Deaf & Hearing Dating?

So true! I dumped a great guy about 4.5 years, not because he wasn't great to me, but, because he put me on display as his "Deaf girlfriend" all the time. I *HATED* it and even though I ask him to let it be my choice if I want to tell people or not he still kept telling everyone to speak face to face to me because I'm Deaf.:roll:

N-e-x-t!! :giggle:

Fortunately, I'm dating an awesome guy who respect me, the culture and values and is learning ASL and would never dream of putting me on display like some kind of freak show contestant.

Exactly. It isn't about your deafness at all, or an attempt to get people to take that into consideration when communicating with you. It is simply saying "Look at me! I am such a wonderful person because I am giving my attention to a disabled person. Love me, pat me on the back, tell me I'm great!"

I can quiet understand what you mean just because thats never happened to me. (im hearing)
But I know some times when Quintin and I are at the mall and i see friends and they see me signing they get very confused. (the only deaf person any of my friends have ever met its Quintin) So I say hi this is my boyfriend Quintin he's deaf.

i think its just something that is said so people dont go on talking and possibly leave that person out of the conversation.

It is only something that is "just said" by insensitive and inconsiderate hearing people.

It is only something that is "just said" by insensitive and inconsiderate hearing people.

I should count my blessings. I have gone my whole life without anyone doing that to me.

Exactly. It isn't about your deafness at all, or an attempt to get people to take that into consideration when communicating with you. It is simply saying "Look at me! I am such a wonderful person because I am giving my attention to a disabled person. Love me, pat me on the back, tell me I'm great!"

Precisely!

I should count my blessings. I have gone my whole life without anyone doing that to me.

Yep, you have been blessed indeed. But I would also suggest that you have chosen your friends a bit more wisely than to have people who would do that to you in your circle.:P

Yep, you have been blessed indeed. But I would also suggest that you have chosen your friends a bit more wisely than to have people who would do that to you in your circle.:P

You may be right. And everyone knows I can have a bit of a temper. :lol:

Exactly. Being Deaf doesn't make you any less of a person. Do you introduce her as, "This is my mom who is hearing"?

My sister has introduced me to people around us as, "This is my sister Ash, shes Deaf" and has started introducing her daughter Izzy, "This is my daughter Addy, and my daughter Izzy, Izzy is HoH" so when we go out somewhere together now, I introduce her to people I know as "this is my sister who is hearing" she got frustrated with me for doing it... but I said... its the same as you telling someone that I'm Deaf or Izzy is HoH...

My sister has introduced me to people around us as, "This is my sister Ash, shes Deaf" and has started introducing her daughter Izzy, "This is my daughter Addy, and my daughter Izzy, Izzy is HoH" so when we go out somewhere together now, I introduce her to people I know as "this is my sister who is hearing" she got frustrated with me for doing it... but I said... its the same as you telling someone that I'm Deaf or Izzy is HoH...

Love that! :lol:

Love that! :lol:

and its not like I do it just when we are around other Deafies... but no matter who it is, if I sign or use my voice, always, this is my sister, she is hearing. :) its starting annoy her alot though... maybe she will stop introducing me and my niece like that :giggle:

The thing that you miss is that it isn't about *you.* I guess the best thing to do is to ask Quintin how he feels about you splashing it about to everybody that he's Deaf. That's really all that matters in this situation. I wouldn't like it one bit!

More mature /= posters that come on here all excited because they got themselves a Deaf boyfriend/girlfriend and are *so* happy about it. Like they won a prize. We see it often. Sorry.

Quintin and I have talked about this and he doesnt find anything wrong with what I say.

i was telling a friend earlier of a story ,
I almost drown when i was 13 and the person who saved me was deaf.
I had never met someone deaf before and I didnt know and after I was sitting on the shore with him talking away and he wasnt replying or looking at me so i just thought he was ignoring me and trying to get rid of me and i thought that was mean... but anyways . I found out later that he was deaf and i felt like such a terrible person because I know some ASL if I had known then I woould have actual had a conversation with him and not seemed like a total idiot .

Hello.My name is Michael,am here looking someone that i will marry that serious in relationshion,but i will like to know you better.

Hello.My name is Michael,am here looking someone that i will marry that serious in relationshion,but i will like to know you better.

Oh, you are having an affair?? you are married to Catherine Zeta-Jones already. why marry more gal? tsk tsk tsk tsk

I'm Hearing, My Husband is Deaf

I'm Hearing and my husband is Deaf. We've been together for 6 years, married almost 2 years :)

Back