Could it Be Deaf people are smarter

IMO - To sum it up, Everyone is smart in their OWN way. It doesn't mean that one is better than other. It's just how it is.

Sometime, Ignorance is a bliss and common sense can be over-rated these days but then, what do we do? We go for what we need to enhance ourselves by having a better approach and to improvise our attitude.

It doesn't matter if we're deaf or not, We still have to make the best of it and to keep an open mind.

IMO - To sum it up, Everyone is smart in their OWN way. It doesn't mean that one is better than other. It's just how it is.

Sometime, Ignorance is a bliss and common sense can be over-rated these days but then, what do we do? We go for what we need to enhance ourselves by having a better approach and to improvise our attitude.

It doesn't matter if we're deaf or not, We still have to make the best of it and to keep an open mind.

I agree with you. Sometimes Ignorance can be a curse, sometimes it's not. It all depends upon the situation you're put in.

Actually, the brain can be in fine functioning condition, but there are still variances in abilites. That has nothing to do with being able to hear or not hear. People are simply born with different potential intelligence levels. A person with an IQ of 100, and a person with an IQ of 130 certainly do not posess the same potential intellectually, even though each individual brain is without pathology and functioning at an optimal level. However, these variances are much more within group that between group.

As far as IQ goes, I know of Spearman's g. Is it not just possible, but sufficiently frequent that someone who has extraordinary innate ability for one intelligence might naturally be abysmal with another form of intelligence?

I agree with you. Sometimes Ignorance can be a curse, sometimes it's not. It all depends upon the situation you're put in.

Precisely, but the question is, How do we make it better rather than getting the bad rap for it to make ourselves thinking we're better than anyone else? It isn't all about having a narrow mind or what-a-not but with the dignity, it can be improved with an open mind.

Precisely, but the question is, How do we make it better rather than getting the bad rap for it to make ourselves thinking we're better than anyone else? It isn't all about having a narrow mind or what-a-not but with the dignity, it can be improved with an open mind.

Right and it is a fact that some of the hearing folks have been giving us a bad reputation for centuries, so the question how can we convince them that we're equally good as them in terms of what we can do?

EDIT: I realize that it might be hard to convince the hearing folks. You can just show that you can be in their good graces.

Right and it is a fact that some of the hearing folks have been giving us a bad reputation for centuries, so the question how can we convince them that we're equally good as them in terms of what we can do?

EDIT: I realize that it might be hard to convince the hearing folks. You can just show that you can be in their good graces.

That's what I did growing up with my good grades...so many people expected me not to pass my classes so I studied harder only because I wanted to prove to them that I am not stupid just because I am deaf. Didnt do it for myself when I should have been in the first place.

There are times when I just dont feel like convincing them that I am just as good as they are cuz it seems like many of them are dead set in their beliefs about deaf/hoh people so I ask myself, "why bother?" Yes, that makes me wrong too but I get burnt out from trying to convince them sometimes.

Ohhh I guess I better stop trying to prove how smart I am. :giggle:

I agree with u about there are smart and stupid people in all walks. We are debating a dead issue for the fun of it, huh?

You've already proved it, girl!

As far as IQ goes, I know of Spearman's g. Is it not just possible, but sufficiently frequent that someone who has extraordinary innate ability for one intelligence might naturally be abysmal with another form of intelligence?

Absolutely! I.E. the case of savants. And while we're on the subject, the correlation between "learned" and "intelligent" is very weak.

That's what I did growing up with my good grades...so many people expected me not to pass my classes so I studied harder only because I wanted to prove to them that I am not stupid just because I am deaf. Didnt do it for myself when I should have been in the first place.

There are times when I just dont feel like convincing them that I am just as good as they are cuz it seems like many of them are dead set in their beliefs about deaf/hoh people so I ask myself, "why bother?" Yes, that makes me wrong too but I get burnt out from trying to convince them sometimes.

Right, you don't need to impress anyone not even your deaf peers. I learned that when I started out at RIT years ago.

Right. I learned that it's better to let my actions speak for themselves. I got my fiancee this way.

Could it be in some ways deaf people are smarter than hearing people? Think about it. One never sees deaf people on Judge Judy, Dr. Phil, Maury Povich, Cops ( never a deaf criminal), on any of these reality shows such as Nanny 911 or Super Nanny.

I've seen a deaf woman on Judge Judy. They had to use an interpreter. It was cool.

People are people. Everyone's an individual.

Back