deaf + glbt = connection??

The only thing I see that connects the GLBT to the deaf community is that most comunication service providers are mostly from the GLBT communities and the deafs have a tendancy to look at them as their ears, voice, and only connection to the rest of the world.

And many do follow their comunication service providers footseps in many aspects of their lives and even right into the closet too.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
The only thing I see that connects the GLBT to the deaf community is that most comunication service providers are mostly from the GLBT communities and the deafs have a tendancy to look at them as their ears, voice, and only connection to the rest of the world.

And many do follow their comunication service providers footseps in many aspects of their lives and even right into the closet too.

Richard
Eh? Are you telling me that the deaf GLBT community is following their interpreters?

VamPyroX said:
Eh? Are you telling me that the deaf GLBT community is following their interpreters?

I mean deafies are following their communication service providers in which are mostly from the GLBT communities everywhere they go. Most look at these communication assistants as role models so if the communication assistants are from the GLBT community theyre likely to lead the deafies right into the closets.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
I mean deafies are following their communication service providers in which are mostly from the GLBT communities everywhere they go. Most look at these communication assistants as role models so if the communication assistants are from the GLBT community theyre likely to lead the deafies right into the closets.

Richard
Ah... sounds like a lot of people follow their interpreters and are too close with them. We don't really have that problem here at RIT. A lot of students are pretty stubborn to believe in themselves intead of others.

Growing up, my interpreters were straight, so they had no absolute influence over me. Heck, one interpreter was a bigot and homophobic. I already knew that I prefered same sex without the help of terps.

VamPyroX said:
Ah... sounds like a lot of people follow their interpreters and are too close with them. We don't really have that problem here at RIT. A lot of students are pretty stubborn to believe in themselves intead of others.

I agree and wish the deafs on the west coast were as stubborn as well.

Richard

:ugh:

I don't think it is relevant which coast you are livin' on will determine your sexual orientation based on your relationships as a client to an interperter.

In my experiences, I do have a lot of same-sex orientated interps in a school where deaf students don't share the same interests as the interps so I don't see how your "theory" is true. If that should apply to me, I should have been a lesbian since age 10. Prehaps those who develop an interest in the same sex only do so because they wish to explore the options after the first exposure to homosexuality coming from the interps. But it is not necessary enough to say that interps are spreading the "homo" virus (no offense taken--I am not saying it is bad/evil/threatening but it is only used to give an idea what I am seeing the tone of this thread-- that it is mainfesting everywhere) in the deaf community. Heck, the same-sex orientation is HIGHER in residence schools than mainstreamed school so MAYBE the gay interperters (TOTALLY lack of intpers at residence due everybody is required to know ASL beforehand) are not the fault, but ratherly the constantly exposure of same sex people during their sexual curiousity years (prepuberty to early adulthood)

[stepping down from the soapbox]
I recently went to Gay Pride Festival last weekend and I extremely enjoyed the atmosphere. I suggested everybody to go to their local gay pride festival/occasion to get an idea that you don't have to be gay to be proud of the gay/lesbian folks.

right and im a lesbaina nd iw asn't influcenced by my interps So please shove that theroy to where the sun doesn't shine :-x sowwy it irraiates me when they THINK thats the reasons why we're gays or lesbains, we're homosexual cuz we feel more attracted to the same sex and not just cuz of rape or bad experince with men So please get the idea outta yr head!

javapride said:
right and im a lesbaina nd iw asn't influcenced by my interps So please shove that theroy to where the sun doesn't shine :-x sowwy it irraiates me when they THINK thats the reasons why we're gays or lesbains, we're homosexual cuz we feel more attracted to the same sex and not just cuz of rape or bad experince with men So please get the idea outta yr head!

:bump: Time for you to take the lesson again, Javapride, my sissy. Let me bring the lesson back!!!!!!! Here is the link.

PFFTH sissy if u look closely i relize my boo boo BUT i said lesbaina yes but i meant to say lesbain AND but oh screw it i ll say lesbo :)

javapride said:
and not just cuz of rape or bad experince with men

Sorry to say this, but its true it does apply to some women and that's another reason why they became lesbian....

^Angel^ said:
Sorry to say this, but its true it does apply to some women and that's another reason why they became lesbian....
I don't blame those women. Who want to go back to the same species that constantly abuse sexually and/or physically? It is all boiling down to surivial and conditioning. You learn to stay away from something when a signal of danger is flaring. If the world ceases in the population, you got the abusive men to blame.

[might come off too strong but after reading Vagina Monologue, Our Guys and several other books that are intended for women's studies courses you would be more aware of all issues going on in the world. so pardon if I use strong words against "the bad men".... Our Guys is the book that made an impact... so sad and so angry. I recommend any of you- man or woman to read it. It is based on a true story.]

and not just cuz of rape or bad experince with men
Angel, where are you getting your information? From the Focus on the Family website? If being raped or having a bad experiance with a man was a cause of lesbianism, there would be a HELL of a lot more lesbians out there! Yes, there are some people who like to have sex with same-gendered people b/c it's oh so KINKY (sarcasm) but those people aren't real lesbians. They are sex addicts. Like Elaine said on Seinfield " I hate men, but I'm not a lesbian!" Being a lesbian is not about who you sleep with...it's who you LOVE!

Our Guys is the book that made an impact... so sad and so angry. I recommend any of you- man or woman to read it. It is based on a true story.
GD, I picked it up at the booksale last year, and now my copy is falling apart b/c I've read it so many times...It's great for those of you who like true crime and or sociology. It's so sad that the guy who wrote that book, could have been writing about almost any and everywhere in the US.

deafdyke said:
Angel, where are you getting your information? From the Focus on the Family website?

Deafdyke,

I didn't get those facts or informations from any web sites, I have friends who are lesbians...I don't blame them for feeling that way but not all men are alike and that's the truth!... :)

deafdyke said:
Angel, where are you getting your information? From the Focus on the Family website? If being raped or having a bad experiance with a man was a cause of lesbianism, there would be a HELL of a lot more lesbians out there! Yes, there are some people who like to have sex with same-gendered people b/c it's oh so KINKY (sarcasm) but those people aren't real lesbians. They are sex addicts. Like Elaine said on Seinfield " I hate men, but I'm not a lesbian!" Being a lesbian is not about who you sleep with...it's who you LOVE!
Actually, she's right about the rape issue. I have friends who are lesbians and they have been raped so many times by men that they completely lose their faith and trust in men... leading them to go for women. After constant explosure with other women, they develop feelings and feel better that they become lesbians. It's not all lesbians, but some lesbians. Not every GLBT become they way they are because their minds or body grew up that way... but because of some traumatic experience that they went through.

and they have been raped so many times by men that they completely lose their faith and trust in men... leading them to go for women.
Are you and Angel in conservative parts of the country? Most of the GLB folks I know, like the opposite sex...they just aren't sexually attracted to them. Being GLB isn't about obsessing over what's "down south" but the personalities and charetrestics of people we love. If that friend who I currently have a crush on was a male, I'd love her just as much.
Maybe those lesbians are just bullshitting you or protecting themselves b/c we still live in a very homophobic society.

Thanks java! I lurv you girl! Angel, probaly those womyn you know are being a little self-defensive. We live in a homophobic society and that's a FACT. Do you get asked why you like men? Fact is...NOBODY knows why some people are gay and some people straight. Maybe those friends of yours were just tired of all the questions from straighties . I don't know why I love Dani and not Brian (a guy friend of mine who I've heard has a crush on me) Besides, if rape and dating violence did cause lesbianism...then there's be a hell of a lot more lesbians around! But the thing is...having sexual activty with women when you're one doesn't make you a lesbian any more then going to the garage makes you a car!

Ok, I won't speak my opinion anymore in this Rainbow thread now that I know I'm not welcome in here....

Thank you for being kind JavaPride and deafdyke

I think people are getting a little too Self Defensive here. I am sure Angel is more than welcome in this forum. Just a slight miscommunications problem is all. We all know where that can take us.

Back