Dairy-Free recipes

My ancestors are from the following places that I know of: Prussia, England, Australia (English) Cherokee. Looking back, we can't find anything else, so I just say I am German & English.

Now - seeing as there is all this other stuff in this thread, do I continue to put in some dairy-free recipes for those of us who may want them, or will we continue the conversations about lactose intolerance?

I kept nagging my Prussian native mother to lay off dairy like heavy cream, cream cheese and milk for years. She had finally changed her eating habits eventually. She likes goat milk. That's what she used to drink when she was a child before moved to US. I'm also Mexican, American Native descent, French descent and Spanish descent. I drink almond milk, rice milk and sometimes horchata. I also avoid hard cheese. They always makes me feel heavy after I eat. I do eat soft cheeses like bleu, mozzarella, and feta.

I do eat 85% or 90% pure cocoa daily. Oh, it tastes so bitterly.

I make extremely dark chocolate mousse with vanilla almond milk and 85% or 90% pure cocoa bars.

All you need is five eggs, chocolate bars, dairy free butter, and almond milk.

I kept nagging my Prussian native mother to lay off dairy like heavy cream, cream cheese and milk for years. She had finally changed her eating habits eventually. She likes goat milk. That's what she used to drink when she was a child before moved to US. I'm also Mexican, American Native descent, French descent and Spanish descent. I drink almond milk, rice milk and sometimes horchata. I also avoid hard cheese. They always makes me feel heavy after I eat. I do eat soft cheeses like bleu, mozzarella, and feta.

I do eat 85% or 90% pure cocoa daily. Oh, it tastes so bitterly.

I make extremely dark chocolate mousse with vanilla almond milk and 85% or 90% pure cocoa bars.

All you need is five eggs, chocolate bars, dairy free butter, and almond milk.

Is your mother lactose-intolerant?

Kristina, I personally would like more recipes:wave:

Then, for you my dear, I will continue. I will also find some vegan ones as well since I know you don't eat meat, but the other half does, right?

oh,:ty: Kristina, that is very kind and with the vegan thing too!
I appreciate that very much:)
but, if you would like to change it, or a majority of others want to have a different discussion, I'm not attached, it can be changed-

I have been drinking milk for many years until last year. My PCP said I am allergic to regular milk and Lactaid milk. He suggested me that I should try Soy-milk. So, I had to switch soy-milk and it works for me. My whole family is not allergic to milk.
BTW, I am Italian and Welsh. I don't think Milk has to do with my ancestors. It has to do with my age. :dunno:
Is Living Dairy Free for Dummies that are from Dummies.com?
Great recipes, KristinaB!!!!
Keep posting!!!

:wave:Sosie! What is PCP? My mom uses the Lactaid, I had never tried it before. But I wonder is it harder then if you can't use either the dairy milk or the Lactaid? Well, there's lots of other kinds - there's the soy like you have; also rice milk, and hemp milk; coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk. I've tried them all and my favorites are the hemp and the almond.

:wave:Sosie! What is PCP? My mom uses the Lactaid, I had never tried it before. But I wonder is it harder then if you can't use either the dairy milk or the Lactaid? Well, there's lots of other kinds - there's the soy like you have; also rice milk, and hemp milk; coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk. I've tried them all and my favorites are the hemp and the almond.

:wave: Dogmom, PCP which stands for Primary Care Physician. I did try Lactaid but it upsets my stomach. So, I had to switch soy-milk as my PCP suggested. Soy-milk works for me as I said in my previous post. I like all kinds of soy-milk but at this moment, I use Lactose-Free (Unsweetened) Silk Organic with no sugar added.

Sosie - I had tried the Soy milk and didn't really like the taste, but that's me. I have found that I really like the Almond milk as long as I do not get the unsweetened. I bought a 1/2 gallon of Silk Almond Milk with Dark Chocolate. Keep in mind, I am not a chocolate person. I detest chocolate, but I love this milk. It is heavenly. The Dummies.com site might have the book. I never checked. I have this one from the library and may see about getting one for myself.

I will be going through the book for more recipes. I will also see what else I have.

Sosie - I had tried the Soy milk and didn't really like the taste, but that's me. I have found that I really like the Almond milk as long as I do not get the unsweetened. I bought a 1/2 gallon of Silk Almond Milk with Dark Chocolate. Keep in mind, I am not a chocolate person. I detest chocolate, but I love this milk. It is heavenly. The Dummies.com site might have the book. I never checked. I have this one from the library and may see about getting one for myself.

I will be going through the book for more recipes. I will also see what else I have.

I guess everyone has different tastes. I like the Almond milk, too, taste good. Me, either, I don't drink any chocolate milk except cake, ice cream and candy bars.
Yes, the Dummies.com does have the book - Here is the link: Dairy Free - How-To Help and Videos - For Dummies
I have printed all of your recipes and I am going to give a try, to see how it turns out.
Keep coming, KristinaB!!! ;)

Strawberry-Banana Smoothie

1 1/2 cup of Vanilla Almond Milk
half a cup of strawberry (frozen strawberry is fine. I usually let them thaw first)
Two bananas

Strawberry-Banana Smoothie

1 1/2 cup of Vanilla Almond Milk
half a cup of strawberry (frozen strawberry is fine. I usually let them thaw first)
Two bananas

Same here. I'd add some fresh Blueberries.

Same here. :) I love blueberries.

Or you could add pineapple juice 6 oz to that.

I have been experimenting with whole wheat crepes with vanilla almond milk for a while. The first time was fine. The second time is okay. Whole wheat flour is coarse. It tastes fine only if you add banana, berry sauce or apple sauce to crepes. I will switch it with rice flour or amaranth flour. Amaranth was a part of the Pre-Columbian Aztec diet.

This is the recipe I tried:

2 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/4 whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup of Almond Milk

If you have any suggestion, go for it. I am gonna try one more egg and dairy free butter.

:wave: oh I see, Sosie :ty:

I just saw Earth Balance <the trans-fat free spread people> has a new soy milk, has anyone tried?

those smoothies look delicious!

Barbaro, I like crepes and pancakes too and buy the whole-grain ones.
since you mentioned suggestions, one thing I would do personally is sub the vegetable oil for something like grapeseed, canola or very mild olive oil, all of which will have better nutritional profiles than vegetable oil<corn, soybean, sunflower> I actually don't use butter or margarine <of any kind> for anything anymore and usually add olive oil to pancakes, veggies, potatoes, dressings etc. For my oatmeal I may use either olive or walnut oil.

I really enjoy amaranth cereal:)

Same here. :) I love blueberries.

Or you could add pineapple juice 6 oz to that.

I have been experimenting with whole wheat crepes with vanilla almond milk for a while. The first time was fine. The second time is okay. Whole wheat flour is coarse. It tastes fine only if you add banana, berry sauce or apple sauce to crepes. I will switch it with rice flour or amaranth flour. Amaranth was a part of the Pre-Columbian Aztec diet.

This is the recipe I tried:

2 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/4 whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup of Almond Milk

If you have any suggestion, go for it. I am gonna try one more egg and dairy free butter.

Oh, good, I thought I am only one like to eat some fresh Blueberries. :)
:hmm:.. Pineapple juice? I am going to try to taste of yours.
I added some fresh cherries with whole wheat crepes. I put Cool Whip on it. Yum!!!

:wave: oh I see, Sosie :ty:

I just saw Earth Balance <the trans-fat free spread people> has a new soy milk, has anyone tried?

those smoothies look delicious!

Barbaro, I like crepes and pancakes too and buy the whole-grain ones.
since you mentioned suggestions, one thing I would do personally is sub the vegetable oil for something like grapeseed, canola or very mild olive oil, all of which will have better nutritional profiles than vegetable oil<corn, soybean, sunflower> I actually don't use butter or margarine <of any kind> for anything anymore and usually add olive oil to pancakes, veggies, potatoes, dressings etc. For my oatmeal I may use either olive or walnut oil.

I really enjoy amaranth cereal:)

:wave: You are welcome!
I have seen Earth Balance soy-milk at Trader Joe's but I haven't tried. I am going to give a try. ;)

Back