Dangerous lack of mental health care

Majority tend to forget.

Mental health care is like getting physical health care.

Money spent on it does not go to an individual. It is spread out to the facility, medication and people that cares for the paitent

Have anyone ever had a single bill from a facility??

You have a bill from each service that was provided. Even get some for the ten dollar Tylenol! That was given.

Itemized your hospital or Doctor bills.

Amazing how many people do get paid, and not one individual care taker.

Very true, BB. The agency bill actually covers a very small amount for paying the provider. The vast majority covers overhead expenses.
And thanks to insurance companies, that overhead is tremendous! I can do a diagnostic assessment in approximately an hour and a half. Then I spend about 3 hours completing the paperwork required to get reimbursement from insurance companies. Twice as much time for paperwork than for diagnosing. Something is wrong here.

Please re-read my post regarding those who treat mental illness and those who prescribe. And keep in mind that you cannot rely on salary figures alone. The cost of running a practice is tremendous, and seriously reduced the amount of take home in those gross numbers. Might want to figure in the cost of education that the majority of practitioners pay on until they retire.

Ok......
That is where you made your mistake. Psychiatrists do not treat the majority of people with mental illness. Clinical psychologist, counseling psychologists, and counselor educators or independent social workers do the majority of treatment. Psychiatrist simply prescribe meds when warranted, and generally oversee psychiatric units in hospitals.

No argument. Just curious since you said he made a mistake. You say they don't treat the majority of people with mental illness, they still treat some.....correct or no? Personally the figures given do not fit my definition as rich so you are still right based on that. And malpractice insurance is a major expense so those figures are not close to rich in my book.

I would be shocked though if there were not a few out there that made considerably more.

Ok......

No argument. Just curious since you said he made a mistake. You say they don't treat the majority of people with mental illness, they still treat some.....correct or no? Personally the figures given do not fit my definition as rich so you are still right based on that. And malpractice insurance is a major expense so those figures are not close to rich in my book.

I would be shocked though if there were not a few out there that made considerably more.

Actually, psychiatrists treat very few. But some, of course. More often they are a referral for medication, or a director of a psych unit that has contact with the client only while they are in patient (usually a stay of 3-5 days for stabilization). And the vast majority of mental health clients do not need meds, or do not have a disorder for which meds are useful. Even the psychiatrists that work for an agency don't do diagnosis and treatment. For instance, the psychiatrists at the agency where I work only take referrals from the treating clinician, and then they evaluate and prescribe meds when appropriate, and refer back to the clinician to treat. While the clinician will see the client every 2 weeks to once a month, the psychiatrist will see them about once every six months to a year, just to check on the effectiveness of their meds.

And, yep, I agree! Can't practice without liability insurance (malpractice ins), and the cost is astronomical!

Yeah, chances are there are a few that make considerably more. There are those that only treat the rich and affluent. There are those like Dr. Phil that use the profession for personal fame. But the vast majority are just average middle class practitioners that love what they do and are in it for that reason and not for the money.

Psychiatrists are MDs. They have graduated from medical school. What a psychiatrist earns may seem like a lot to you, but it's nothing compared to what a surgeon earns. Being a shrink is a very stressful job. They have to worry about their patients doing themselves in. That's not a responsibility that I would want.

You must be on something to think that is funny.

Pharmaceutical companies are certainly getting rich.

Aren't schools supposed to be "drug free zones"?

that's the joke right there.

High on life, my friend, high on life!:lol:

Pharmaceutical companies manufacture and sell much much more than psychotropics. Psychotropics are a drop in the bucket compared to antibiotics and allergy meds.

Of which school are you speaking? I am not at school.

And yes, I find it hysterical that anyone would think practitioners in the mental health field are getting rich.

Psychiatrists are MDs. They have graduated from medical school. What a psychiatrist earns may seem like a lot to you, but it's nothing compared to what a surgeon earns. Being a shrink is a very stressful job. They have to worry about their patients doing themselves in. That's not a responsibility that I would want.

I don't even think most surgeons make alot.

And with my business I had the stress that one of my employees might die....or me....or one of my customers, if a mistake was made. And surgeons have the stress that they may kill someone as well......But at least theirs are asleep:lol: (sorry)

But I agree......I wouldn't want to be a "shrink" either.

I don't even think most surgeons make alot.

And with my business I had the stress that one of my employees might die....or me....or one of my customers, if a mistake was made. And surgeons have the stress that they may kill someone as well......But at least theirs are asleep:lol:

But I agree......I wouldn't want to be a "shrink" either.

If I'm not mistaken, plastic and reconstructive surgeons pull the highest salaries, with dermatologists coming in second.

High on life, my friend, high on life!:lol:

Pharmaceutical companies manufacture and sell much much more than psychotropics. Psychotropics are a drop in the bucket compared to antibiotics and allergy meds.

Of which school are you speaking? I am not at school.

And yes, I find it hysterical that anyone would think practitioners in the mental health field are getting rich.

Grass on the other side of the road is greener...

But it's prickly... and artificial.

Then you realize... all of it is just artificial...

Just one side get washed down every Tuesday, and the other get washed down every Thursday.

Grass on the other side of the road is greener...

But it's prickly... and artificial.

Then you realize... all of it is just artificial...

Just one side get washed down every Tuesday, and the other get washed down every Thursday.

Your sense of humor is working overtime tonight!:lol:

Is Mental Health Treatment A Fraud?

According to Robyn Dawes, a professor at Carnegie-Mellon University and a distinguished researcher on psychological evaluation and decision-making, the evidence is quite clear. Mental health practitioners possess no special insights into the individual human condition.

If you were to pay attention - only psychiatrists will call this person "crazy".

Restless Leg Syndrome ... why, they have a nice shiny pill for that too :lol:

You might want to do a little research into Dr. Dawes before using him as a reference.:laugh2: A link to a newletter? Puleeze! And if you want to discuss the efficacy of various treatments, you need empirical data and a knowledge of theory. I'm more than willing to discuss this issue with you, but I can't, in good conscious, battle an unarmed opponent.

You might want to do a little research into Dr. Dawes before using him as a reference.:laugh2:

And if you want to discuss the efficacy of various treatments, you need empirical data and a knowledge of theory.

Which I have - did you read the first statement I said about Dawes?

You can buy an expert to say anything. Just name the right price. lol

Which I have - did you read the first statement I said about Dawes?

Yep. If you have truly researched him, then I am surprised indeed that you would actually use him as a reference for your opinion.:shock:

Once again, if you want to discuss efficacy, come up with some empirical evidence.

ok, only if you will explain how the APA has attempted to "normalize" pedophilia :roll:

ok, only if you will explain how the APA has attempted to "normalize" pedophilia :roll:

You really are out there digging, aren't you? Last I checked, pedophillia is still classified as a diagnosable sexual and gender identity disorder. And that would hold true for both APA's. A disorder is, by implication alone, abnormal.

You really are out there digging, aren't you? Last I checked, pedophillia is still classified as a diagnosable sexual and gender identity disorder. And that would hold true for both APA's. A disorder is, by implication alone, abnormal.

yet you completely missed the word "attempted" in my post.

Back