Deaf Awareness

Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't spend all that money if I didn't think it was necessary for a full, productive life.

I want to hear so I've spent the money on HAs and assistive listening devices. However, I don't think I'd feel I didn't have a full, productive life if I couldn't benefit from the technology.

No one has surgery on a whim or thinking it's desirable but not necessary.
Plastic surgery, breast enlarement, tummy tuck, come to mind.

Audsim is not welcome in AD.

Talking about dB levels is what Grendal is referring to. Not about how hearing is being better than being deaf or in other words.

"Thank God, I am hard of hearing, not completely deaf."

That is a whole different attitude than just discussing experiences with certain dB levels.

showing superiority over another group based on sex, gender, race, and hearing loss should not be accepted here on AD.

And that one was Grendel's. Thanks Kokonut.:roll:

I didn't write that :) you can each just go back and fix your own posts, I just added a missing bracket and all was well in mine.

Talking about dB levels is what Grendal is referring to. Not about how hearing is being better than being deaf or in other words.

That is a whole different attitude than just discussing experiences with certain dB levels.

showing superiority over another group based on sex, gender, race, and hearing loss should not be accepted here on AD.

And we have seen the bolded explicity stated. I wonder who that was?:hmm:

I want to hear so I've spent the money on HAs and assistive listening devices. However, I don't think I'd feel I didn't have a full, productive life if I couldn't benefit from the technology.

Absolutely. It's what you can benefit out of it that helps you. Spending a few thousand dollars on a hearing aid is worth every penny of it for me. It certainly does add that extra dimension to my productive life and at the same time provide me that productive life.

It's what you make of it.

Folks, if anyone is still confused about how a deaf person can be an audist, just stick around. You will get a demonstration.

It's very confusing because of the "ignore" feature. ;)

:D
Folks, if anyone is still confused about how a deaf person can be an audist, just stick around. You will get a demonstration.

:bowlol:

Sorry folks, but that made me laugh because if history way back about two years ago.

dont mind me, newcomers.

Nothing wrong for people to cherish what hearing they have left. That's exactly what that thread was about.

Plastic surgery, breast enlarement, tummy tuck, come to mind.

Knee / hip replacement, cataract surgery: not necessary for a full productive life, but some do it for various reasons.

:D

:bowlol:

Sorry folks, but that made me laugh because if history way back about two years ago.

dont mind me, newcomers.

Yeah, pretty good timing since we were discussing audist deaf people, huh?

Most people who have knee replacements are motivated by chronic pain. Having surgery to get rid of chronic pain is a legitimate medical need.

Back