Cross your fingers...

Hi Ladycaissa,

I wondered if insurance would be an issue for you since it sounded like you were right on the theshold of FDA criteria in terms of qualifying for a CI.

I think this shows the downside of such booth testing. It doesn't take into account how much people struggle in real life situations.

I hope your CI team can advocate for you.

BTW from what you said about your right ear, I strongly think you have recruitment, since you mentioned pain with the hearing aid, distorted sounds and tinnitus. I had recruitment and it makes wearing a hearing aid impossible even though you can "hear" sounds. Does your CI team know about this? I think this would help sway your case more favourably.

Oh, OK. Thanks for refreshing my memory. That is wicked good that you're at Boys Town. They are actually a really good NATIONAL center, if I recall correctly.
I agree 100% with R2D2, Mention that you have very severe recruitment in your deaf ear. (ie that it really hurts to wear your HA in that ear)
It's possible that they might be "hmmm OK, she can't wear a hearing aid in that ear. I would have your audi and ENT write into your mom's insurance. And ALSO contact Let Them Hear, just in case.

Hi Ladycaissa,

I wondered if insurance would be an issue for you since it sounded like you were right on the theshold of FDA criteria in terms of qualifying for a CI.

I think this shows the downside of such booth testing. It doesn't take into account how much people struggle in real life situations.

I hope your CI team can advocate for you.

BTW from what you said about your right ear, I strongly think you have recruitment, since you mentioned pain with the hearing aid, distorted sounds and tinnitus. I had recruitment and it makes wearing a hearing aid impossible even though you can "hear" sounds. Does your CI team know about this? I think this would help sway your case more favourably.

They know. One of the people who interviewed me was concerned that I had recruitment and she was gonna bring it up in the meeting.

Got a little bit of news...not much

Got a call from one of the nurses. She said that the doctors want to continue with the testing and have me get a CT scan.

I dont know if it's good news or bad news. I should hear more later on.

Got a call from one of the nurses. She said that the doctors want to continue with the testing and have me get a CT scan.

If they want a CT scan, that's a good sign. Sounds like you are getting closer.

It also depends on what insurance will say too.

Bleah

I understand. Insurance is a whole other issue! But if you qualify medically, the insurance company can be disputed if they refuse to pay. It a long drawn out thing, isn't it?

I understand. Insurance is a whole other issue! But if you qualify medically, the insurance company can be disputed if they refuse to pay. It a long drawn out thing, isn't it?

Yeah it is.

I am getting so stressed out because of it. My back has huge knots and I can't sleep. I know I shouldn't be stressed to it but I am.

Yeah it is.

I am getting so stressed out because of it. My back has huge knots and I can't sleep. I know I shouldn't be stressed to it but I am.

Have they filed for insurance? Getting a CAT scan is a good thing. They need that test to make sure your cochlear are normal. If it is adnormal you can not qualify for implants. It is a great thing.

Insurance - stop worrying. From someone who has been there and done that - there is a lot of steps before you even get to that point. If you are asking for one implant, it is so much easier than what I did(bilateral).

You are in my prayers, I know how you feel and I hope it works out quickly for you.

Yeah it is.

I understand. It is something that you want badly, and you probably feel like you have no control over getting what you want right now. I hope that you will have your answers soon and can relax and look forward to getting your surgery.

I understand. It is something that you want badly, and you probably feel like you have no control over getting what you want right now. I hope that you will have your answers soon and can relax and look forward to getting your surgery.

Relaxing for me is easier to say than doing right now. Thanks for the positive support though. I appriciate it.

Yes, agree with the others. A CT scan is standard as part of the battery of tests to ensure that you have the appropriate internal ear structure for implantation.

I find a massage great for knots in the back! Thinking of you and hope it goes well.

you should check all your local spas and schools for diff prices for massages i get one once a month at my school for only 25 dollars for an hour. It's students who do the massages, but they are all 2nd or 3rd years so they know what they are doing. I find them more thorough then some registeres massage therapists that i've gone to. and 25 bucks..for an hour! how can u go wrong! :). But bck to the subj

Good luck on ur ct scan, i was scared when i had to get ct...me and needles do not like each other...hope u fail all your ci tests so u can get your ci and ur insurance wont be crappy

I finally managed to get an appointment. Nurses don't understand the concept of call my cell because I will not be at the home number due to college. Anyways, the appointment on the 8th of Feb. Found out that they want to review my expectations again. That shocked me a bit. I thought I told them what I expected and they already told me what to expect. What makes them need to do it again. Bleah.

Thanks for all the positive imput. It has helped me greatly.

I finally managed to get an appointment. Nurses don't understand the concept of call my cell because I will not be at the home number due to college. Anyways, the appointment on the 8th of Feb. Found out that they want to review my expectations again. That shocked me a bit. I thought I told them what I expected and they already told me what to expect. What makes them need to do it again. Bleah.

It might be that they need to reword the insurance report. They might need to stress your other conditions so you qualify for CI. So just 9 days away.

I like the idea relaxing. I really understand the stress. The year wait I had was very stressful. The outcome has been worth it.

I think it is a good thing that they want to review with you. They are taking the time to make sure that you uinderstand them, and that they understand you. Too often, doctors neglect to make sure that both sides understand each other completely. It is also a sign that they are moving closer to qualifying you.

Good luck on your appointment on the 8th. I look forward to hearing how it went for you.

Just finally got home and situated. The CT Scan went well without hitch. I am hoping to get results either by the end of the week or the beginning of next week.

I do have bad news however. Had my audiologist recheck my hearing because I was having issues with my left ear being too sensitive and hurting me. I was also starting to get ringing in the left ear also. She wanted me to come in so I did. Anyways, the left ear hasn't changed on the audiogram but she said my tolerance for noise has gone down. We adjusted the hearing aid for the change. However once we did that she told me from what she saw, if my tolerance goes down any more I won't be able to wear an aid in the ear. Blarg. My right ear has also gone down some more. It sucks...the only thing good I see out of this is that it increases my chances of getting CI.

I'll let you guys know what's up when I get the results.

Just finally got home and situated. The CT Scan went well without hitch. I am hoping to get results either by the end of the week or the beginning of next week.

I do have bad news however. Had my audiologist recheck my hearing because I was having issues with my left ear being too sensitive and hurting me. I was also starting to get ringing in the left ear also. She wanted me to come in so I did. Anyways, the left ear hasn't changed on the audiogram but she said my tolerance for noise has gone down. We adjusted the hearing aid for the change. However once we did that she told me from what she saw, if my tolerance goes down any more I won't be able to wear an aid in the ear. Blarg. My right ear has also gone down some more. It sucks...the only thing good I see out of this is that it increases my chances of getting CI.

I'll let you guys know what's up when I get the results.

It's good that you have an audie who understands what recruitment is and how painful it can be even though on paper you might have a hearing loss that can be helped with a hearing aid. Not all of them know...

Hope that things work out, whichever direction you take.

Back