Credit check for employment

In the military, they do credit checks on members getting higher level security clearances. Monetary gain for selling national secrets is a big risk.

As for a background check such as a criminal history, I believe those people should be given job opportunities because the history is past. For example, I was incarcerated for dope dealing 10 years ago. Shouldn't I have a job because of that? My point is that people do change.

If I am not hired because of my criminal history, then I would commit a crime again to survive.

I know a few businesses in here that would hire a convict. there's a good burger joint in Newark known to hire convicts.

if they don't give up easily, they can find a job. people commit a crime again because they gave up. same thing to law-abiding citizens. if they give up, they'll become homeless or criminal.

What are you trying to say? I am not hired because I am not credible due to my poor credit record? That's so dumb. It would have nothing to do with job performance.

that's dumb. that's not how it works.

I can see that if you are going to have access to lots of money. Its their business then too because it could affect them. I think applying to that kind of job you would assume there would be some financial scrutiny.

no. they wouldn't see how much you have in your bank account.

What if someone gets laid off and can't make payments to his/her credit cards, car loan, mortgage or whatever? You call that poor responsibility?

I got laid off last year and during my unemployment, I paid off all of my CCs, and still pay car loans, etc. on time. It's called a good fiscal responsibility.

beside - when you get laid off, you can apply for unemployment benefits.

Those with poor credit records need jobs so they can pay bills. Don't you have feelings toward them?

I assume you have a feeling toward them. what are you going to do about it? hire them? help them? what?

Also, take note of my edit. I've never had an investigator sit down with me that hasn't asked me questions about money, whether I spend foolishly, do I have a savings (although this is already know before we even meet), and a whole slew of questions regarding my finances...the annoying part is the way the questions are repeated. They refrase them and ask the same question in only a slightly different way to see if they can trip you up or cause you to reveal something you didn't say in your earlier statement.

I think 7 states ban on credit check for employment won't apply to federal employment, also federal employment cannot forced to join the unions too, even if it is legal in their state.

What are you trying to say? I am not hired because I am not credible due to my poor credit record? That's so dumb. It would have nothing to do with job performance.

A person that has poor credit has demonstrated to potential employers poor judgement in their personal life. If a person can't handle their own finances, why should an employer trust them with the company/agency's time, money, and mission?

It's common for some students to put whole semester's worth of classes on their credit card, meals, beer, without a back up plan to pay all of this off. They think nothing of it, foolish as it is...and it just grows without end. Some people walk away from jobs, without one in hand, thinking they'll find another in a few days or a week, but they learn the hard way that employers don't think as much of them as they think of themselves.

In federal service, and what we're now seeing with the public sector too, employers are looking for people that can handle responsibility. While it may not seem "fair" to you and that it has nothing to do with your work performance, it does..and it ties into the idea that a person that can manage money, achieve realistic goals, and use sound judgement, will exhibit that same behavior in their work life.

No, they want to know if you're in trouble currently, they want the current state of our finanicial affairs because of the temptation of accesiblity. Your credit report doesn't really reflect your credibility.

It can. For instance I would be much more inclined to hire someone who declared Ch 13 bankruptcy rather than Ch 7.

Another example. 2 guys with scores of 530..

Guy A: got into trouble 4 years ago and stopped paying bills. Now those bills have been satisfied

Guy B got himself in trouble the same way but hasn't made any effort to clear those debts.

You at least have to ask why, but either way Guy A is more credible. 1) because he did what was right despite his credit already being trashed. 2) Because his debts are now clear so it is a fairly reasonable assumption that he will be less likely than guy B to steal or fake an injury. Guy B on the other hand could be a great guy...but in those desperate times sometimes people will do things they won't normally do.

It can. For instance I would be much more inclined to hire someone who declared Ch 13 bankruptcy rather than Ch 7.

Guy A: got into trouble 4 years ago and stopped paying bills. Now those bills have been satisfied

Guy B got himself in trouble the same way but hasn't made any effort to clear those debts.

You at least have to ask why, but either way Guy A is more credible. 1) because he did what was right despite his credit already being trashed. 2) Because his debts are now clear so it is a fairly reasonable assumption that he will be less likely than guy B to steal or fake an injury. Guy B on the other hand could be a great guy...but in those desperate times sometimes people will do things they won't normally do.

Oh really, I believe that federal law ban on employment discrimination on applicant who bankrupted or have bad debt.
11 USC § 525 - Protection against discriminatory treatment | Title 11 - Bankruptcy | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

If employees find out so they could sue employers for discrimination.

I saw and it doesn't apply. You didn't read it carefully.

I read carefully and I learned from my legal studies course.
(b) No private employer may terminate the employment of, or discriminate with respect to employment against, an individual who is or has been a debtor under this title, a debtor or bankrupt under the Bankruptcy Act, or an individual associated with such debtor or bankrupt, solely because such debtor or bankrupt—
(1) is or has been a debtor under this title or a debtor or bankrupt under the Bankruptcy Act;
(2) has been insolvent before the commencement of a case under this title or during the case but before the grant or denial of a discharge; or
(3) has not paid a debt that is dischargeable in a case under this title or that was discharged under the Bankruptcy Act.
11 USC § 525 - Protection against discriminatory treatment | Title 11 - Bankruptcy | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Care to explain about what you said - not apply?

it's a hiring process, not a termination process.... therefore it doesn't apply.

:hmm:

I rather to ask lawyer to understand the anti-discrimination law and it isn't worth for me to get sued for violation of law - can be expensive for small businesses.

I doubt employers will use bankruptcy as reason to deny the applicant - they could deny because of not qualified based on experience or skill.

I can see TXGolfer - he said if he has 2 applicant that filed for bankruptcy - Ch. 7 and Ch. 13 so he prefers to pick the applicant who bankrupted under Ch. 13. It looks no discrimination to me, anyway.

True enough, from my own personal expreience with the credit checks it was just for management positions, mostly looking to see if you were behind in credit cards or mortgage etc etc. That's why the manager of our store told the guy to file for bankrupcy, so he'd have a clean slate and not be behind on anything.

You would think filing for bankrupcy would reflect more poorly on their crediblity, someone who gave up and started over vs someone who is still trying to get caught up and pay off their debt. But that's not what these particular employers were looking for.

Back