deaf + glbt = connection??

darkangel8603

Reaction score
Hi people,
Myself I am a bi for a few yrs now, and I was kinda obeserving the deaf community, and I noticed that there is alot of gay/lesbian/bi people in teh deaf community. It is something that goes with being deaf? If you are deaf, you have a possiblies of being gay/ lesbian/ or bi... do i make sense? I was just wondering if there is actully an connection between those two.. Be free to discuss your opinions.

Yeah, I've noticed that for years. I think some deaf people who spent most of their lives living in the dorms end up being victimized by older students and dorm parents. I don't know if this is a fact but it seems like that way. I don't believe this is something some current and former students would admit they are/were victims of such. I've never had to live at the school.

Brian said:
Yeah, I've noticed that for years. I think some deaf people who spent most of their lives living in the dorms end up being victimized by older students and dorm parents. I don't know if this is a fact but it seems like that way. I don't believe this is something some current and former students would admit they are/were victims of such. I've never had to live at the school.

I don't believe that at all

what i do believe is that deaf people are more openly gay than a lot of hearing people

Other idea may be that since deaf people already know what it feels to be different from hearing people, then they are ok with their deaf identity. And if that deaf person happens to be gay, lesbian or bi, then s/he probably accepts it better than a hearing person. And once you openly say to somebody that you are gay, lesbian or bi, it spreads very fast in the deaf community. Everyone will know by tomorrow. That's what I think.

bbnt said:

what i do believe is that deaf people are more openly gay than a lot of hearing people
:werd: I think it's more of an issue about how deaf people are more open than hearing people are. There are still a lot of hearing people who have yet to come out of the closet.

kuifje75 said:
Other idea may be that since deaf people already know what it feels to be different from hearing people, then they are ok with their deaf identity. And if that deaf person happens to be gay, lesbian or bi, then s/he probably accepts it better than a hearing person. And once you openly say to somebody that you are gay, lesbian or bi, it spreads very fast in the deaf community. Everyone will know by tomorrow. That's what I think.
Yes, that's one thing I find to be pretty pathetic about deafies around here. All they care about are negative things about another and nothing good. You can do something great and no one cares. You can make a small mistake and everyone makes a big deal out of it. :roll:

When it comes to hearing people, they don't care about the bad things. They like to focus on good things.

VamPyroX said:
Yes, that's one thing I find to be pretty pathetic about deafies around here. All they care about are negative things about another and nothing good. You can do something great and no one cares. You can make a small mistake and everyone makes a big deal out of it. :roll:

When it comes to hearing people, they don't care about the bad things. They like to focus on good things.

That is totally true.. That is the one negative thing about the deaf community, gossips, rumors about one small, tiny mistake or dumb thing to do and the whole city knows maybe the whole country.. pathetic!!

bbnt said:

true! ive noticed that myself too!

Kuifje75 said:

thats also true Kuifje! the grapevine DOES "grow" incrediably fast and with today's internet access it gets MUCH more faster like lightspeed!

To prove my accusations...

I was at RIT one day. I was chatting with someone in Building 14. I brought up something that only I knew about. After this, I left and headed to LBJ. By the time I got to LBJ, there were a few deafies there blabing about something. When I approached them, they immediately started telling me about something they heard and talked to me as if they were the first ones to know aod not me.

What's bad? Building 14 and LBJ are a half mile apart. It's a 15 minute walk. One person knows at the beginning and seven people know at the end. That's bad!

VamPyroX said:
What's bad? Building 14 and LBJ are a half mile apart. It's a 15 minute walk. One person knows at the beginning and seven people know at the end. That's bad!

sounds like the person had PAGED the others who were at LBJ and told them the tidbit -- thats why with today's technology anyone would hear of something in a mere minute or less!!!!!

Hey, how'd this get off topic? :bump: Vampyrox :lol:

I guess deaf peeps aren't as exposed to a certain kind of conditioning as hearing people are, depending on how much access they have been allowed during their upbringing. So they tend to be more in touch with their feelings, and uhhh, there's the love to talk, talk, talk... believe me, I know some hearing who love to talk talk talk (like my mother and half the Norwegians lurking around in my neighborhood)... but not in a certain way some deafies do, though hehe... they're well.. more open... without restrictions (some manners applies as some of these restrictions, even.. self control, repression, etc etc).... but I do blame not having gotten that childhood programming and that certain things are WRONG or RIGHT, according to the general cultural viewpoint or the parents. Hell, I didn't know what gay, sex or masturbation was when I was 12. *blush* But damn right, I know by now.. that's a safe assumption. LOL

I guess I'm saying is that some of us haven't learned to have that little voice telling us NO.. this is wrong, wrong, wrong... courtesy of our parents. :) I guess that can be a mixed blessing-- cos we feel more "free" to pursue whatever we don't feel restricted to, like exploring more of that sexuality or/and being more true to ourselves.. in some ways it can be a curse.. cos, like some of you mentioned already about the darker sides of deaf community.. some people haven't learned proper manners. Hell, I think this is universal, with not only deaf peeps.. LOL. Does this make sense? Childhood programming for all.

Liza said:
I guess I'm saying is that some of us haven't learned to have that little voice telling us NO.. this is wrong, wrong, wrong... courtesy of our parents. :) I guess that can be a mixed blessing-- cos we feel more "free" to pursue whatever we don't feel restricted to, like exploring more of that sexuality or/and being more true to ourselves.. in some ways it can be a curse.. cos, like some of you mentioned already about the darker sides of deaf community.. some people haven't learned proper manners. Hell, I think this is universal, with not only deaf peeps.. LOL. Does this make sense? Childhood programming for all.
:Oops: Sorry for going off-topic! I was explaining about how word gets around easily among the deafies.

I have friends who are GLBT. The ones I have high respect for are those who act mature and are true to themselves. However, the ones that are true to themselves are the ones who are hearing. They act more mature and know what they're doing. The ones who are deaf usually end up taking too much pride in their GLBT that it pisses off others and end up making enemies. That only makes things harder for me when I'm in the middle of two groups who hate each other. :roll:

VamPyroX said:

That is one of many reasons I left Deaf Community and switch to Hearing Community....Deaf Community are like Enquirer so i call them "Deafquirer"...

Last edited:
:werd:

However, there are a few good deafies so I deal with them fine. :thumb:

Oh boy I've noticed how some deaf people take pride in being gay too far. I've some hearing relatives and friends who are gay, they've never said like that.

racheleggert - I'm sorry you had to experience that in the deaf community. I've stayed away from the deaf community since 1991 or 1992. The only times I went around the deaf was that I attended a football game and at least three silent night events but I never felt comfortable and welcomed to such. I rather stay away and not listen to any so-called rumors. I do have some deaf friends, but they don't go around the deaf community that I know of.

rachel and brian, you are still involved in the deaf community-- only it's digital with forums and all :) LOL thought i'd be a smartass and point that out!

Yeah, totally understandable, though. It varies on who the person is for me. I notice I do have more GLTB friends than straight friends... I am attracted to some of them them because I feel they are more open and honest with a very friendly air around them. There's a sense of style, too.

Brian said:
Oh boy I've noticed how some deaf people take pride in being gay too far. I've some hearing relatives and friends who are gay, they've never said like that.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that, glad I'm not alone!

Sorry to be off topic..but about deafies spread word so fast it makes your head spin!!..I was telling a couple of my old friends about my carpal tunnel syndrome and our moving to New York soon, well there was a deaf school reunion and i didnt go cuz i was gone to NY at the time, and my ex husband was there and these two told him what i said! I never told my ex about my situation with my wrists and the move to NY and then yesterday, he came to see me at work, all pissed off cuz i didnt tell him about my problem with my wrists and our move to NY..i was like WTF? like he is supposed to know about my life and plans! He told me that my best friend told him! Now i cant trust her anymore!!! Thank God, i didnt go to the reunion! I told him that im no longer his wife and i didnt have to tell him about my private life! I will never go to the reunions again in the future!

I notice I do have more GLTB friends than straight friends...
As do I. I mean I have a lot of straight friends too, but I seem to really hit it off with GLB folks....actually I seem to hit it off with virtually ANYONE who's considered "different" I remember one time a bunch of my GLB friends and I were hanging out in the lobby of our dorm talking, and Amanda said that another friend of ours had never felt 100% comfortable with straight people, just the way I've never felt 100% comfortable with hearing people. (at the time I wasn't out to too many people) I was like " OMG! I feel that way too!"
Maybe also, it's b/c some GLB people tend to accept differences better then the stereotypical suburban white middle class folks. Not all do....some gay males are so beyond superfical, but the hippy liberal types tend to be a lot more accepting of "differences"

Back