Deaf Culture..

I understand what you are saying, MM. Deaf Clubs at one time in history, were an every night of the week gathering place. It was the only way Deaf had of staying in contact with each other and learning about what was going on in their community and their world. Technology has opened up the ways that Deaf communicate, and therefore, the nature of the Deaf club has changed.

I suppose my mistake was noting the change and automatically assuming it was negative.

I suppose my mistake was noting the change and automatically assuming it was negative.

Forced change, as in what we saw with oralism, is always negative. However, change through shared and willing contact is not always negative, and in fact, is often positive.

I have 2 CI's, and I'm still pretty proud of my deaf culture and my ASL and being with the deaf community. Honestly? I'm not afraid of it.

Even though a lot of deafies/ HOH are getting Cochlear implants, we're still deaf on the inside. I know it doesn't really changes anything, but it's still pretty true. We have to be able to communicate, meaning we would use ASL or lipreading or doing the old fashioned pen and paper. Everything is about technology, i mean we have the Sorenson Video phone to help us out, the IPhone because it has facetime to let us also communicate with our deaf peers, we have closed captionings, FM systems, you name it. We still have to fight for ourselves, about getting what we need like an interpreter for school services or doctor appointments,etc and getting a job,etc. Deaf pride isn't going to end. There are still people teaching the deaf culture and ASL. I teach ASL and the deaf culture to my hearing friends and they're pretty amazed of what we can do. I mean, Last year there was an opposing high school that saw me signing and they were making fun of me, and my hearing friends who knows me pretty well has stood up for me against them.

Its kind of basically about taking a risk, getting to know both worlds; the hearing and deaf world. It doesn't hurt to try sometimes. I'm not letting go any of my deaf culture, I grew up with the deaf community up until i was going into centerville city schools in the 4th grade. I still sign, I still talk to my deaf friends. Plus, I'm in a documentary called Rhythm Generation-- a drumline documentary, and they had me sign in it, What they saw in me is a deaf girl representing a deaf community with deaf pride, even with 2 cochlear implants, and isn't afraid to show any of her deaf pride to others.

We accomplished so much, and I don't think we are going to give up on anything now, it would suck if we didn't keep pushing. But the deaf community? its not going to fade. There's alot of Deaf peers that are definitely Deaf Pride.

Coolgirl, Agreed 100%! I think people are afraid that Deaf culture will die out b/c traditionally hoh kids really haven't gotten the advantage of Deaf culture and Deaf Ed. That is REALLY sad. We need to get the message out to parents that Deaf culture is now very Hoh friendly. I really do think that even some AG Bell parents would be surprised at how different Deaf culture and Deaf Schools are from what they've been told by people like Ann Geers and Carol Flexor.

not only not getting Deaf ed, but also a 'a look from OUR side of the fence to the hearing's land' , ==that is a la=Hearing Ed...by this i mean a cirrculum to do "Hearing Culture" so that mean Deaf students/kid/teens/before-attending-universities can learn the difference between worlds and cultures, not just about what deaf supposedly can (in emphasis) over the 'can't' <<which is often the focus in 'Deaf Studies", ....but in way, to look how did it happen that most Deaf people dont really know whats IS in the Hearing culture ..... (music culture is a intrigueing aspect of hearing culture which still animately influence deaf culture' but to really look at how hearing culture dominates. This is to say, not just looking at how we are expected to do, but what are hearing people expected to believe how ( to each other) and 'why', more so ' that why' should be that 'hearing people be taught to consider themselve 'more able' or more 'esteemed' the dea/Deaf people. damn it its all in Deaf English, tell me whats right about it, and whats Wrong about it....!!!!!!!

not only not getting Deaf ed, but also a 'a look from OUR side of the fence to the hearing's land' , ==that is a la=Hearing Ed...by this i mean a cirrculum to do "Hearing Culture" so that mean Deaf students/kid/teens/before-attending-universities can learn the difference between worlds and cultures, not just about what deaf supposedly can (in emphasis) over the 'can't' <<which is often the focus in 'Deaf Studies", ....but in way, to look how did it happen that most Deaf people dont really know whats IS in the Hearing culture ..... (music culture is a intrigueing aspect of hearing culture which still animately influence deaf culture' but to really look at how hearing culture dominates. This is to say, not just looking at how we are expected to do, but what are hearing people expected to believe how ( to each other) and 'why', more so ' that why' should be that 'hearing people be taught to consider themselve 'more able' or more 'esteemed' the dea/Deaf people. damn it its all in Deaf English, tell me whats right about it, and whats Wrong about it....!!!!!!!

It does amaze me to learn how much of the hearing culture some deaf folks are ignorant of. It does help to understand how the deaf can develop such a unique culture in the middle of a big ocean of hearing culture.

This is good food for thoughts! Now I really do wish people begin to think about how much we 'know about Hearing culture" AND to ask hearing (or findout for ourselves) how much do hearing people really know what IS hearing culture for themselves....interestingly, a very similar suggestion as been raised bya renowned Deaf writer Mairian Corker which is highly thought provoking;
“I want to put the word “hearing” in front of culture. How much of what you have been putting into the outline of the [hearing culture] depends on the hearing, and, because culture is expressed through and shaped by language .... first how much of hearing culture depends on hearing? – second – how much of hearing culture depends on language being word form? “(Corker,1998 , p 45).

This is good food for thoughts! Now I really do wish people begin to think about how much we 'know about Hearing culture" AND to ask hearing (or findout for ourselves) how much do hearing people really know what IS hearing culture for themselves....interestingly, a very similar suggestion as been raised bya renowned Deaf writer Mairian Corker which is highly thought provoking;
“I want to put the word “hearing” in front of culture. How much of what you have been putting into the outline of the [hearing culture] depends on the hearing, and, because culture is expressed through and shaped by language .... first how much of hearing culture depends on hearing? – second – how much of hearing culture depends on language being word form? “(Corker,1998 , p 45).

they would laugh at you for knowing about HEARING culture. or I misunderstand reading you. mmmm

no, its quite serious, and yes some might laugh..of curse but they would be laughing at something they dont anything about, now read this quote, talking about language use and form - it's a deadly serious question, read it again and ponder....

Grummer, You can not put hearing in front of the culture if you have a deaf perspective. This is our Deaf Culture when we are in the Deaf communities. Deaf Culture is ASL. There are some Deaf actors or comedians that gave us ASL to tell us the stories or jokes which we all understand. This is what make us unique and special in shaping our deafness in our communities. We are together in this Deaf Culture and not feel isolated when we sign.

I don't understand your trying to define putting the hearing in front of the culture. This is for the hearing people who would rather have hearing perspective and they are trying to have all deafies be in their hearing culture which we have a hard time trying to understand them without ASL. If the oral deafies want to be in the hearing culture. Then let them but it will be a hard time to understand by lipreading and impossible to listen. :dunno:

er..you missed the whole point, and ASL is only an American deaf culture, NOT the Deaf culture per see, America iS NOT the only bloody country in the world you know?
and wha im saying its a lot like saying
instead of black culture, asking the whites to look at their own culture, white culture' in an instant i bet you they would say they dont have it... see??
\
the real point ,is of ignorance, in many angles..

...and Corker's argument is about language...
read it again...

Grummer, are you saying that if you're in the dominant culture in that particular society you take it for granted that it's just there and doesn't bear analysis or investigation? Whereas if you're in (picking words carefully) a minority you're aware that you don't fit in with the (again) majority and you begin to notice how your little pocket is different to the big one that constantly surrounds you?

Grummer, are you saying that if you're in the dominant culture in that particular society you take it for granted that it's just there and doesn't bear analysis or investigation? Whereas if you're in (picking words carefully) a minority you're aware that you don't fit in with the (again) majority and you begin to notice how your little pocket is different to the big one that constantly surrounds you?

in short answer yes, in long answer no. but generally a 'yip' just to keep the thread focused.
:cool2:

and well...Corker's quote is more like a mockery on the hearing professionals' assumption that they require English in the hearing world, and that hearing what is going on is quite different from understanding word-forms, and as well as knowing what going on in the hearing soceity.
Another way of interpreting Corker's quote, is, this can provoke us to think about the deeper appreciation of Deaf culture, AND same time to begin to think about 'WHAT IS" Hearing culture?
-- my point is, for Deaf education could be vastly improved (and hearig culture awareness for hearing students) because we would be able to put hearing culture/ the how of the use of English are different for hearing and deaf people/kids/students.
This quote is very interesting, as it has a huge potential for it to be used as reference for deeper discussion, in fact, I believe there could be much deeper discussion than previously thought!
i like this line in particular; " first how much of hearing culture depends on hearing? – second – how much of hearing culture depends on language being word form? "

Deaf writer Mairian Corker which is highly thought provoking;

and well...Corker's quote is more like a mockery on the hearing professionals' assumption that they require English in the hearing world, and that hearing what is going on is quite different from understanding word-forms, and as well as knowing what going on in the hearing soceity.
Another way of interpreting Corker's quote, is, this can provoke us to think about the deeper appreciation of Deaf culture, AND same time to begin to think about 'WHAT IS" Hearing culture?
-- my point is, for Deaf education could be vastly improved (and hearig culture awareness for hearing students) because we would be able to put hearing culture/ the how of the use of English are different for hearing and deaf people/kids/students.
This quote is very interesting, as it has a huge potential for it to be used as reference for deeper discussion, in fact, I believe there could be much deeper discussion than previously thought!
i like this line in particular; " first how much of hearing culture depends on hearing? – second – how much of hearing culture depends on language being word form? "

Deaf writer Mairian Corker which is highly thought provoking;

SMH and :roll:

Back