Deaf Education research......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did i say deaf schools were that expensive? I didnt. Even i think its cheaper than mainstreaming.

Do you understand ASL well? If so, i have a youtube that i made months ago on this topic.

When the costs of all services provided are considered, over the long term, it is usually cheaper to send to the deaf school.

When you consider the cost to the student, there is no price on the advantage of a deaf school. What is that commercial? Deaf school. Priceless.

Promotion of the CI with educational officials as a cost saving feature? What makes you think this was done and towards what end? Did you find that there was a time when high school principals on the take would begin visiting newborns in hospitals, looking for those with hearing loss and pushing CIs on unsuspecting parents?

Yes. What makes me think it was done? I have personally seen the literature.

The rest of your paragraph is nonsense.

Yes. What makes me think it was done? I have personally seen the literature.

The rest of your paragraph is nonsense.

Agreed, which is why I'm incredulous of your claim. To what purpose were school administrators marketed to or enlisted to promote CIs? How would this benefit a CI company?

Agreed, which is why I'm incredulous of your claim. To what purpose were school administrators marketed to or enlisted to promote CIs? How would this benefit a CI company?

You seem to think that the CI industry is an entity into and of itself. You fail to grasp the interconnectedness of the industry. Do you truly, naively, believe that societal costs were not included in the research and promotion of the CI?
Doubt me all you choose. I know what I have witnessed. I stand by my claims.

When the costs of all services provided are considered, over the long term, it is usually cheaper to send to the deaf school.

When you consider the cost to the student, there is no price on the advantage of a deaf school. What is that commercial? Deaf school. Priceless.

Not necessarily so. I know when doing research for an article I wrote in the early to mid 90s regarding this very issue the cost per pupil at the School for the Deaf closest to our home was approximately 4 times the per pupil cost of our local public school. Even after factoring in the costs of services for my child the projected cost of the total savings to our school district over the course of K through 12 were conservatively over $300,000.00.

Thus, in this case the Deaf School was by far the more expensive option and by far the inferior education.
Rick

By having a deaf child in their district, they wont have to pay $$ to send the child to a Deaf school and they were informed by the medical field that deaf children with CIs will not cost as much as deaf people without CIs so they bought into that belief.

I have seen that happen over and over again.

Professor Graeme Clark wrote in his book that it's cheaper to put deaf children into mainstream whereas it's costly to send a deaf child to deaf school.

Sure, mainstream can be cheaper but the emotional, social cost is too high in the end term anyway.

Clark is a supporter of CI, and oralism so he isn't a neutral person.

Besides, each child with a disability gets more funding no matter where they attend school compared to children with no disability.

Professor Graeme Clark wrote in his book that it's cheaper to put deaf children into mainstream whereas it's costly to send a deaf child to deaf school.

Sure, mainstream can be cheaper but the emotional, social cost is too high in the end term anyway.

Clark is a supporter of CI, and oralism so he isn't a neutral person.

Besides, each child with a disability gets more funding no matter where they attend school compared to children with no disability.

Clark also is the one who claimed it was $300k a student a year for deaf schools... lol

He is also the one who is credited for making the first functional CI device.

so yeah... there's the SKEW.

My mother told me that one of the main reasons the public schools never mentioned the deaf school as a placement option was because they were afraid of losing money they get from me. I don't know how valid this is, but if it's true, yikes.

A deaf school should always be considered as an option when discussing placement options in each IEP meeting. Doesn't mean you have to agree to sending the child there, but it should be discussed.

It is VERY ironic that the deaf school, since it is often termed as a residential school, is often considered the more restrictive environment on basis of the interpretation of what is Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). However, since it usually provides direct access to language via a common communication mode, then in that sense, it is actually less restrictive than public schools. For example, which is more restrictive. Direct instruction in which the teacher provides the instruction directly or the use of an interpreter, in which everything that is said is filtered through one person. Of course we should also mention the social opportunities.

Personally, I think it really depends on the child's support system at home. Many kids who succeed in the mainstreamed environment often have parental and family support to guide them. I was very "successful" in public schools (involved with organizations, had friends, 4.0 GPA with almost no modifications), etc. But I ended up going to the deaf school due to lack of social opportunities and direct communication with adults and peers since the public school was not able to provide that. I've experienced both settings.

The only thing I can come up with re: THE "How IS THIS POSSIBLE" reference to the teacher is: Mastery of English isn't a reflection/basis for intelligence.

No, it is not. But isn't knowing English well required for ACADEMIA?

Master's thesis?
PhD Dissertation?
Reports?

I wonder if he didn't have to do the above and simply did everything in ASL?

When I was in community college, i had a tutor for English who checked over my work. I turned it in and got a good grade for it.

But other subjects I do fine without a tutor.

But obviously, the tutor helped with your English. Your English skills are pretty damn good. I mean, I honestly am not picky about English skills. It isn't as if someone says something like "I know him real good.", I automatically think he has horrible English skills. Believe me, my expectations aren't all that high. Seriously man.... My ASL teacher's English is pretty bad.

If teachers know spanglish and are bilingual, then I guess the case is solved. Dunno how you learned english? If it was a breeze for you, what's the problem with the other spanish students? Curious what you think.

Spanglish = A combination of English and Spanish. Such as "Ay Dios Mio. No believe that porque ... is bad!"

Spanish also has a different syntax from English.

I was trying to show that the teachers speak fluent Spanish but are not really good with English. So when they speak English, it actually comes out more like Spanglish. You see what I mean? Sorta like how some hearing teachers can sign ASL in a more "English syntax". Like PSE.

I never learned Spanish like my cousins. Spanish was learned peripherally for them. I knew some Spanish but not to the extent of my cousins. I learned first and foremost English.

Not necessarily so. I know when doing research for an article I wrote in the early to mid 90s regarding this very issue the cost per pupil at the School for the Deaf closest to our home was approximately 4 times the per pupil cost of our local public school. Even after factoring in the costs of services for my child the projected cost of the total savings to our school district over the course of K through 12 were conservatively over $300,000.00.

Thus, in this case the Deaf School was by far the more expensive option and by far the inferior education.
Rick

You are referring to a case history...one child. Additionally, one child that required no services, according to your claims. This is not the case with the majority. One student, such as the one you referenced, is not sufficient change the numbers for the majority. The majority of students in the mainstream who use a CI require additional accommodation and services.

No, it is not. But isn't knowing English well required for ACADEMIA?

Master's thesis?
PhD Dissertation?
Reports?

I wonder if he didn't have to do the above and simply did everything in ASL?

Not really. Creative and fluid thought is required, and that is dependent upon having the native to near native use of a language, period. Translation into English is a service that can be provided.

Wirelessly posted

Daredevel7 said:
deafgal001 said:
When I was in community college, i had a tutor for English who checked over my work. I turned it in and got a good grade for it.

But other subjects I do fine without a tutor.

But obviously, the tutor helped with your English. Your English skills are pretty damn good. I mean, I honestly am not picky about English skills. It isn't as if someone says something like "I know him real good.", I automatically think he has horrible English skills. Believe me, my expectations aren't all that high. Seriously man.... My ASL teacher's English is pretty bad.

I wonder why people and tests (not just one tests but many tests over the years in school...I was always at below average in
reading and writing) lied to me and say it need more work....or backward. Btw, you'll often see me finding a substitute for words or analogy to explain what I mean. Or using" s" and" ed" inappropriately at times. Being able to write (or speak) words in the correct sentence form doesn't tell the whole story.

Tutor just check and corrected my work.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I wonder why people and tests (not just one tests but many tests over the years in school...I was always at below average in
reading and writing) lied to me and say it need more work....or backward. Btw, you'll often see me finding a substitute for words or analogy to explain what I mean. Or using" s" and" ed" inappropriately at times. Being able to write (or speak) words in the correct sentence form doesn't tell the whole story.

Tutor just check and corrected my work.

This is so true, and one of the problems I have when they assess deaf children using tests that have been standardized on hearing kids. It presents a distorted picture of the deaf kid's abilities.

Wirelessly posted

If I did another test right now I probably still fail.

Wirelessly posted

Do you know any online version of one? I am wondering if I improve (it doesn't hurt me one bit if I haven't )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back