Deaf children and hearing parents...why don't the parents learn sl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
..... yes, I showed a town in the middle of Alaska, asking you if you felt there would be Deaf Culture there....
Staying silent on your part showed that there was none... and how can there be.
One deaf person in a remote town is not Deaf Culture....

But please tell me, how the deaf person in a remote town in Alaska is going to experience deaf culture....
Internet?

Here's a clue. That one deaf person in a remote town goes away to school and experiences Deaf Culture educationally and socially as a result. That one Deaf person returns to the remote town on breaks to visit family and friends and exposes them to Deaf Culture. Deaf Culture is spread through contact. If you would like some good anthropology texts on culture contact and change, I can refer you to some excellent books.

Accusing me of lying?
Before you do that, explain how one deaf person in a remote town is Deaf Culture..

Done, and done. And no one has accused you of lying. It is being said that you are spreading misconceptions. Misconceptions are not necessarily dishonest, but incorrect based on ignorance of the facts.

Of course you won't find deaf culture on the most isolated places, so that question was too silly to reply for me, but you claimed there is no deaf culture in Alaska when you made this rethorical question. It's too obvious how you make up stuff to back up your arguments here. Cloggy, we perhaps know you better than you think?

"Tell me... is there Deaf culture in Alaska?"

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/41551-we-need-change-3.html#post779601

There is a village in Bali, Indonesia that is quite remote, but is a mecca for Deaf Culture. Likewise a village in Mexico.

Thank you for showing us the forum on "We need to change". Cloggy was there and have a lot of misinformation and a lot of assumption on the Deaf Culture and Deaf Communities all over the world. He just never understand our situation as a Deaf person and is trying to push us into CI to gain into the hearing world. Cloggy is the master of the "Borg" is what all audists were so stubborn and refuse to believe that Deaf people or Hard of Hearing people will always be struggling trying to understand with their hearing loss whether from birth or late deafen. The only solution is to ignore his remarks about CI and the misinformation about our Deafness, Deaf Culture and Deaf Communities and most of all to refuse to accept deafness from his daughter. The thing is that I don't understand why he is soooooo stubborn about it all. Do we have to keep fighting with him all the time everytime he talks about the CI a lot. :mad:

Cloggy is one big contradiction in terms. He claims his daughter is hearing and has no need of either deaf culture or sign language, yet he hangs out on a deaf message board. Something tells me he is trying harder to convince himsself of his claims that anyone else.

Here's a clue. That one deaf person in a remote town goes away to school and experiences Deaf Culture educationally and socially as a result. ........
So - you mean.... they have to go somewhere else to find Deaf Culture.....
Like I said.... Deaf Culture is not everywhere.....

Sure, Alaska has Deaf Culture .... just not everywhere.!

No cloggy, that is not what I said. And that is not what you said, either. I said Deaf Culture is available world wide, and you replied, "Nonsense." If you have a deaf neighbor, Deaf Culture is available to you. You don;t have to live in the middle of a deaf community to find it. You only have to be willing to look for it. Which you obviously aren't.

The majority of doctors not only know zip about deaf culture, but they also know only that deafness means an inability to hear. Their knowledge of the psychosocial and educational implications is nada.
Your comment ...
"deafness means an inability to hear." is incorrect..

Cochlear implants.. Sounds like a good idea

As many as 120,000 people are now thought to have had their hearing restored by these revolutionary devices, which turn sound waves into electrical signals that stimulate the auditory nerves in the ear via an implanted electrode, and are perceived as sound.

Your comment ...
"deafness means an inability to hear." is incorrect..

Cochlear implants.. Sounds like a good idea

Then what is deafness, cloggy? From the medical standpoint, deafness is a malfuction of the auditory system that results in an inability to perceive sounds of various frequencies and dB levels. A CI does not make one "not deaf". It is a medical devise that mediates the effects of the lack of auditory function. Take it off, and one is still as deaf, or even more deaf, in many cases, than prior to CI. An amputee can use a prothesis, as well. They are still an amputee.

No cloggy, that is not what I said. And that is not what you said, either. I said Deaf Culture is available world wide, and you replied, "Nonsense." If you have a deaf neighbor, Deaf Culture is available to you. You don;t have to live in the middle of a deaf community to find it. You only have to be willing to look for it. Which you obviously aren't.
:cool2:
So it's not everywhere... you have to go and look for it... Relocate, pick up the family and move. Leave friends behind.... Leave family behind.... :cool:
So easy - in theory...

So it's not everywhere... you have to go and look for it... Relocate, pick up the family and move. Leave friends behind.... Leave family behind.... :cool:
So easy - in theory...

No, Cloggy. You don't have to pick up, relocate, move. You only have to be willing to make an effeort. Of course, relocating is always an option. Is that too much to do for your child? You have to begin, however, by taking your head out of the sand.
Until you are willing to do that, you will not see what is right in front of you. You are just falling back on more of the excuses that hearing parents use. Thanks for offering some answers to the OP's question.

BTW the very first "expert" we met grabbed my wife seconds after coming out of the booth where the tests confirmed what we already knew and told her not to listen to anyone who tells us that she can learn to hear and to speak for she never will.

Thankfully we never listened to that moron but I guess he's ok in your book because he was anti-oral.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion telling someone "I guess he's ok in your book because he was anti-oral" is making a huge generalized statement by assuming that just because some idiot said that that all anti-oral people would agree with him.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion telling someone "I guess he's ok in your book because he was anti-oral" is making a huge generalized statement by assuming that just because some idiot said that that all anti-oral people would agree with him.

Likewise, calling people "anti-oral" is ridicuals. There is no on on this forum that is "anti-oral" and all have admitted that oral skills are valuable tothe deaf and should be pursued to the extent that the deaf indiviudal is capable of mastering them. We have only said that sign should be included as a communication mode and teaching methodology. Being opposed to an oral only environment, and being anti-oral are two very different things. The oral only supporters fail to recognize that.

So easy - in theory...

I feel like I've said this so many times...
When you hav a child life isn't about you anymore, its about what is best for your child and family in general. That doesn't just include deafness, it includes families with children who have disabilities (mental retardation, down's syndrome, autism...). Many of these families will relocate to a better area because there are more services, better schools, etc.
I'm certainly not comparing being deaf to these more severe disabilities but it can still be beneficial to the child to move. In most cases, families don't need to move huge distances so they will still be relatively close to friends and family in their old town. And heaven forbid the parents should have to find a new job in that area.

Now I understand that moving is not an option for everyone because of cost and other factors, and is not necessary for many. But I do think that if it would be best for your child and if it is at all possible, it should be considered.

Likewise, calling people "anti-oral" is ridicuals. There is no on on this forum that is "anti-oral" and all have admitted that oral skills are valuable tothe deaf and should be pursued to the extent that the deaf indiviudal is capable of mastering them. We have only said that sign should be included as a communication mode and teaching methodology. Being opposed to an oral only environment, and being anti-oral are two very different things. The oral only supporters fail to recognize that.

:gpost::gpost::gpost: Exactly!

"No one is ad deaf as the man who will not listen."

Sure, Alaska has Deaf Culture .... just not everywhere.!

Cloggy - Not all deaf/hoh people want or need to be part of Deaf Culture/Community. For example: I have a deaf neighbour, he has a CI, he is employed for the forestry industry. He is fluent in the English language as well as French. There is a population of approximately 600 Deaf adults, in arms reach, immersed in Deaf culture through their community. He chooses not to be part of this group.

Does he subscribe to the popular text book version of Deaf culture, no. Suggesting that in his home is deaf culture, well imo, that is really stretching it.

:)

Cloggy - Not all deaf/hoh people want or need to be part of Deaf Culture/Community. For example: I have a deaf neighbour, he has a CI, he is employed for the forestry industry. He is fluent in the English language as well as French. There is a population of approximately 600 Deaf adults, in arms reach, immersed in Deaf culture through their community. He chooses not to be part of this group.

Does he subscribe to the popular text book version of Deaf culture, no. Suggesting that in his home is deaf culture, well imo, that is really stretching it.

:)

Again, you are stretching it by using one example to generalize to a population. And you are also talking about an adult, no doubt a post lingual, who is able to make decisions for himself. Totally irrelevent to the topic of deaf children.

Please stop attempting to divert the topic with these irrelevent examples.

So easy - in theory...

Side note: I know, I have been absent for a long while, but I am still alive.

on topic: Cloggy, I live in a town that is 20,000 people small, and am able to tell you where in that town a good half of the Deaf community is and keep track of Deaf culture, and all that from one hour of actually ASKING around. There are plenty of ways to find out, whether through local RID/NAD branches, church Deaf ministries (and I don't mean the ones that make up the signs. I am talking about those who are either certified interpreters or interns going to college in preparation to certify), sometimes Starbucks and Books-a-million host Deaf events.

Do you just not want to try? or do you live in Dyess, Arkansas (population: 60) and have no access to the outside world. From the pictures in your daughter/your blog, you live in suburbia somewhere. Most Anywhere that is big enough to have suburbs has a Deaf community, as far as I have seen (emphasis on the MOST, making it not an absolute statement).

Seek and you shall find. It isn't like they are going to see that you are hearing and summarily ostracize you. So you run the risk of getting told no, but you won't know until you try.

PS: If your language limits your world, what does that mean about you? Are you limiting yourself to the hearing world or will you learn sign language and expand your horizons?

My PS was meant to try and make a course correction back to the original topic. Make a niote of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back