Deaf children's parents must decide on surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK OK OK... Can we cool off for a while? It been on heat debates for a LOOOOOOONG time. Everybody have different opinions, thoughts and examples. Some of you have accept CI and some of you don't accept CI, and we all have different ways to discuss about pros and cons. CI is for ALL ages, from babies to olders.

CI is not a comestic surgery, it is prostetic surgery, it is a device stick in your head to help you hear and learn to improve your oral speech. Not to make your ears look pretty.

Everyone have different opinions, that is all. I understand now.

OFF-TOPIC - I am giving example - I am not jumping on anyone.
Here is hypothesis:

You are the mom (and Dad, too), and you can make choices for your kids. You can make them happy and have a comfortable life. That is good. There is something you wish that you might want to try. Your children is hearing, and you never know, they talk about you for some reasons, and what if your kids said, "God, I wish you can hear my sing!", "Man, I wish you listen my music in school!" or "God, I wish you to hear my band!" and you can't hear your kids' songs or bands or music. They might say, I wish my mom or dad get a CI and try to see if they can hear my voice. You never know, your kids might talk about you in behind your back.

How do you feel about that?

It's my opinion, period. :bump:

It's my last :type: on CI threads and enjoy my retirement from now.

It's my retirement is enjoy to read any interesting threads and get away from these CI threads.

:ty: share your interesting discussion and opinions. It's time for me end my discussion here. :bye: to CI threads now.

Last edited:
CrazyRedHeadWV said:
OK OK OK...

You never know, your kids might talk about you in behind your back.

How do you feel about that?

Answer your question:

It make no difference either the parents are deaf nor hearing but the children can talk about you in behind your back.

I do talk about my hearing parents's behind in their back when I was young. The children can sign behind their hearing parents's back. You know what I mean.

I know my children talk about me in behind my back. I'm deaf but I has the
shape feeling when they talk about me. One of my children run to tell me what his brother talk about me. You know what the children alike.

Last edited:
Some of you have accept CI and some of you don't accept CI, and we all have different ways to discuss about pros and cons.

Nobody said they do not accept CI, Stop saying that! I wish people would just stop and read posts before hitting the submit, If some of you do not understand then ask don't amused.

I advice to those who have no clue or give misinformation to do their research and how common or how often do they happen.

It has nothing to do with misinformation! Just because, some of us agree that it should be both parent and child together decision that doesn't mean we are misinformed. It is just what we believe in, Deal with it!

I've heard the same 'repeat' what CI can do but you missing out the point of our posts We never said what CI cannot do for anyone. It's like some of you are repeating the same old broken record and its none sense. I am done discussing this CI because, I am tired of seeing the repeating phrase too often and not getting their point across at all.

Yea. I know what your mean.. Children are like that. And I hope my son doesn't have to put up with me, but I know he will do one day, you know snap at me and make me feel bad. Kid will always be kids... You know, Life is not fair.

I am going to run away from CI, and I hate talking about CI with other people, and I understand people hate my guts and hate my opinions, and I am going to go away.. I know you all are mad at me or dispointment or pissed off at me.. That is okay.. You have reason to be. I am sorry if I did.

Admins/Moderators, I want out of this forum for good... :cry:

Okay CrazyRedHeadWV,

I forget to answer your post one more over the children. My children accept what I am.

Yes, they did said to me:

"It's shame that you can't hear because there're beautiful bird singing etc. I give them the positive way why my deafness doesn't matter to me. They accept that I'm happy what I am".

Important is:

Don't let anyone feel sorry for me and never talk negative over deafness.

CrazyRedHead said:
Admins/Moderators, I want out of this forum for good...

Aw :(

Come on guys, we can do alot better than arguring back and fourth over what their view may be, as long as everyone has the chance to speak on this, if there's an disagreement, we are allow to say one or two things why we may disagree on someone's post but can we please do it in a civil way, I'm about to leave this thread too if this is going out of hand.... :squint:

No one is wrong when it comes to believing in something whether it may be right or wrong, every parents has their own view on how to raise their children whether with the use of implant or hearing aids....I don't care if you feel that you want your child to wear hearing aids until the child reach the age of 7 that is fine with me since youre the parent of that child but if the parents wants to implant their child with CI younger than the age of 7, by all meaning do it then.....I know this, when you implant your child with CI in the earlier age then the more your child has the chance of being successful in their language skills, hearing and speech << that's the fact!

No one is a bad parents when it comes to making a choice for their child, with or without their child's being involved....

That's all I'm going to say on this for now, let's hope this settle down a bit, it sad to see everyone getting angry over nothing really....It's just pointless :(

i agree it is going out of hand.... wish u all would just accept that we all disagree on certain areas and lets just let this die down now its cuz too much so to speak... CI will always have disagreements on certain issues. so let's let this go for now...

Although I am uneducated when it comes to CI, I can understand both sides after reading most of the posts in this thread. But please remember that everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and respect should be shown to one another.

Anyway, I posted a while ago that my parents were thinking about CI for me when I was a child. Like garretmom, my parents learned that losing my hearing that I had left during the CI process was a high probability, and that the operation being successful was not guaranteed. :Ohno:

Well, here I am and I don't have CI but I do wear a hearing aid which helps a lot. I'm already interested in getting a digital hearing aid for a change, but that's a different story. ;)

If I was a parent and had a deaf child, it would be really tough making a decision about CI. I understand the benefits of it in the hearing world, but I just don't know if it's the "right" thing to do. Right now someone I'm closed with is thinking about getting CI. I told her to research as much as she could, ask a lot questions, and that I'll always support her no matter what her decision. :thumb:

Nobody said they do not accept CI
Yes, most of us are simply saying that we think that in most cases it should be a choice made with the input of BOTH the parent AND the child. According to the tenants of Auditory-Verbal, 95% of deaf kids can learn speech with hearing aids ALONE. That should make CI implantation relatively rare. Yet it's now beyond popular. I dunno....seems kinda fishy to me if you ask me!

Liebling:)))
The children would not end up with depression or what if the parents educate their children in positive way.
I would end unhappy and depression if my parents didnt' give me positive life that's why I thank my parent for that.

See? This sounds like you're saying that if children got a CI early that they aren't happy. You seem to say that parents who choose CI don't want their children to be happy. I don't know where you're getting at here. It doesn't even seem relevant one bit. Are you just having a childhood flashback? I am confused where you're getting at here. There are happy CI children and NO parent wish malice with a CI.

I think it's nothing wrong to wear babies with HA when they are 6 months old until they familiar with HA and speech therapy etc. They can have CI later.

I told you some children do not benefit from hearing aids. You didn't say anything about that. I bet you're skimming around my posts. Why don't you face it that there are children who benefit zero from hearing aids? I am bringing that up because there's a lot more than what you're saying.

Example:
It would be greater to have CI straight way when the people lost their hearing to deafness.

Normally that's what happens. Kids usually lose their hearing around 1-3 years of age. I lost at 2.5 and having a CI I can see how much farther I could have gotten if I was implanted at around that age or 3. This is something you won't understand. At 7, a child should be more relaxed in language and learning to sing songs not re-learning to hear again. Your idea is too general. Not every child is deaf since birth. You keep forgetting to confront this issue. You said people who lose their deafness that it's okay to implant right away...what people? What age?

Her son is big now and thank her mother for not see him as "baby designer".

This is when you get nasty Liebling. Watch your words.

Alex, Liebling and others.

I can understand a lot of what is happening, but as a CI person myself, I have a lot of challenging questions to bring up because not every deaf child is the same. When I read, there's a lot of flawed reasons saying it's not life saving surgery especially WRONG information that's being repeated again and again. Everyone know it's not a life saving surgery. That's a flawed reason. That's why a lot of people don't respect those who call it that. It's silly from the start. I have to go back and say, "hey what are you saying here?" Example, Cheri didn't know how they know if children won't do well with HA. I already said before that, and I thank Angel for doing her research. I can respect Angel more now because she brought a fact. That confirms it, but somehow some people don't want to believe it and keep repeating information already corrected. Liebling continues to label it cosmetics surgery and baby designer? How much cruel can you get Liebling? If you can't say anything nice or intelligent, then don't say anything. If I see wrong information, I am going to bring it up and correct it as I have done many times. Why would you want people to leave here thinking that it's cosmetic or the body rejects it when it's actually called Migration? I bring issues to challenge you because it doesn't look like you've thoroughly learned a lot, but I can see you're learning a little from us because you suddenly say it's up to parents and it's okay for those who lost their hearing.

Bringing up the issues of the big ears from your child was a PERFECT example of a non-survival surgery. PERFECT. That's why it is so flawed to say that CI is not a surgery for survival. It's merely for sarcasm and lack of anything intelligent to say.
When you don't know the true facts, that's when debates do not grow mature. It just stays to be a cycle of repeating the same old crappy info. If you have to bring words calling it cosmetics and baby designers, you can't gain any respect or points for giving your mature point.

Last edited:
Tiara, please read alex's post.... i dont need to say anything futher please respect other poepoe's opioion no need for u to get all upset this is thier opioion please respect it no one is right or wrong here everyone has thier own thoughts..... thank you.

javapride said:
Tiara, please read alex's post.... i dont need to say anything futher please respect other poepoe's opioion no need for u to get all upset this is thier opioion please respect it no one is right or wrong here everyone has thier own thoughts..... thank you.

javapride, my post was half intended to reply to Alex. Let me change the way I address it below. I had more inputs.

Quote:
The children would not end up with depression or what if the parents educate their children in positive way.
I would end unhappy and depression if my parents didnt' give me positive life that's why I thank my parent for that.

TiaraPrincess
See? This sounds like you're saying that if children got a CI early that they aren't happy. You seem to say that parents who choose CI don't want their children to be happy. I don't know where you're getting at here. It doesn't even seem relevant one bit. Are you just having a childhood flashback? I am confused where you're getting at here. There are happy CI children and NO parent wish malice with a CI.

You misread my post: I'm not talking about CI users but non-CI users

What I mean is:
I'm deaf in my life and have poistive life, that's how I get it from? is my parents! I thank my parents to give me postive life.
The children would end depression if their parents didn't give them positive life about their deafness. I'm deaf and don't have depression. I'm happy what I am and what I have. :)
Got it?

I'm sorry that you don't accept my opinion over comestic surgery and baby designer because it's truth.
I'm not only one say this. My interperter told me herself, also others, too. :) I has to agree with her and others that it's baby designer. It's my opinion.

Last edited:
Anyway,
Thank you to convince them that we has different opinions than others because it's our opinion, Alex, Angel, Cheri and JavaPride. :angel:

Everyone,
Thank you again for share your posts here.

Last edited:
Hello, Alex....got a question for ya. You say you wear an aid and it helps you lots. Just curious here about how much is a lot because the truly reputable CI professionals out there say that if one gets "too much" (whatever that means but I assume comprehension of the spoken word) benefit from a hearing aid, one would NOT be qualified for implantation.

Your idea is too general. Not every child is deaf since birth. You keep forgetting to confront this issue. You said people who lose their deafness that it's okay to implant right away...what people? What age?
Actually TieraPrincess, I recall that the stats say that only about 10% of people with hearing loss were born with it. Most lost their hearing,and of those who don't benifit from hearing aids, most have an advantage over born or early deafened (before one year) kids. Research has clearly shown that kids who LOST their hearing have an easier time in using the CI.

What I mean is:
I'm deaf in my life and have poistive life, that's how I get it from? is my parents! I thank my parents to give me postive life.
The children would end depression if their parents didn't give them positive life about their deafness. I'm deaf and don't have depression. I'm happy what I am and what I have.
Got it?

That doesn't apply to every deaf CI children. Many parent made the correct choice and their children are happy. I understand your own choice for you/your children and worries, and like I said before, I don't care what choice you make or other parents make. It's up to the parent when the choice when they are infants. You still insist that it's wrong for parents to decide for their children. That's your whole argument throughout this. Out of the blue you changed that recently.

I'm sorry that you don't accept my opinion over comestic surgery and baby designer because it's truth.
I'm not only one say this. My interperter told me herself, also others, too. I has to agree with her and others that it's baby designer. It's my opinion.

Like I explained Cosmetics is for beautifying and making you look more normal or a certain way. CI is for replace hearing loss to help you hear similar to hearing people when hearing aids are not enough. I would laugh at you if you would call an insurance company and say. "hi, my child wants to have a cosmetic surgery for his ear so he can hear again." CI is a prosthetic device. It is to replace a missing part which is by all means normal hearing. The only way to give that is a prosthetic device surgically done. It's invasive because it requires surgery, but hearing aids can't do that. It's the only way for now. Call up an insurance company. Ask a doctor. You are misinformed. It's only an opinion because you want to be right. You're wrong. It's not cosmetics or baby design. CI as a cosmetic surgery is FALSE not the truth like you said. Look it up. Get more educated is all I have to say. I still find it funny you think it's cosmetics. Also, baby designer is altering eye colors, hair colors, boy or girl BEFORE they are born. That is far away when it comes to CI for children to help them in language development.

What parents are looking for when they implant their child is the opportunity for better language development not cosmetic for beautying them or "baby designer" which has nothing to do making choices for their appearance. Bottom line, we are meant to hear. We were born with open ears for that purpose, but unfortunate circumstances causes deafness, so we have a choice just like every other disorder out there. Be it blind, speech problems, and so on. Deafness is no different. If parents have the choice to decide early on when children are incapable of joining the process of decision to give them the best early on possible, then by all mean, do it.

How would you feel if I call your procedure of floppy ears a "baby design?" It's bound to gain no respect.

deafdyke,
Actually TieraPrincess, I recall that the stats say that only about 10% of people with hearing loss were born with it. Most lost their hearing,and of those who don't benifit from hearing aids, most have an advantage over born or early deafened (before one year) kids. Research has clearly shown that kids who LOST their hearing have an easier time in using the CI.

I know, that's why I asked Liebling her thoughts in this. She only talks about those who are deaf since 6 months old. I don't understand because not every child fall into that category. Then, she mention it's okay for people (?) to get CI after they become deaf right away. She only said 'people.' I am not sure what age because all she says is that it's a parent and child, but if they become deaf at 1 year old, then would you implant right away? If not, then by all means your support that it's great if 'people' could be implanted straight away is unclear and vague.

Last edited:
Please don't twist my word.

I said: every "people" what I mean is the child to adult's own choice, period.

Wear from 6 months old babies with HA first is the best, only if the test is 100% accurately.

What I stand my own opinion what I beleive is CHILD's and ADULT's alone choice, not parents.

Many parent made the correct choice
Nope, the parents often are mistake with their decisions, they made for their children.
I would like to give you more examples but I can't because it would end off topic here if I do because this thread what I create is belong only CI issue.

Please remember that I do not against CI.
I respect every's opinion here what they do with their children because it's not my children. What I do with my children is different than you or others.

I would suggest you to create a new thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back