Deaf Education research......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let you know, I wasn't referring to teachers.

Just to let you know, I wasn't referring to teachers.

I know but people are complaining that deaf schools cost so much and probably thinking that us, teachers, get all the money but we dont. Not at all.

Other than transportation and dorms, Why do deaf schools in general cost so much
I think that's your answer. Dorms are expensive. Plus, I mean you have to have a pretty large staff (dorm parents, food service workers, good speech teachers, VERY specialized teachers, etc etc) Not to mention that
Besides, I wonder, where that stat comes from and how it was calculated. I wonder actually if the cost of educating a (deaf or hearing) kid at a "neighborhood school" was calculated without the cost of the buildings thrown in. I know for example that in recent years, high schools and new schools have run into the MILLIONS in terms of how much they cost. (and that is without dorms and other stuff)
Is it comparable to Schools for other disabilties? I do know for example that schools for kids with severe and profound intellectucal issues are really expensive b/c many of those kids are medically fragile and require 24/7 nursing care. And you know...I think maybe Deaf Schools may be at the low end of the spectrum, in terms of cost for specialized schools. Did you know for example, that most kids at Schools for the Blind are intellectucally disabled? There are some "just blind " kids at Blind Schools yes, (and a couple of states actually have a lot of "just blind" kids in their state schools, meaning Florida and Oklahoma) So they may need extra special teachers. I think you have to compare with specialized schools for disabiltie, rather then a neighborhood school.

in colorado - school for the deaf is $41k a head, while public school with interpreters are $50k+

Are you paying out of pocket for it?

My local public school has picked up the cost for this year and last ($130K, taken out of the local school's budget). For kindergarten and beyond, it's going to be a matter of deciding whether of not our local school can provide the least restrictive environment. Our IEP denotes the services for and objectives of her education each year, not the placement, so if the local school can prove that they provide a teacher of the deaf and can achieve the same objectives we've laid out, we may find our placement changed. If so, we'd have the option to continue to send Li to her current school -- out of our own pocket -- just as we have the option to send her to any other private school she can get admittance to.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Other than transportation and dorms, Why do deaf schools in general cost so much
I think that's your answer. Dorms are expensive. Plus, I mean you have to have a pretty large staff (dorm parents, food service workers, good speech teachers, VERY specialized teachers, etc etc) Not to mention that
Besides, I wonder, where that stat comes from and how it was calculated. I wonder actually if the cost of educating a (deaf or hearing) kid at a "neighborhood school" was calculated without the cost of the buildings thrown in. I know for example that in recent years, high schools and new schools have run into the MILLIONS in terms of how much they cost. (and that is without dorms and other stuff)
Is it comparable to Schools for other disabilties? I do know for example that schools for kids with severe and profound intellectucal issues are really expensive b/c many of those kids are medically fragile and require 24/7 nursing care. And you know...I think maybe Deaf Schools may be at the low end of the spectrum, in terms of cost for specialized schools. Did you know for example, that most kids at Schools for the Blind are intellectucally disabled? There are some "just blind " kids at Blind Schools yes, (and a couple of states actually have a lot of "just blind" kids in their state schools, meaning Florida and Oklahoma) So they may need extra special teachers. I think you have to compare with specialized schools for disabiltie, rather then a neighborhood school.

Public school do have very specialized SLP/teachers as they do have kids with multiple disabilities.

Last edited:
My local public school has picked up the cost for this year and last ($130K, taken out of the local school's budget). For kindergarten and beyond, it's going to be a matter of deciding whether of not our local school can provide the least restrictive environment. Our IEP denotes the services for and objectives of her education each year, not the placement, so if the local school can prove that they provide a teacher of the deaf and can achieve the same objectives we've laid out, we may find our placement changed. If so, we'd have the option to continue to send Li to her current school -- out of our own pocket -- just as we have the option to send her to any other private school she can get admittance to.

Is this school a private school?

Where did i say deaf schools were that expensive? I didnt. Even i think its cheaper than mainstreaming.

Do you understand ASL well? If so, i have a youtube that i made months ago on this topic.
My mistake, I didn't express myself clear. What I tried to say, is how do you know that the higher ups are thinking money? If deaf schools are cheaper in both the short run and the long run, the higher ups should be able to recognize it? If they were thinking money, they would stop funding mainstream programs and bet all the money on deaf schools?

Guess I'm trying to play the devils advocate here, and I'm also curious about this.

Yes, know ASL from my stay in USA, but don't know where to look for your clip on youtube.

My mistake, I didn't express myself clear. What I tried to say, is how do you know that the higher ups are thinking money? If deaf schools are cheaper in both the short run and the long run, the higher ups should be able to recognize it? If they were thinking money, they would stop funding mainstream programs and bet all the money on deaf schools?

Guess I'm trying to play the devils advocate here, and I'm also curious about this.

Yes, know ASL from my stay in USA, but don't know where to look for your clip on youtube.

I can get into this in a longer detail. Let me get back to you on this. I am short on time right now. my youtube is youtube.com/itztba and look for think tank introduction and lmk what you think.

If a child who is in 5th grade gets transferred from a public school with a reading level at the kindergarten level. What is a Deaf school supposed to do? Expect the child to read at 5th grade level or teach at the child's level and work hard to get the child caught up?

This isnt a made-up scenario, BTW.

So what is your suggestion on situations like these?

No, unfortunately, it is not made up. It is an all too frequent every day occurrance.

In an effort to continue some disagreement in this thread, I blame you for saying that a good deaf school looks way more expensive than expensive surgeries, dumping ground policy, drug rehab costs, mental counselling and life long SSI expenses. The higher ups can't be THAT stupid?

Actually they can. One of the ways that promotion of the CI was approached with the educational officials was to say that it would be more cost efficient than accommodation. That has been proven to be completely false in recent years, but it was still a marketing technique that hearing educators bought into.

Actually they can. One of the ways that promotion of the CI was approached with the educational officials was to say that it would be more cost efficient than accommodation. That has been proven to be completely false in recent years, but it was still a marketing technique that hearing educators bought into.

Promotion of the CI with educational officials as a cost saving feature? What makes you think this was done and towards what end? Did you find that there was a time when high school principals on the take would begin visiting newborns in hospitals, looking for those with hearing loss and pushing CIs on unsuspecting parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back