the life if blind???

I do not understand why majority of hearing people prefer to be blind over Deaf. Sad, majority of them are OUTTA of their MIND!

Cons of being Deaf

Can't hear, can't speak 100% perfect

Pro about being Deaf

Can DO ANYTHING BUT hear/speak

Cons of being Blind

Depend on somebody for guide, no freedom.

Pro about being blind:

Can hear clearly and play music awesome.
That is it? OMG!

Cant vote cuz I have never experienced blindness...who knows, would have I led a better life as a blind person?

However, if I were to choose to become blind now and get full hearing back, I would say no and stay deaf with sight only because that's all I know.

I am glad I was born deaf instead of losing it later cuz I cant imagine the emotions or trauma people go thru losing their hearing after having hearing all their lives especially if it is sudden. Same goes for being blind.

I cant vote because I would be biased since I grew up deaf. Maybe this poll would be more appropriate for people who have normal hearing and sight?

My biggest thing with being blind is I'm afraid of the dark, and being in the complete dark makes me feel smothered and claustrophobic. It would probably be really traumatic--at least for me. And it would drive me insane because I'm a totally visual person. I love art way too much. I'd miss music, sure, but, if I had my choice, I'd rather be deaf.

That is one of few kinds of blindness. Some blind people still can see light but darn out of focus, therefore can't see a thing, but light.

My biggest thing with being blind is I'm afraid of the dark, and being in the complete dark makes me feel smothered and claustrophobic. It would probably be really traumatic--at least for me. And it would drive me insane because I'm a totally visual person. I love art way too much. I'd miss music, sure, but, if I had my choice, I'd rather be deaf.

I have Usher Syndrome Type I. I still can see pretty good since I am young (22 years old). My vision decreased some recently... I rather to be deaf even I can hear well with my cochlear implant. I still label myself as DEAF person because that is who I really am.

Recently, I just learned that the researchers discovered new way to stop people from becoming completely blind by putting the medicines inside people's eyes and leave it for few months then have another surgury to get empty medicines out. People will have same visions for many years to forever. I am thinking about take that medicine but I am not sure since it doesn't show many results of successions yet. My future depends on my vision since I am art person that requires alot of visions. I need to get cured asap so I can keep my good visions for the rest of my life.

That is one of few kinds of blindness. Some blind people still can see light but darn out of focus, therefore can't see a thing, but light.

Really? Eheh.. I need to do more research before I speak, then.

Even given that information, I would still rather be deaf. Light or not, it would shoot down my entire way of expression.

Probably deaf. Color/freedom vs music/communicate...

I have always wondered, if blind person and deaf person were lost in the forest. Which one will come out the forest alive or at least last longer in the forest? Someone argued with me one time that blind person can make it out alive. I am not so sure on that.

I mean both without any tools to start with such as cane or hearing aid for either one.

I am glad I was born deaf instead of losing it later cuz I cant imagine the emotions or trauma people go thru losing their hearing after having hearing all their lives especially if it is sudden. Same goes for being blind.

I cant vote because I would be biased since I grew up deaf. Maybe this poll would be more appropriate for people who have normal hearing and sight?

- Shel90

I have both normal hearing and sight.
I would rather become deaf.
I don't like to think about it in pros and cons. It's just different. I wouldn't be able to hear music, is that a con? I'm sure I would grow a much deeper appreciation for the amazing story telling that can be found in ASL. it's just different.
Although, the differences that blindness would bring, would make it difficult to adapt in such a visual world.

I rather be deaf and blind. But I am deaf, but also legally blind. Many didnt think I m legally blind, but noticed later that I couldn't see my right,left, above and below, and also I am far sighted, bec I can't see clearly when signing close to me. Yeah, met one, saying rather be blind than deaf. It is depend on individual growing up, but being deaf or/and blind later in life is frustrating them, bec not use to it.

Cons of being Blind

Depend on somebody for guide, no freedom.

Well that's not true really. As a deafblind person I don't even have a human guide. I manage with my guide dog Jilli. I use a communication card to communicate with people who don't know the deafblind manual. I surf the internet, read Braille/very large print, Travel independantly both with Jilli, using a long cane, and also a monocular (low vision aid that helps me see a little better). I can also read and memorize maps, cook, shop, travel independantly, care for Jilli and my rescue rodents, and take Jilli for walks, ALL with a minim of human assistance.

Last edited:
I am art person that requires alot of visions. I need to get cured asap so I can keep my good visions for the rest of my life.

I am also an art person. When I was loosing my sight my art teacher told me that I should give up art and try creative writing. I'm glad that I never listen to him as this is so untrue. You just have to learn to use your fingers more to make tactile art instead of visual art. It's no big deal when you get used to it.

Waiting for a cure wastes time. You have to deal with the hand you've been given. Why don't you have a look to see what rehabilitation services are available in your area to teach you some blind skills such as Braille and long cane tecniques.

Take it from me, life will get better once you adapt to your situation instead of just fighting it.

I am also an art person. When I was loosing my sight my art teacher told me that I should give up art and try creative writing. I'm glad that I never listen to him as this is so untrue. You just have to learn to use your fingers more to make tactile art instead of visual art. It's no big deal when you get used to it.

Waiting for a cure wastes time. You have to deal with the hand you've been given. Why don't you have a look to see what rehabilitation services are available in your area to teach you some blind skills such as Braille and long cane tecniques.

Take it from me, life will get better once you adapt to your situation instead of just fighting it.

I know what you mean. I should explain a bit more about what kind of art person I am... I am an interior design student that focus on archiecture of the interior of buildings which requires alot of visual such as colors, space planning, fabrics, furniture, lighting setting, etc.

However, I am already considering to learn how to read Braille and how to use cane after I graduate next year since I don't really have much time for it just for now. Once again, I said I still can see pretty well just for now. I already applied for a guide dog so I have to wait and see how it will turn out.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! :)

Hearing and sighted people don't understand that we can adapt to not having hearing. The information that we can get through our other senses is just as good. Like I'm very visual-tactile, in a way that hearing people aren't. Yet my best friend who is legally blind is very aural-tactile.
Most legally blind people do have residual vision. Legal blindness is basicly 20/200......legally blind people can only see from 20 feet, what sighted people can see at 200 feet (the biggest E on the eye chart)

I know what you mean. I should explain a bit more about what kind of art person I am... I am an interior design student that focus on archiecture of the interior of buildings which requires alot of visual such as colors, space planning, fabrics, furniture, lighting setting, etc.

However, I am already considering to learn how to read Braille and how to use cane after I graduate next year since I don't really have much time for it just for now. Once again, I said I still can see pretty well just for now. I already applied for a guide dog so I have to wait and see how it will turn out.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! :)

Oh are you going blind too? You know I love both cooking and interior designs.

Metroguy, I scrolled it up and just noticed by saying you have Usher syndromes, I have those also.

This thread got me to thinking and I was reminded of the saying that goes: "I used to complain that I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet". When I was younger I was frustrated about being deaf/hh until I met a deaf and blind person. Then I didn't complain anymore and I started to count my blessings. So if I had a choice I would rather be deaf and still be able to enjoy the visual beauty of this world.

Back