Deaf children's parents must decide on surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Angel^ said:
Liebling only said she disagree with you, she did not say you don't have the right for your opinion...

I am sorry but this question wasn't for you.

Cheri said:
What I am saying is CI Is not Required. Having a child is a huge responsibility what does that have to do with having to require to get a CI?

I have no idea. You threw in having an abortion?? :topic:

You claim to have met many C.I. victims but we don't seem to see many of them jumping up and down here, only hearsay. Please get some of these "victims" to come online and explain there stories as I would like to hear more than hearsay.

cheri
What you do not know is that some CI implants do not believe a parent should force a baby or child to have a CI.

What does your answer have to do with wanting to hear true life stories from the "C.I" "victims".

If that makes me a bad mother in your eyes, I don't care for your opinion.

cheri
Nobody said you are a 'bad mother' stop playing a victim here.

I don't believe I am "playing a victim". I am exercising my right of free speech to answer negative comments made to me.

This is a free speech forum, isn't it????

You would not be deserving of being human if you did not do the very best you could for your children and it is your responsibilty to research the facts and make the best decision.

cheri
Now, You said we would not deserved to be human if we did not do research you trying to put your briefs on us, watch what you said or you are going to get it back.

See above.

It's is law that you are responsible for your children until they are sixteen or eighteen so any decision up until that age is the parents whether they discuss it or not at the end of the day it is the parents decision.

cheri
If children do not want a cochlear implant, So, the parents have the final authority to force them to do so?

Ask your friend Magastu. He brought up it is law. I just agreed with him.

LEIBLING:)
It´s an exactly!!!

I do not force my children anything like dentist, doctors etc but I do is have a patience and a good talk with my children to melt their scary feeling then agree to go.

I explained my children without forcing why the dentist or doctor etc are important for their healthy. They understand and agree to go dentist reguarly. My son got his first tooth being drill last summer with no complication.
I alway sit with my chlidren when the problems come and listen their problem and share with their concern and feeling etc.

I really have trouble believing all the perfect mother stories from everyone.

If you tell your son to go to bed and he says no, what do you do?

If your child throws a temper tantrum in a Pizza Hut restaurant what would you or your husband do????????????

Tamara said:

If your child throws a temper tantrum in a Pizza Hut restaurant what would you or your husband do????????????

:topic: then make a new thread over how to deal stubborn children.

None of us (parents) are prefect but learn to be patience with the children like what Angel´s post. Of course we (parents) do made our mistakes sometimes but we are improve to CORRECT our mistakes what we done with our children upbringing. It doesnt mean that we are bad parents when we made some mistakes but we CAN learn our mistakes.

Sure, you know that the children are no angel but we deal with our children with patience and limit instead of force. I am only answer Angel´s post about "forcing" because you brought the subject over "forcing" up, that´s all.

As you know nobody are prefect. :D

It would be :topic: if I describe how deal with stubborn children etc here over resturant, bedtime, etc. I would suggest you to create a new thread to ask us some of questions how to deal with temper children and how tell the children to go bed etc, then I will answer.

Last edited:
Tamara wrote:
I don't believe I am "playing a victim". I am exercising my right of free speech to answer negative comments made to me.

Are you prefect?
You show no respect on our opinion, dont you?
Are you an expert for answer our "negative" posts as what you just call it?

cheri

Quote:
If children do not want a cochlear implant, So, the parents have the final authority to force them to do so?

Tamara wrote

The law cant do anything to against it because the children has the right to say NO or YES against their parents´s wish. Remember it´s children protection accord law.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tamara

then make a new thread over how to deal stubborn children.

None of us (parents) are prefect but learn to be patience with the children like what Angel´s post. Of course we (parents) do made our mistakes sometimes but we are improve to CORRECT our mistakes what we done with our children upbringing. It doesnt mean that we are bad parents when we made some mistakes but we CAN learn our mistakes.

Sure, you know that the children are no angel but we deal with our children with patience and limit instead of force. I am only answer Angel´s post about "forcing" because you brought the subject over "forcing" up, that´s all.

As you know nobody are prefect.

It would be if I describe how deal with stubborn children etc here over resturant, bedtime, etc. I would suggest you to create a new thread to ask us some of questions how to deal with temper children and how tell the children to go bed etc, then I will answer

You constantly jump on me for stating my opinion, which is just that. MY OPINION. And then when I show you for what you are, you scream off topic.

Either answer the question, or don't criticize me. You may notice if you bothered to read my posts properly that I have already stated no one is perfect etc, etc,

Tamara said:
Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

If C.I. was available when I was young and my parents did not choose to help me, I would be very very pissed off. You enforce your beliefs and opinions on your children every day by trying to bring them up as morally and honest as you can. Just by talking with your children you are always trying to instil a sense of honour, well being, caring, loving, understanding, etc in your children.

You would not be human if you didn't. Everyone does what they believe is their very very best for their children. People do make mistakes but they will learn and constantly improve from this. As I said earlier you are legally responsible for your children so you must make some decisions for them. One of the greatest decisions is to bring a child into the world in the first place and it only gets tougher from there. Maybe you should consider waiting till the child is old enough and ask them if they want to be born!!!!!!

This could go around in circles but we have to respect everyones right to their own opinion.

Once again just to show you that I stated this prior to everyone jumping on me.

Everyone should do whats best for their children.

Tamara wrote:

leibling;-)
Are you prefect?
You show no respect on our opinion, dont you?
Are you an expert for answer our "negative" posts as what you just call it?

See post above.

cheri

Tamara wrote

leibling:)
The law cant do anything to against it because the children has the right to say NO or YES against their parents´s wish. Remember it´s children protection accord law.

You just can't help yourself can you. You have to argue everything I say. If you read it properly it was an answer to cheri and I said she should ask her friend Magastu as he brought it up. Also you better check on your child protection laws. If the parrents do things wrong, but it must be bad, yes they can do something about it.

Attacking other poeple and thier opioion isn't going to solve any plms all i think it would be best that we just stay on the CI thread and settle down IMO... thanks...

we can express our thoughts but u dont need to put down other poeple's thoughts and try and be more superior abt this this is an AGE OLD Debate that has gone on for years, we will never find the soultion to accept the CI situation....

I second that JavaPride....

I third that, Javapride.

Accord children protection law, the children has the right to say NO or YES against their parents´s wish. That´s what I mean is CI.

Last edited:
Leibling
I third that, Javapride.

Accord children protection law, the children has the right to say NO against their parents´s wish. That´s what I mean is CI!

Tamara, you bring off topic subjects.

See you pick on my name as usual

Last edited:
Looks like you're trying to cause trouble *sigh*....

Can we get back on this topic pleaseeeeeeeeeeee??? *on my knees*

Okay Liebling. Let me tell you what I find weird with your story you mention, and why I don't agree with you.

I beleive strongly that both parents and children make decision together. I dont think that from 7 years old are too late to have CI. I rather to wear my children with HA and go to speech therapy etc first.

How is 7 years old not too late? Have you done some research reading besides hearing from negative experienced friends why 2-3 years is a crucial stage and why 7 is past that age for the BEST benefit for a CI? It looks to me that you haven't researched one inch. I am really glad that at least Angel did some research. It opens up a new world of understanding. It broadens your decisions and reasons better. Trust me, it did to me. It's not to say, 'yes' to CI, but to help you for you and your own children. It helps to understand why parents choose earlier ages.

Let me tell you on this girl I talked to, Liebling. Not only do I hear if someone does not like their CI, but I ask deeper questions...such as how much of therapy they have had. I talked to a deaf girl that gave me mixed informations, and I found out that it's not that she doesn't like it because she wanted to wear it again after she became boyfriend with a boy who successfully love his implant since 2-3 years old. He went to a special school to help him out. She uses it to listen to music sometimes. The girl started at 6 years old with the implant. Stopped going to therapy and said that her friends were bullying her about having a CI. She gave me mixed feelings and signals, but it did look like she liked it from reading between the lines. She said her eyes vibrated because her teachers talked high pitched. This looked like a problem from not receiving enough CI adjustments. A CI adjustment can change that. She's old enough to point that out. Why does she still use it at home to listen to music and wanted to wear it again? Hmm..it looks like she needs a role model and support to separate those bullies in her deaf schools. Some deaf schools have poor CI programs.

My point is, I like to see the pattern why they don't like it. Why it doesn't work. I know that there are some young adults who did not take therapy seriously. I also want to tell you that when I was around middle school, I didn't want to take therapy most of the time. Now, I see the benefit that I am older. There was another girl who didn't want to. I was trying to be cool. I wish that I had more serious therapy and made to do the work. It is truly beneficial. There was always time for play in the neighborhood. Therapy isn't 5 hours straight drilling of work until you go to sleep.

You also missed that I said that deaf children are given hearing aids trials. Angel did the research. That's why I am telling you that it's best that you research online/articles to be more informed and why parents go that route.

My friend wear HA all her life since she was 6 months old. She speak like HOH and can PHONE. I suggest her about CI but she is happy with HA. I would of get CI when I were her but I respect her choice.

That's right. She started at 6 MONTHS OLD. That's WAY before 7 years old. That's why she's doing so well, but remember not every deaf person is able to speak on the phone. That varies with hearing loss severity. Someone with my hearing loss with HA might not hear as well as I do or vice versa. No one has the same hearing loss. I am not sure what your point is. She started at 6 MONTHS OLD. It's so obvious why she is doing so well because she started early and her hearing loss is good for using the phone. Miss Heather Whitestone was the same way as your friend. She can hear on the phone on her good ear and got implant on the other unused ear to help her hear her children. It's okay. Adults change. Maybe it was pride that she was doing so well regardless...until reality hit that she can't hear her children. Who knows?

Yes, I still beleive that CI is the best development for hear and speech than HA since I collect the information from CI users but I still beleive to sit together with my children to support their choice over pros and cons.

Well, but a lot parents want to choose the 2-3 best years so that they can maximize their hearing potential. Seven years old is taking a fraction of those 2-3 important years.

No problem, I like your post but I beleive to support my children´s wish because surgery is too "risk".

Every surgery has many risks. Parents want to give potential children the option to have the best of a CI. That's why it's being approved for 12 months old. Studies show, the earlier implanted, the best benefit you get. There's a reason. Studies are comparing children and adults. They make notes and studies what can be done to improve for those who don't benefit. They are continually changing. That's how they learn. Life isn't fair. We can't test on pigs because they don't talk. We can't test on monkeys because they don't talk.

javapride and anyone,

I like the option of having a CI. It's just like any surgery. Any disability. Anything. Many blind people want a cure for their eyesights. Many do so for their hearing as well. My God, it's a sense we have. It's not to be left untouched. It's anyone's choice. I can't tell anyone they shouldn't have surgery to make them walk because God made them that way. That's weird! Maybe we should tell blind people to accept their blindness or that heart failing patients are about to die because God made made them to die and not use pacemakers. Or that they can't get a liver transplant because God made them sick and about to die. There are some cures for them, but not everyone. Why should deafness be a single disorder not to have a better treatment? I don't get that, "oh god made you deaf." What about "God gave you the option of a CI?" That's right, you don't know when it is God that talks to each and everyone of us or the parents, but I know there are parents been given that choice by the grace of God. Are we ever going to understand his reasons? I don't believe so. Tell me, why should deafness be left untreated?

Last edited:
TiaraPrincess said:
Okay Liebling. Let me tell you what I find weird with your story you mention, and why I don't agree with you.

Liebling:)))
What you disagree with me is no problem but don't even call werid. thank you.

How is 7 years old not too late? Have you done some research reading besides hearing from negative experienced friends why 2-3 years is a crucial stage and why 7 is past that age for the BEST benefit for a CI? It looks to me that you haven't researched one inch. I am really glad that at least Angel did some research. It opens up a new world of understanding. It broadens your decisions and reasons better. Trust me, it did to me. It's not to say, 'yes' to CI, but to help you for you and your own children. It helps to understand why parents choose earlier ages.

Yes, I have but I notice that the studies in the websites have the different opinions over CI issue etc. (cons/pros). That's why I rather to listen CI users's side and let them tell me how they feel like what I collect from them here or other forums or my friends. I recieve good and bad advantages from them.

It's my decision is want to sit with my child together if he or she want to have CI or not.
Wear my baby with HA under 1 year old, I would say 6 months old first then CI.

Of course, I said that it's not too late for 7 yrs old. Why? Because I would wear my 6 MONTHS old baby with HA until he or she familiar it then.........

Let me tell you on this girl I talked to, Liebling. Not only do I hear if someone does not like their CI, but I ask deeper questions...such as how much of therapy they have had. I talked to a deaf girl that gave me mixed informations, and I found out that it's not that she doesn't like it because she wanted to wear it again after she became boyfriend with a boy who successfully love his implant since 2-3 years old. He went to a special school to help him out. She uses it to listen to music sometimes. The girl started at 6 years old with the implant. Stopped going to therapy and said that her friends were bullying her about having a CI. She gave me mixed feelings and signals, but it did look like she liked it from reading between the lines. She said her eyes vibrated because her teachers talked high pitched. This looked like a problem from not receiving enough CI adjustments. A CI adjustment can change that. She's old enough to point that out. Why does she still use it at home to listen to music and wanted to wear it again? Hmm..it looks like she needs a role model and support to separate those bullies in her deaf schools. Some deaf schools have poor CI programs.

My point is, I like to see the pattern why they don't like it. Why it doesn't work. I know that there are some young adults who did not take therapy seriously. I also want to tell you that when I was around middle school, I didn't want to take therapy most of the time. Now, I see the benefit that I am older. There was another girl who didn't want to. I was trying to be cool. I wish that I had more serious therapy and made to do the work. It is truly beneficial. There was always time for play in the neighborhood. Therapy isn't 5 hours straight drilling of work until you go to sleep.

You also missed that I said that deaf children are given hearing aids trials. Angel did the research. That's why I am telling you that it's best that you research online/articles to be more informed and why parents go that route.

I saw many CI children here in Germany. I talked their hearing and deaf parents. I receive cons/pros from them.

That's right. She started at 6 MONTHS OLD. That's WAY before 7 years old. That's why she's doing so well, but remember not every deaf person is able to speak on the phone. That varies with hearing loss severity. Someone with my hearing loss with HA might not hear as well as I do or vice versa. No one has the same hearing loss. I am not sure what your point is. She started at 6 MONTHS OLD. It's so obvious why she is doing so well because she started early and her hearing loss is good for using the phone. Miss Heather Whitestone was the same way as your friend. She can hear on the phone on her good ear and got implant on the other unused ear to help her hear her children. It's okay. Adults change. Maybe it was pride that she was doing so well regardless...until reality hit that she can't hear her children. Who knows?

I would do the same as my friend because I find it's wonderful of her parents to wear her with HA when she was 6 months old. I would do the same when my child is deaf. I would suggest my child with CI when he or she is 7 years old. I let my child to mix with deaf and CI culture.
Yes, I heard about Heather Whitestone. I find wonderful of her parents do with her is HA first then CI later. I would do the same when I has a deaf child.
I suggest my friend about CI but she's happy with HA. I respect her decision. I would of get CI when I'm in her shoe.

Well, but a lot parents want to choose the 2-3 best years so that they can maximize their hearing potential. Seven years old is taking a fraction of those 2-3 important years.

It's up to the parents. I respect their decision if they want to implant their babies to toddler.
I notice alot of hearing parents implant babies to toddler, then some of them are regretted afterward in Germany. Alot of deaf parents's children speak well and goes to speech therapy because of preparation for CI in the future. They support their children's wish if they want to have CI.
The teachers are agree that deaf children should wear HA first then later CI. Best is wear the babies from 6 MONTHS old.

Every surgery has many risks. Parents want to give potential children the option to have the best of a CI. That's why it's being approved for 12 months old. Studies show, the earlier implanted, the best benefit you get. There's a reason. Studies are comparing children and adults. They make notes and studies what can be done to improve for those who don't benefit. They are continually changing. That's how they learn. Life isn't fair. We can't test on pigs because they don't talk. We can't test on monkeys because they don't talk.

I do not accept the risks on babies to toddler because CI is not belong to kind of "saving life surgery".
It would be different story if my children got tumor or heart diease etc is belong to kind of saving life surgery but CI? Why should I accept the risk to implant baby to toddler because I want them hear? What is the wrong to wear HA then go to speech therapy until they familiar with speech, etc. then...........

javapride and anyone,

I like the option of having a CI. It's just like any surgery. Any disability. Anything. Many blind people want a cure for their eyesights. Many do so for their hearing as well. My God, it's a sense we have. It's not to be left untouched. It's anyone's choice. I can't tell anyone they shouldn't have surgery to make them walk because God made them that way. That's weird! Maybe we should tell blind people to accept their blindness or that heart failing patients are about to die because God made made them to die and not use pacemakers. Or that they can't get a liver transplant because God made them sick and about to die. There are some cures for them, but not everyone. Why should deafness be a single disorder not to have a better treatment? I don't get that, "oh god made you deaf." What about "God gave you the option of a CI?" That's right, you don't know when it is God that talks to each and everyone of us or the parents, but I know there are parents been given that choice by the grace of God. Are we ever going to understand his reasons? I don't believe so. Tell me, why should deafness be left untreated?

I say again:

It's up to parents either they want implant their children or not.
It's up to parents either they support their children's choice or not.

CI is not belong to "saving life" surgery but comestic surgery.

Last edited:
Never mind. This is a double post I changed something right when I clicked submit.

Last edited:
Liebling:-))) said:
I say again:

It's up to parents either they want implant their children or not.
It's up to parents either they support their children's choice or not.

CI is not belong to "saving life" surgery but comestic surgery.

COSMETIC SURGERY???!!! This is a PROSTHETIC surgery. Do parents want their children to get their ears to look pretty? I don't know what you mean....... :dunno: I already said before it's a PROSTHETIC device. CI don't make people look prettier. It's a tool to help people hear better. There's no beauty there involved.

What you disagree with me is no problem but don't even call werid. thank you.

I am sorry Liebling, but I find your reasons strange. It doesn't match my reasons, so I find it strange. I don't know why you're offended. Maybe you confused it with calling you weird or something.

Yes, I have but I notice that the studies in the websites have the different opinions over CI issue etc. (cons/pros). That's why I rather to listen CI users's side and let them tell me how they feel like what I collect from them here or other forums or my friends. I recieve good and bad advantages from them.

It's my decision is want to sit with my child together if he or she want to have CI or not.
Wear my baby with HA under 1 year old, I would say 6 months old first then CI.

Of course, I said that it's not too late for 7 yrs old. Why? Because I would wear my 6 MONTHS old baby with HA until he or she familiar it then.........

Okay, you're saying as if all deaf babies are born deaf. I wasn't born deaf. Some are not born deaf and if implanted sooner, they can have a better adjustment because they have had hearing. The shorter you have been deaf, the better you'll do with a CI. I don't care if what you choose for your children or yourself. I disagree with your reasons why it's wrong to implant deaf children or why it's not okay to wait. You never said that it's up to parents make the decision to implant their deaf child. You suddenly seem okay with that.

I saw many CI children here in Germany. I talked their hearing and deaf parents. I receive cons/pros from them.

That's great. Online, you will reach more people who are happy with them and become more informed in other areas. You said CI is cosmetics and that implanting at 7 years is not too late. Wrong information. I advice to those who have no clue or give misinformation to do their research and how common or how often do they happen. CI patients sometimes do not know these informations to that extent. I would be worried if you told people that it's a cosmetic surgery or that 7 years is not too late for maximum language development. I'd also be worried with Magatsu who said CI can cause rejection by the body instead of MIGRATION. You see? It's important to know that if you think you can inform a parent with the correct information.

I would do the same as my friend because I find it's wonderful of her parents to wear her with HA when she was 6 months old. I would do the same when my child is deaf. I would suggest my child with CI when he or she is 7 years old. I let my child to mix with deaf and CI culture.
Yes, I heard about Heather Whitestone. I find wonderful of her parents do with her is HA first then CI later. I would do the same when I has a deaf child.
I suggest my friend about CI but she's happy with HA. I respect her decision. I would of get CI when I'm in her shoe.

Not every child is deaf at 6 months old. The first few years tell you how good and bad you are responding to hearing aids. They give those trials before children have a CI. It's the same thing. If they receive NO benefit? What's the response to that? Heather would not have qualified for a CI back then. We don't know what the mother's choice would have been. CI in children was approved in 1990 and only for those who received zero benefits from HA's. CI for those who received little benefit was approved years later around 1995, 1996 or 1997. Neither would I have been qualified, but I can tell how much more I could have benefitted based one what I have now. That's why it's good to research every side of this to make a good argument aside from what you would do if it were your own child.

I do not accept the risks on babies to toddler because CI is not belong to kind of "saving life surgery".
It would be different story if my children got tumor or heart diease etc is belong to kind of saving life surgery but CI? Why should I accept the risk to implant baby to toddler because I want them hear? What is the wrong to wear HA then go to speech therapy until they familiar with speech, etc. then...........

No, it's an option to best give you another world of hearing language, developing speech easier and better, possibly hearing communication on the phone for professions. It's giving children much more choices.

What is wrong with trying HA for other parents beside your children? Some don't benefit from HA at all from observing their response to therapies.

Being blind and trying to have surgery to help isn't a life saving surgery either, but there are choices to give you more. What's wrong with that and being able to see? I am not mocking, but your child's ears isn't a life saving surgery either. What's wrong with giving your child cosmetic surgery? It's not a life saving surgery. So he wouldn't be bullied? Some grow out of those ears and not everyone is bullied. Some are bullied from hearing aids and some are not. My question is, what is wrong with letting your child try out to see if he would grow up being bullied or not? Why didn't you think of that before discussing it with your child?

See, we'll get nowhere. I don't care what parent choice is, but we have our own reasons, and there's nothing wrong with parents choosing a CI for their child. Not every child will end up with depression. A child at 7 years old has an equal chance of the CI not working for them if it were chosen at 2-3 years old by their parent. We will not know if it would have been better had they been implanted at 2-3 years old. You (by you, I mean anyone, not you specifically) are taking an equal risk here for not giving them 2-3 years to maximize their use. The only difference in this is that the child at 7 or so can help make a decision if they want it or not. It doesn't change the fact of how they'll be successful or not. It will not prevent their psychological depression. There have been older adults make that decision ending up like that. The only thing left is that it wasn't YOUR choice, but your child so you have take any blame in their disappointment.

Last edited:
TiaraPrincess said:
COSMETIC SURGERY???!!! This is a PROSTHETIC surgery. Do parents want their children to get their ears to look pretty? I don't know what you mean....... :dunno: I already said before it's a PROSTHETIC device. CI don't make people look prettier. It's a tool to help people hear better. There's no beauty there involved.

Prosthetic surgery? I never heard about this. I only know there're 3 different surgeries is "Comestic", "saving risk life" and "Lasik".
No, it's comestic surgery. Prosthetic is almost similar as HA. comestic surgery means is improve their part of bodies. Of course, CI is one of them to improve their bodies is "baby designer"
I would call CI as comestic surgery as "baby designer" because the parents want their babies to be hearing like them.

I am sorry Liebling, but I find your reasons strange. It doesn't match my reasons, so I find it strange. I don't know why you're offended. Maybe you confused it with calling you weird or something.

You said that you find my post is werid. Well, you has different sides than mine.

Okay, you're saying as if all deaf babies are born deaf. I wasn't born deaf. Some are not born deaf and if implanted sooner, they can have a better adjustment because they have had hearing. The shorter you have been deaf, the better you'll do with a CI. I don't care if what you choose for your children or yourself. I disagree with your reasons why it's wrong to implant deaf children or why it's not okay to wait. You never said that it's up to parents make the decision to implant their deaf child. You suddenly seem okay with that.

I must repeat:
I already said in my earlier posts that it's my own opinion and do not against parents's choice but disagree with them in respectful way.
I respect anyone's choice what they want with their children but for me NO.
It's up to parents either they do what they want with their children because it's their children, not mine.
I respect anyone's choice what they want to let their children's choice. I'm one of them.

Got it?

That's great. Online, you will reach more people who are happy with them and become more informed in other areas. You said CI is cosmetics and that implanting at 7 years is not too late. Wrong information. I advice to those who have no clue or give misinformation to do their research and how common or how often do they happen. CI patients sometimes do not know these informations to that extent. I would be worried if you told people that it's a cosmetic surgery or that 7 years is not too late for maximum language development. I'd also be worried with Magatsu who said CI can cause rejection by the body instead of MIGRATION. You see? It's important to know that if you think you can inform a parent with the correct information.

I never influence everyone's decision but respect their decision and share their converstion with me. I would give them honestly answer if they ask me for my opinion. It's up them if they are agree with me or not. It's up to me either I'm agree with their opinion or not. I do not push them to agree with me.
Alot of Germans think the same as me. You will be surprised when you see it in the German forums.
I know from websites or CI users that CI is best development for babies to toddler but I'm still against it because it's scary to accept the risk on tiny babies to toddler's head. Surgery on babies to toddler with CI is out of question. I rather to wear HA on my babies with risk free.

Not every child is deaf at 6 months old. The first few years tell you how good and bad you are responding to hearing aids. They give those trials before children have a CI. It's the same thing. If they receive NO benefit? What's the response to that? Heather would not have qualified for a CI back then. We don't know what the mother's choice would have been. CI in children was approved in 1990 and only for those who received zero benefits from HA's. CI for those who received little benefit was approved years later around 1995, 1996 or 1997. Neither would I have been qualified, but I can tell how much more I could have benefitted based one what I have now. That's why it's good to research every side of this to make a good argument aside from what you would do if it were your own child.

Of course I research every side. I told you on my earlier posts that I receive pros/cons from CI users and of course websites but I noticed that every studies in websites are against each other over pros/cons between HA and CI issue. I rather to see every sides until I receive their sides until I decide myself what good or bad. I had the feeling that CI is better than HA what I told you in my previous posts.
I do not accept to implant babies to toddlers's head.

No, it's an option to best give you another world of hearing language, developing speech easier and better, possibly hearing communication on the phone for professions. It's giving children much more choices.

What is wrong with trying HA for other parents beside your children? Some don't benefit from HA at all from observing their response to therapies.

Being blind and trying to have surgery to help isn't a life saving surgery either, but there are choices to give you more. What's wrong with that and being able to see? I am not mocking, but your child's ears isn't a life saving surgery either. What's wrong with giving your child cosmetic surgery? It's not a life saving surgery. So he wouldn't be bullied? Some grow out of those ears and not everyone is bullied. Some are bullied from hearing aids and some are not. My question is, what is wrong with letting your child try out to see if he would grow up being bullied or not? Why didn't you think of that before discussing it with your child?

Of course it's not life saving surgery like what I told you about my son's floppy ear in my earlier post. If he don't want it then he have my support. If he want it then he have my support. The doctor told me to leave him alone then he will come to me for my support if he want his ears to be correct. It's me because I beleive is respect. The communication is an important KEY to share the respect with my children. He's happy with it is fine with me. I as mother know what I am doing with my children. I already explain him the reason why I want his ears to be correct. He said NO. I told him that I'll be happy to support him if he change his mind one day. I'm accept what he is. I would not force him to change and correct his ear. I would call it "baby designer" if I want to change his bodies prefect like what I say about CI. I would call CI as "comestic" surgery as "baby designer" because the parents want their babies to hear but they don't want to admit that CI could NEVER cure their deafness.

BLIND: - They CAN cure their eyes to see again. They are not blind anymore but CI is different because CI CAN't cure to be hearing again like blind because they are still deaf when they switch CI off but blind doesn't.

See, we'll get nowhere. I don't care what parent choice is, but we have our own reasons, and there's nothing wrong with parents choosing a CI for their child. Not every child will end up with depression. A child at 7 years old has an equal chance of the CI not working for them if it were chosen at 2-3 years old by their parent. We will not know if it would have been better had they been implanted at 2-3 years old. You (by you, I mean anyone, not you specifically) are taking an equal risk here for not giving them 2-3 years to maximize their use. The only difference in this is that the child at 7 or so can help make a decision if they want it or not. It doesn't change the fact of how they'll be successful or not. It will not prevent their psychological depression. There have been older adults make that decision ending up like that. The only thing left is that it wasn't YOUR choice, but your child so you have take any blame in their disappointment.

The children would not end up with depression or what if the parents educate their children in positive way.
I would end unhappy and depression if my parents didnt' give me positive life that's why I thank my parent for that.
I think it's nothing wrong to wear babies with HA when they are 6 months old until they familiar with HA and speech therapy etc. They can have CI later.
Example:
It would be greater to have CI straight way when the people lost their hearing to deafness.
It would be greater when the children are WILLING to learn speech or anything.
My Interperter for the deaf told me that she reseach cons/pros about her deaf son and visit CI children in the school. It put her off totally when she saw 3 of 25 CI children can speak and hear well. She is glad to not listen doctor's advise and reseach to find out what pros/cons so she decide to not implant her son. Her son is big now and thank her mother for not see him as "baby designer".
The professor in Stuggart did not implant his 11 years old son because he beleive it's up to him. He said this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back