Deaf Culture..

ABout the deaf club or any other deaf club are closed which is true. Not enough $$ to keep the shelter open. That's why lots of happy hours become popular for dphh or some specific special events for deafies..

Yes that's sad to see lots of agencies or club that are closed a lot in years.

I often go to a DHH in my area (Baltimore DHH Baltimore's Deaf Happy Hour 2011) I haven't been to a Deaf club since my college years in Northern Michigan.

I'm not sure I like correlating the internet effects on Deaf clubs with Cochlear Implants effects on Deaf clubs. I think the two are so different in their impact that they need to be reviewed independently.

I go to Baltimore Deaf happy hour every now and then and enjoy them more than looking at my phone.

I'm not sure I like correlating the internet effects on Deaf clubs with Cochlear Implants effects on Deaf clubs. I think the two are so different in their impact that they need to be reviewed independently.

I wasn't correlating them, I was contrasting them.

When cochlear implants first came on the scene, the argument was that it would dilute or fragment the Deaf community, and the response was a very strong resistance to it and a surge in Deaf pride and a strengthening of the community.

The internet, on the other hand, quietly snuck in, and it's almost as if nobody noticed the real impact it was having on the Deaf community until it was too late -- namely the fact that news, information, etc. could be relayed without having to do it face to face like in the "old days". Suddenly mass gatherings and spending hours "catching up" seem to have become a thing of the past. Not saying that Deaf people don't hang out together anymore, but it seems the gatherings are smaller and more intimate, more like hearing culture than traditional Deaf culture.

That's why I say that the internet has possibly had a bigger impact on Deaf culture than cochlear implants.

I wasn't correlating them, I was contrasting them.

When cochlear implants first came on the scene, the argument was that it would dilute or fragment the Deaf community, and the response was a very strong resistance to it and a surge in Deaf pride and a strengthening of the community.

The internet, on the other hand, quietly snuck in, and it's almost as if nobody noticed the real impact it was having on the Deaf community until it was too late -- namely the fact that news, information, etc. could be relayed without having to do it face to face like in the "old days". Suddenly mass gatherings and spending hours "catching up" seem to have become a thing of the past. Not saying that Deaf people don't hang out together anymore, but it seems the gatherings are smaller and more intimate, more like hearing culture than traditional Deaf culture.

That's why I say that the internet has possibly had a bigger impact on Deaf culture than cochlear implants.

The internet has had a similar (if not the same) proportional impact to the hearing community. Just about the only place outside of a sports league that folks meet is in Church and even that is in decline.

They both had (or are having) an impact on our culture and its really hard to foretell what changes are going to take place in 25 years from now. Fighting the changes is not practical. I think the key is Deaf people have a culture here, now, today. Anyone who is deaf, HOH, or involved int he Deaf community are active participants in the perpetuation of our culture and in adapting that culture to their own lifestyles. Perhaps it might be beneficial to think about how we can preserve our culture for future generations that may not have the opportunity to meet with us one-on-one.

I'm finding it interesting in a way. At my deaf club, I have yet to see the first person with a CI. In fact, here in town, I have not seen anyone with a CI. I know there is at least 1 since there is a user here on AD that I think has a CI and lives in the same town that I do, but I have yet to meet her in person. We travel in different circles.

I see a lot of HA's, but no CI's, but yet, at the deaf club, it's all HA's or nothing and at the few times I went to a different setting for a deaf chat, there were no CI's at all.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I'm going to an ASL social that I learned about on the internet. I called a friend on Skype to see if she's going. Now, what is this about technology destroying the Deaf community? ;-)

I'm finding it interesting in a way. At my deaf club, I have yet to see the first person with a CI. In fact, here in town, I have not seen anyone with a CI. I know there is at least 1 since there is a user here on AD that I think has a CI and lives in the same town that I do, but I have yet to meet her in person. We travel in different circles.

I see a lot of HA's, but no CI's, but yet, at the deaf club, it's all HA's or nothing and at the few times I went to a different setting for a deaf chat, there were no CI's at all.

CI's tend to look like HA when the person wearing them has long hair.

Yes. I see quite a few people about with CIs. I think Kristina has said it's all really old people in the Palm Beach deaf club.

Prelingual deaf, pre CI generation.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I'm going to an ASL social that I learned about on the internet. I called a friend on Skype to see if she's going. Now, what is this about technology destroying the Deaf community? ;-)

I suppose you missed this part of my observation: "Not saying that Deaf people don't hang out together anymore, but it seems the gatherings are smaller and more intimate, more like hearing culture than traditional Deaf culture."

----------

The internet has had a similar (if not the same) proportional impact to the hearing community. Just about the only place outside of a sports league that folks meet is in Church and even that is in decline.

Yes, but my observation -- and I could be wrong -- is that the impact on Deaf culture has been more fundamental and profound.

I think it could make for a fascinating sociological study. Unfortunately I'm not a sociologist, and I don't have the time or training to undertake such a study.

Ah, but here we have most people with either short hair or in pony-tails. Too hot for anything else.

And yes, most of the deaf club is the older generation, but I am finding that more and more younger are coming in as well. In our Deaf church, we have quite a few younger ones.

In any part of the deaf community (that is all inclusive, BTW) CI users are still a very small minority.

I suppose you missed this part of my observation: "Not saying that Deaf people don't hang out together anymore, but it seems the gatherings are smaller and more intimate, more like hearing culture than traditional Deaf culture."

----------

Yes, but my observation -- and I could be wrong -- is that the impact on Deaf culture has been more fundamental and profound.

I think it could make for a fascinating sociological study. Unfortunately I'm not a sociologist, and I don't have the time or training to undertake such a study.

I understand what you are saying, MM. Deaf Clubs at one time in history, were an every night of the week gathering place. It was the only way Deaf had of staying in contact with each other and learning about what was going on in their community and their world. Technology has opened up the ways that Deaf communicate, and therefore, the nature of the Deaf club has changed.

I understand what you are saying, MM. Deaf Clubs at one time in history, were an every night of the week gathering place. It was the only way Deaf had of staying in contact with each other and learning about what was going on in their community and their world. Technology has opened up the ways that Deaf communicate, and therefore, the nature of the Deaf club has changed.

Hell yeah to that! Until the internet came along I felt isolated as I did not know about Deaf groups or socials and, honestly, was embarrassed to associate with my own community back then.

A whole world of communication opened up and my own self acceptance was part of the result.

Many of people social the fun deaf social on saskatoon! I have enjoy fun I am pretty interesting fun, It is very bit grow community!

In any part of the deaf community (that is all inclusive, BTW) CI users are still a very small minority.

Then how come there was a huge outcry against them? How come they are blamed for declining enrollment in schools for the Deaf? How come AG Bell parades them and the media is ALL about how awesome they are?

Then how come there was a huge outcry against them? How come they are blamed for declining enrollment in schools for the Deaf? How come AG Bell parades them and the media is ALL about how awesome they are?

good question

Audism. As I've said numerous times. CIs are not responsible for declining enrollment. The motive behind implanting a child is behind it: the excuse to put a child in an oral only, mainstream, be as much like hearing as possible environment. Parental audism is the reason.

Yes, technology brings in younger people, too. That alone changes the nature of the club.

Audism. As I've said numerous times. CIs are not responsible for declining enrollment. The motive behind implanting a child is behind it: the excuse to put a child in an oral only, mainstream, be as much like hearing as possible environment. Parental audism is the reason.

Oh yeah it doesn't surprise me. And it's pretty much a fact that CIs are basicly like hearing aids in their effect. Meaning there are kids who are functionally hoh with a CI (just like with hearing aids) but there are also kids who cannot aquire speech or who hear like an unaided hohie with CIs. Heck there are still a lot of implantees at MANY STATE schools for the deaf (not just Clarke, Moog,St. Joseph's, Tucker-Maxon, CID and the other ones)
That tells you something.
So you're saying the media has overexergatted (sp?) the impact that CIs have had on ASL and Deaf culture? That really doesn't surprise me. What percentage of deaf kids are implanted?
I do have to say that I do think that while there are a lot of AG Bell style parents out there, a lot of parents do seem to be more like mine and Kristinia's parents.....meaning they're unaware that deaf schools/programs are hoh friendly and that dhh kids can go there. I know from my Deaf listservs that a lot of parents aren't even TOLD about the Deaf school option.

Back