Cross your fingers...

Has anyone dealt with Boys Town in Omaha. If so, did you deal with the CI not contacting you? I have not heard anything from them and it's been three weeks. This is annoying me increadably.

So yeah...just found out that the CT Scan was inadequate. The doctor wanted a MRI. Yet they scheduled me for a CT scan. Yeah...this is all stupid. Utter bull*&%#.

So yeah...just found out that the CT Scan was inadequate. The doctor wanted a MRI. Yet they scheduled me for a CT scan. Yeah...this is all stupid. Utter bull*&%#.

I had the same thing happen. The audie had me go for a CT scan as this was standard but the CI doctor wanted an MRI. The reason is that MRIs are now considered to be more useful for planning the surgery and ensuring that they don't have too many surprises.

They should have got back to you about that though. As with anything, if you want something done you have to do it yourself!

Good news.

I just got the call. Apparently the CT scan was good enough for them to approve the CI. They are writing up the letter for insurance.

Now I have to deal with insurance.

Yay!!!!

Congratulations! You are moving forward. Slowly, but foward all the same!

The goal of cochlear implantation is to restore hearing to people who are functionally deaf. Tinnitus is a common perception among deaf people. If a cochlear implant is successful and allows the patient to hear some external sounds, this usually reduces the perception of tinnitus, especially on the implanted side. Numerous studies reported that cochlear implants reduced or suppressed tinnitus for a majority of patients who experienced tinnitus prior to implantation (Brackmann, 1981; Tyler & Kelsay, 1990; McKerrow et al, 1991; Souliere et al, 1992; Ito, 1997; Dauman, 2000; Ruckenstein et al, 2001).

Mo B, Harris S, Lindbaek M.
ENT-Department Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway. birger.mo@labmed.uio.no
As part of a quality of life study, 84 patients who received multichannel intra-cochlear cochlear implants (CIs) were evaluated regarding tinnitus problems by a quTahestionnaire. As controls, 60 hearing aid (HA) users and 35 non-operated CI candidates were used. The prevalence of tinnitus in the CI group was 70%, and that of troublesome tinnitus was 35%. In the two other groups, the prevalences of tinnitus were 40% (HA) and 74% (non-CI). Twenty-three per cent of HA users and 51% of non-operated CI candidates had troublesome tinnitus. CIs were found to be superior to HAs in reducing tinnitus, 54% of the CI patients with tinnitus experiencing a reduction in tinnitus when using a CI. In the other two groups, 4% of HA users and 23% of non-operated CI candidates experienced a reduction in tinnitus when using an HA. Eight per cent of the CI patients with tinnitus experienced an increase in tinnitus when using their implant. Not having paid employment was independently associated with troublesome tinnitus in all three groups.PMID: 12477173 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of CIs on tinnitus. Several investigators have reported significant relief from tinnitus following cochlear implantation. Overall, 71% to 92% of the patients report tinnitus suppression or elimination due to CIs, especially in the ear with the implant. In addition, many patients report relief in the nonimplanted ear.8-11 Furthermore, several patients experience relief for 60 seconds to several hours after the CI is turned off.9 Up to 9% of patients may report exacerbation of tinnitus, suggesting a relatively small risk of increase in tinnitus following cochlear implants.12
Mo et al5 compared the effect of hearing aid use and CI use on troublesome tinnitus. A reduction in troublesome tinnitus was reported by 54% of the CI patients, while only 23% of the hearing aid users who were candidates for CI reported reduction.
Overall, the above findings suggest that CIs can provide at least some, if not complete, relief from tinnitus for a majority of patients.
Potential Benefits of Cochlear Implants for Individuals Who Communicate Exclusively Through Sign Language | October 2007 | The Hearing Review

Thanks for the info and I know that I have almost no tinnitus unless my landline phone rings. It was so bad that before I got implanted that I didn't wear my HA for a year and half.

Good news.

I just got the call. Apparently the CT scan was good enough for them to approve the CI. They are writing up the letter for insurance.

Now I have to deal with insurance.

Yay!!!!

Awesome! I'm crossing my fingers for you. :fingersx:

So yeah I figured I'd call the insurance to check out how far they are with the pre-determination process. None, zip, nadda. Why? Well because they never recieved the letter. After much fighting and trying to get them to talk to me, my mom calls them and gets a response (which is utter bulls&@# due to the fact that I am 24 and no longer a minor). Turns out the letter was sitting on the doctor's desk, waiting to be signed. It took him three weeks to sign it. Today they should send it to the insurance. I will be calling later on to ensure that it has made it.

The only good news I've gotten is that 15 days after the insurance gets the letter they have to give me an answer. Which means they aren't allowed to lead me around by my nose. Hopefully they just say yes right off the bat.

Back