Curious....

set2, do a hearing aid and CI together make a big difference compared to a CI alone concerning speech perception ? or difference is minor ? I too am thinking of wearing CI+HA if I would be qualify.

I just wish someone would answer my question of what it sounds like. What is the difference between the sounds of CI and HA? I am deeply curious.

I think that is a hard question to answer because everyone is different and have different comparison bases. Not only that, but hearing aid hearing is your natural hearing amplified whereas CI hearing is more like "virtual hearing" because of the ability to manipulate what you hear by programming. This is my experience only but I have noticed some others report the same things.

1. Better perception of high frequency sounds - alarms for leaving car brake on, leaving the iron on, for the toll way and so on really make me jump. Before, I would either not notice or it would only just register.

2. Better speech perception - seems easier to understand the TV, radio, speakers etc without the need to lipread. However, remember I have a background of severe/profound deafness. Someone with mild/moderate deafness might not notice quite as much.

3. Classical music seems so much richer and varied.

4. Background noise doesn't seem to bother me as much. It's still not easy but with hearing aids, I would feel so exhausted that I would have to take them out and have a lie down. I don't feel the same tiredness.

Highlands,

I have not had any testing done using both the CI and HA but I would not expect a big difference. I don't really notice a difference when I have compared what I think my speech discrimination is with the CI only to what I think my speech discrimination using CI and HA.

Not everyone likes the CI/ HA combination but it is worth trying.

Highlands,

I have not had any testing done using both the CI and HA but I would not expect a big difference. I don't really notice a difference when I have compared what I think my speech discrimination is with the CI only to what I think my speech discrimination using CI and HA.

Not everyone likes the CI/ HA combination but it is worth trying.

Thanks, I would give a try to that if I'm qualify for a CI.

I just wish someone would answer my question of what it sounds like. What is the difference between the sounds of CI and HA? I am deeply curious.

For me the sounds of the CI are much clearer then the HA. WHile initially they implant side is weird. the sound itself seems to normalize into whatever you heard before, but speech is much clearer. (and results are individual so while I had no problems there are some people who struggle from the beginning relearning to hear) People with more sound memory do seem to have an easier time learning to understand speech...but it's an indivdual thing.

It's really hard to explain but it is true that for a few weeks or more after the device is activated it does make people sound like they are mickey mouse or have inhaled some helium. That's what eventually normalizes. Your voice will probably sound really loud... I used the HA in my other ear and the two devices seemed to help each other out quite well. I quit using HA after about 3 months. Eventually the HA started to sound distorted tho. But that to probably varies from person to person.

hey jag, do you find one CI well enough for speech perception ?

So you're currently in the throes of trying out different HAs, for your worse ear?

I get new HAs every 5 years. The ones I am wearing now is the Phonak SonoForte2. I hear everything with it. When I got it I heard bacon frying on a pan. Did you know it makes a Ssssss sound? I didn't. It was cool.

My Audi says that it's the most powerful HA out there and I can't get anymore powerful. I love to hear. lol.

As for my bad ear, she says The HA won't work anymore. The sounds will end up muffled and make me feel dizzy and over worked.

For me the sounds of the CI are much clearer then the HA. WHile initially they implant side is weird. the sound itself seems to normalize into whatever you heard before, but speech is much clearer. (and results are individual so while I had no problems there are some people who struggle from the beginning relearning to hear) People with more sound memory do seem to have an easier time learning to understand speech...but it's an indivdual thing.

From what I am getting, for me the HA and CI won't be much different. I hear pretty clear with the HA. The only difference is that I might be able to hear the voices a bit better. Certainly would be an interesting thing to find out.

It's really hard to explain but it is true that for a few weeks or more after the device is activated it does make people sound like they are mickey mouse or have inhaled some helium.

This gave me a chuckle. Thanks. lol.

Another good book is Rebuilt by Michael Chorost, you can also read some of his blogs at Michael Chorost This book really mirrors your issue, which is that of being a severely-profoundly hearing impaired for your entire life, then suddenly starting to lose the final residual hearing as an adult.

Amazon.com: Rebuilt: My Journey Back to the Hearing World: Books: Michael Chorost

I'll admit I'm biased because Mike is a patient at our clinic :) But it really is a well-written book, you don't keep 5 star reviews on Amazon with dozens of reviewers unless your writing resonates with multiple audiences.

Will do R2D2. I am just waiting for the grace period between now and when they retest me. It feels like it's taking forever though.

Audiofuzzy, thanks for the advice. I'll look into the book and read it sometime between my massive study crams. As for switching into the deaf ways...I am enough into it as I can be. Deaf people tend to get quite jelous of how well I interact with the hearing world and they tend to shun me. It's actually quite sad. I do know sign language, taught myself how to do so in preschool/kindergarden. All I need is a refresher course. lol.

The more I think about it, I've realized that I might just have to get the CI if I need it. I am in the prime of my life and it just started. It's not fair to me if I just quit, I've worked too hard to get to where I am now in life. I am not going to let it stop me at a grinding halt.

Bleah...life sucks.

I am 23 years old, was born hard of hearing and worn hearing aid on both ears since I was four. I just found out that I am losing what little hearing I have left in my right ear and I should consider getting a cochlear implant. I am actually slightly scared.

I was wondering if you could tell me the pros and cons about it. What does it sound like compared to a hearing aid (if you do know the difference)? Have you or have you not regretted getting it?

Thank you.

It is natural to be a little scared, but I had the time of my life researching all about CI. It was a intensive because you get so caught up in all the information, the stories, the difference experiences people have. The best part is that they are all people like us with their own story to tell. I wore hearing aids in both ears since I was 4 as well. Our stories start similar!!

I have been activated for about four weeks now and the ear I chosen was my dead ear. I stopped wearing a hearing aid in my left ear 15 years ago because it sounded muffled and distorted and horrible. It just got to the point where I didn't hear anything. I figured if I get the Ci in my dead ear, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

15 years later with a CI and I hear voices and sounds just they use to with my hearing aid, but enhanced with clarity and crispness. At first it did not sounds like this but since I researched I knew that the first couple weeks might be a little rough with your brain getting use to the new way of hearing. Right now I wear the CI and hearing aid and it works for me. I'm kind of slapping myself for not getting this done sooner lol.

I strongly advocate Michael Chorost book Rebuilt as well. He truly gives a perspective in to having a cochlear implant, he even enlightened quite a few of my hearing friends in what we go through every day.

In the end it comes down to what you want.

I will definately check out Michael Chorost book. Seems to be an interesting read.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

How much hair do they shave off when they do the surgery? I have long hair and I am suppose to get married in August of next year. If I do end up having the surgery it will be in March (during spring break for me), I am pretty sure that will give my hair enough time to grow back enough to put it up.

How much hair do they shave off when they do the surgery? I have long hair and I am suppose to get married in August of next year. If I do end up having the surgery it will be in March (during spring break for me), I am pretty sure that will give my hair enough time to grow back enough to put it up.

Here is a picture of how much I had shaved off, be forewarned it isn't a pretty picture. This was a week after my surgery.

CHRONICLES OF A BIONIC WOMAN: Here is my ear...

How is it now? How long ago did you have the surgery. I am sorry but I am now scared that I wont have enough hair for my wedding :(.

I had surgery done on August 27th, I'm pretty furry and filled in now. I will take a picture and post it on my blog. You might have a surgeon that does minimal invasive surgery which I have seen pictures of very little if any shaved off. If I put my hair back, I would put the ponytail down towards the neck inside of up high and you can't tell. August should be enough time for it to grow. You can always take prenatal vitamins which make your grow at an amazing rate of speed. It would be a blessing that you would able to hear your hubby to be say I do :)

I had watched cochlear implant surgery on video... it had small incision and dr only shave small spot on side of head near ear.... you can cover it afterward if your hair is long...

It depends on the surgeon and the incision technique they use. I lucked out and had a surgeon who does neat incisions right behind the ear, along the crease where it attaches to the head. As a result I think I only had about two locks of hair removed.

At my first surgery I took pictures of the side of the head before implantation thinking it was all going to be shaved off. I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up and found that it was still there LOL!

So basically, the answer it that it depends on the surgeon. If you look at photos that people have posted on the internet you can see quite a variation.

It depends on the surgeon and the incision technique they use. I lucked out and had a surgeon who does neat incisions right behind the ear, along the crease where it attaches to the head. As a result I think I only had about two locks of hair removed.

At my first surgery I took pictures of the side of the head before implantation thinking it was all going to be shaved off. I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up and found that it was still there LOL!

So basically, the answer it that it depends on the surgeon. If you look at photos that people have posted on the internet you can see quite a variation.

I haven't seen many photos. I will look and ask around. I'll even discuss it with the surgeon about it too.

If I put my hair back, I would put the ponytail down towards the neck inside of up high and you can't tell.

I like wearing my hair up high. I can't stand it on my neck all day long. Only time I have it down is at night or when I dont have to go outside.

August should be enough time for it to grow. You can always take prenatal vitamins which make your grow at an amazing rate of speed.

Interesting. Didn't know that. Guess I'll have to try.

It would be a blessing that you would able to hear your hubby to be say I do :)

I can already hear him well enough. It would be cool to hear him say it clearer. lol. And he is a blessing ;).

Well I'm glad that we helped you come to a decision about getting the implant! I can imagine how tough it would be to make that decision. But I mean its very good that you were willing to get some advice and things.
You know..........maybe the reason your audi's reccomending the implant, instead of experimenting with HAs, is b/c recruitment might be really common in progressive losses. Anyone know?

Back