Credit check for employment

Right - I can see it if you are in finance or something like that. But manufacturing and general labor should not have to have it.

I've never had a credit check for a job before, I think those are just for if you have access to the company's money, and a lot of it.

For instance, when I was working at ExxonMobil the assisant manager was wanting to be the manager of his own store. He was a retired cop and I guess had run into money problems at some point and his credit was in the dump. The manager, our boss, told him he should file for bankrupcy, that it would look better when they ran the credit check on him when it came time if a store opened up. He didn't listen, and he was denied the promotion because of his credit.

But they're, ExxonMobil, not going to run credit checks on the cashiers, the amount of money you have access to is really small compared to the access the manager has. It's not that having bad credit makes you "shady" or untrustworthy. But it would be very tempting to fix the money problems you have, if you have bad credit you've had money problems, with the money that is available if you have access to it.

As for a background check such as a criminal history, I believe those people should be given job opportunities because the history is past. For example, I was incarcerated for dope dealing 10 years ago. Shouldn't I have a job because of that? My point is that people do change.

If I am not hired because of my criminal history, then I would commit a crime again to survive.

7 states ban on credit check for employment.
California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Illinois
Maryland
Oregon
Washington

Some states are in pending, including New York.

Liberals states with economic woes.......imagine that.

OMG, that's totally unacceptable. That sucks. Congress must do something about it.

Imagine, an employer doesn't hire you because you fail to make payments to your car loan on time. That's so dumb.

Not really. You are asking for something from your potential employer. They have a right to find out if you are credible. Even burger flippers can "slip and sue"

As for a background check such as a criminal history, I believe those people should be given job opportunities because the history is past. For example, I was incarcerated for dope dealing 10 years ago. Shouldn't I have a job because of that? My point is that people do change.

If I am not hired because of my criminal history, then I would commit a crime again to survive.

Yes, the recidivism rate (re-commit crime) is very high in the US.

I support some of records, especially non-violent crimes to be hidden, except for law enforcement, so that what my state is doing and you have to meet requirement before they can hide the record.

My state is looking for solution to reduce the prison overcrowding and it will take years for reform to kicks in.

Not really. You are asking for something from your potential employer. They have a right to find out if you are credible. Even burger flippers can "slip and sue"

How would they figure out you where going to slip and sue from a credit check?

Unless i'm going to have access to sensative data or a lot of money my personal life is none of their business and i'd leave before i'd submit to any kind of credit check.

How would they figure out you where going to slip and sue from a credit check?

Unless i'm going to have access to sensative data or a lot of money my personal life is none of their business and i'd leave before i'd submit to any kind of credit check.

Again....credibility...

Plenty of moral people with bad credit. You cant tell what kind of person someone is by their credit score

That is why employers look at the report and not the score. It is a great predictor.

If employers take credit check seriously so I will stuck on welfare for rest of my life, unless I move to 1 of 7 states. :roll:

What are you trying to say? I am not hired because I am not credible due to my poor credit record? That's so dumb. It would have nothing to do with job performance.

Again....credibility...

No, they want to know if you're in trouble currently, they want the current state of our finanicial affairs because of the temptation of accesiblity. Your credit report doesn't really reflect your credibility.

What are you trying to say? I am not hired because I am not credible due to my poor credit record? That's so dumb. It would have nothing to do with job performance.

Yes, that why I disagree with all of his posts.

That's part of opinion.

No, they want to know if you're in trouble currently, they want the current state of our finanicial affairs because of the temptation of accesiblity. Your credit report doesn't really reflect your credibility.

I can see that if you are going to have access to lots of money. Its their business then too because it could affect them. I think applying to that kind of job you would assume there would be some financial scrutiny.

I read article about it, the idea of credit check for employment dated back to 90's. The purpose of this is to determine how responsibility prospective employees are, it is not just about access to money. Often, where they usually have bunch of deadlines that employees need to meet. Those with bad credit is a good indicator of poor responsibility. For example a position that oversees the schedules and deals with deadlines on jobs, following up, etc where there is no money access. Employer wants to make sure you are responsibility and ability to meet the deadlines. Employers can not afford mess up with deadlines. Also, often when employer hires somebody, they prefer new employee stay with them for at least 18 months, the longer the better. Those with poor credit usually have shorter employment span which raise red flag as well.

I don't think flipping hamburgers requires credit check.

One of you said how do you find out? Easy, check your credit report. Anytime when anyone access to your credit, credit bureau are required to document and you will find out. That part, will not impact your credit score.

To me, its mixed. It is either good or bad thing.

Grocery store did a credit check on hubby for when applied to stock shelves. Kitchen did a credit check on hubby when he applied to be a dishwasher. Auto parts store did a credit check on hubby when he applied to stock shelves. Other places did a credit check when he was applying to do warehouse work in shipping and receiving.

I read article about it, the idea of credit check for employment dated back to 90's. The purpose of this is to determine how responsibility prospective employees are, it is not just about access to money. Often, where they usually have bunch of deadlines that employees need to meet. Those with bad credit is a good indicator of poor responsibility. For example a position that oversees the schedules and deals with deadlines on jobs, following up, etc where there is no money access. Employer wants to make sure you are responsibility and ability to meet the deadlines. Employers can not afford mess up with deadlines. Also, often when employer hires somebody, they prefer new employee stay with them for at least 18 months, the longer the better. Those with poor credit usually have shorter employment span which raise red flag as well.

I don't think flipping hamburgers requires credit check.

One of you said how do you find out? Easy, check your credit report. Anytime when anyone access to your credit, credit bureau are required to document and you will find out. That part, will not impact your credit score.

To me, its mixed. It is either good or bad thing.

What if someone gets laid off and can't make payments to his/her credit cards, car loan, mortgage or whatever? You call that poor responsibility?

Back