Dairy-Free recipes

Oh, good, I thought I am only one like to eat some fresh Blueberries. :)
:hmm:.. Pineapple juice? I am going to try to taste of yours.
I added some fresh cherries with whole wheat crepes. I put Cool Whip on it. Yum!!!

You can buy a case of Dole pineapple juice- 6 pack at any store. I don't like to deal with one large can-46 oz.

If I am in the mood for sweet, I would add a pineapple juice along with strawberry and banana.

I like fresh blueberries, but I have to buy frozen blueberry or mixed berries packages daily for hubby. He always eats thawed mixed berries everyday after dinner meal.

:wave: oh I see, Sosie :ty:

I just saw Earth Balance <the trans-fat free spread people> has a new soy milk, has anyone tried?

those smoothies look delicious!

Barbaro, I like crepes and pancakes too and buy the whole-grain ones.
since you mentioned suggestions, one thing I would do personally is sub the vegetable oil for something like grapeseed, canola or very mild olive oil, all of which will have better nutritional profiles than vegetable oil<corn, soybean, sunflower> I actually don't use butter or margarine <of any kind> for anything anymore and usually add olive oil to pancakes, veggies, potatoes, dressings etc. For my oatmeal I may use either olive or walnut oil.

I really enjoy amaranth cereal:)

I can change the oil. The reason I chose vegetable oil is because it is flavorless. I was a bit concerned it might change the flavor if I use canola or olive oil. I will definitely have to try canola or olive oil. I use them religiously.

No, I haven't tried Earth Balance yet.

Sosie, oh ok-
I LOVE berries! And hubby does too-

yeah, I understand what you mean about the possibility of taste changing if using different oil, Barbaro. So for my oatmeal or pancakes, I want a very mild, buttery olive oil if using olive. For something like pasta or veggies, I want a stronger olive oil, more peppery. I always get the first cold pressed extra virgin.
If you get a very smooth buttery mild olive oil, I don't know that it will affect taste much but that is me. Canola is very neutral altogether.

I tried a whey protein powder called Terra's Whey and I used some almond milk and vanilla in it and it was good!

You can buy a case of Dole pineapple juice- 6 pack at any store. I don't like to deal with one large can-46 oz.

If I am in the mood for sweet, I would add a pineapple juice along with strawberry and banana.

I like fresh blueberries, but I have to buy frozen blueberry or mixed berries packages daily for hubby. He always eats thawed mixed berries everyday after dinner meal.

OK, I will. (We have Dole pineapple juice here.)

Sweet? I am not crazy about sweet but I will taste some, anyway.. Sounds good. Funny, I usually eat some All-Bran cereal (with soy-milk) along with fresh strawberries, blueberries and banana every morning or sometimes for dinner when I am in the mood. ;)

Sosie, oh ok-
I LOVE berries! And hubby does too-

yeah, I understand what you mean about the possibility of taste changing if using different oil, Barbaro. So for my oatmeal or pancakes, I want a very mild, buttery olive oil if using olive. For something like pasta or veggies, I want a stronger olive oil, more peppery. I always get the first cold pressed extra virgin.
If you get a very smooth buttery mild olive oil, I don't know that it will affect taste much but that is me. Canola is very neutral altogether.

Me, too... I love all kinds of berries.
Same here, but I am using Bertoli extra light olive oil for pasta and veggies.

I have both Extra Light Olive oil and extra virgin olive oil that I use. I find the EVOO has a very sharp or odd taste. Could it be that I don't use a good brand? I am using WalMart's Great Value brand.

Kristina, I find that there is a vast difference in quality of olive oil and that many times the typical store-bought oil at "big box"/large area chain stores is actually very old and of poor quality. I think that olive oil should have a variety of tastes depending on where it's from, type, season, etc but that it shouldn't ever taste odd or "off" - for me, there should be a depth of taste but pleasant. Just my personal thought.

Sosie a lot of times I toss the veggies and pasta togther.

I now have a taste for All-Bran cereal with soy milk:)

I will work on getting more recipes posted this week.

Found that I do not care for the curried carrot raisin salad, but my mother loved it.

Not doing too bad getting the hang of this dairy-free restriction, but I do tend to slip here and there and paying the price. Just today, we went to IHOP and I was very good and asked what was safe. I got sirloin tips with eggs and hash browns. They did not use any butter with the cooking. Problem was, my kids ordered the All You Can Eat popcorn shrimp and I couldn't resist having a couple of pieces of shrimp. They were buttermilk battered popcorn. Ah well - I hope to be better this week. I will take it "One Day At A Time".

Got another question and not sure where to get an answer. I have a recipe that calls for a certain amount of tofu. The package is almost double of that amount. Since I do not use tofu much yet, what do I do with the extra 6 ounces? I feel wasteful if I throw it out, but I'm not sure if I can still put it in the fridge after it's been pressed dry. Any suggestions?

Got another question and not sure where to get an answer. I have a recipe that calls for a certain amount of tofu. The package is almost double of that amount. Since I do not use tofu much yet, what do I do with the extra 6 ounces? I feel wasteful if I throw it out, but I'm not sure if I can still put it in the fridge after it's been pressed dry. Any suggestions?

Generally it should be kept in a closed container full of water. Change the water every day or so.

You could probably have still used it; often people press the water out of it before cooking. It's when it smells or gets a little slimy you know it's getting bad.

Kristina, I find that there is a vast difference in quality of olive oil and that many times the typical store-bought oil at "big box"/large area chain stores is actually very old and of poor quality. I think that olive oil should have a variety of tastes depending on where it's from, type, season, etc but that it shouldn't ever taste odd or "off" - for me, there should be a depth of taste but pleasant. Just my personal thought.

Sosie a lot of times I toss the veggies and pasta togther.

I now have a taste for All-Bran cereal with soy milk:)

Me, too, I do that all the time. ;)

Oh, good! When I finished eating All-Bran cereal, I go to the bathroom. It's high fiber!!! It helps. (My mother thanked me for suggesting it to her. :D..)

:wave: Sosie

gotta get some more All-Bran....

sometimes I also some soy mozzerella or Parm to my pasta and veggies.

All right, I have been busy in the real world. I have also been experimenting with my perfect crepe recipe lately. You know, I tried wheat flour crepes over and over again. I decided to try almond flour instead, and the results are great. It tastes like German potato pancake. My hubby loves it.

1 1/2 cups water
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt ( you can choose any salt you want: Celtic Sea Salt or Kosher Salt)

You can use a grapeseed oil or dairy free butter to coat a non stick pan.

You whisk it very well until it is smooth or you can use a blender. You have to let batter rest for several hours or overnight, so those bubbles will subside. If you don't, those crepes will fall apart. That's what Alton Brown did the same thing with his regular crepes on Good Eats show (the episode is Crepe Expectations)

As for almond flour, I recommend you order almond flour online, because it is extremely fine, and more affordable than Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour.

I think I am gonna have to try ordering some cheese online or something. My local Whole Foods does not have anything dairy-free that tastes good. I have thrown out 3-4 different kinds and can't afford to do that too much.

I have experimented with different kinds of milk when making my bread and the rice milk is the best. Also, we did find out this past week, Earth Balance soy butter, even though it has a strong smell and taste, the bread came out softer and fluffier that with Smart Balance that tastes better.

I made some crab rangoons using the Tofutti cream cheese and they were fantastic. Here's the recipe:

1 package won ton wrappers (Nasoya)
8 ounces package Tofutti cream cheese
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup crab meat
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Canola oil for frying

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil

On medium high heat, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Saute the garlic and onion for 2 minutes. Let cool. In a bowl, combine the garlic, onion, 1 T soy sauce, crab meat and cream cheese.

Take 1 won ton, place 1 teaspoon of mixture in middle of wrapper, fold in half, brush edges with water or egg wash and press to seal. Bring corners together. Overlap corners, brush with water or egg wash to seal. Step-by-step instructions and pictures are inside the packaging of the won ton wrappers. Repeat with remaining wrappers.

In a wok or large skillet heat oil to 350. Fry 4-6 won tons at a time, turning once for 1 minute or until the edges are brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve while warm with dipping sauce.

Raw Cows Milk

Feed a calf the normal dairy milk at your shop at it would die in side 2 months
Feed a calf slim milk and it would die inside 1 month
Few people are aware that clean, raw milk from grass-fed cows was actually used as a medicine in the early part of the last century . That's right. Milk straight from the udder, a sort of "stem cell" of foods, was used as medicine to treat, and frequently cure some serious chronic diseases . From the time of Hippocrates to until just after World War II, this "white blood" nourished and healed uncounted millions.

:hmm:

Well - half of our WalMarts have now discontinued any Silk brand milk or creamers. Whole Foods also does not carry the Silk brank Almond Milk here in town. I have tried 365 brand organic almond milk, but that did not have a good taste to me. I did find a WalMart about 20 miles from home that has what I want and they say they will keep it in stock. They also keep the Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream in stock as well.

I got another kind of cheese from Whole Foods to try and may try it tonight. It is from Daiya. I will see how it is.

Have not had a lot of time to make my own bread lately, but I did find a Jewish bakery here in town right next to my Farmer's Market. That has been a blessing as I buy a lot of the bread on the day old shelf and then freeze it. I also get bagels, rolls and such as well.

Lactose Intolerance - calcium, food, nutrition, body, diet, absorption, carbohydrate, carbohydrates, acids, Structure and Functions of Lactose, Prevalence, Types of Lactose Intolerance

I had Lactose-Intolerance when I was a baby, my mother had to buy me special milk. My family is Jewish and my niece is Lactose-Intolerance too she can only drink soy milk. .

I have a mild case of lactose intolerance and as a baby, I developed such a severe rash that my parents fed soy milk to me instead of milk. This will be quite useful for me as I need to cut down on satured fats in my dishes.

All right, I have been busy in the real world. I have also been experimenting with my perfect crepe recipe lately. You know, I tried wheat flour crepes over and over again. I decided to try almond flour instead, and the results are great. It tastes like German potato pancake. My hubby loves it.

1 1/2 cups water
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt ( you can choose any salt you want: Celtic Sea Salt or Kosher Salt)

You can use a grapeseed oil or dairy free butter to coat a non stick pan.

You whisk it very well until it is smooth or you can use a blender. You have to let batter rest for several hours or overnight, so those bubbles will subside. If you don't, those crepes will fall apart. That's what Alton Brown did the same thing with his regular crepes on Good Eats show (the episode is Crepe Expectations)

As for almond flour, I recommend you order almond flour online, because it is extremely fine, and more affordable than Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour.
MMm I'll have to try it out.. I had to give up buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup. The carb count in maple syrup was a real eye opener. :shock:

I don't like any of the maple syrup replacements but I think that I can use fruit compote in place of the maple syrup with your almond flour based recipe and not blow my carb allowance. I usally don't allow myself more than 45 carbs per meal. And this recipe looks like I can use fruit syrup or compote without me blowing my carb allowance.

Back