Could it Be Deaf people are smarter

yo2345678

Reaction score
Could it be in some ways deaf people are smarter than hearing people? Think about it. One never sees deaf people on Judge Judy, Dr. Phil, Maury Povich, Cops ( never a deaf criminal), on any of these reality shows such as Nanny 911 or Super Nanny.

Personally, I think we just have more common sense. We know it's better to solve our problems in private then to Shout them out to the world.

Personally, I think we just have more common sense. We know it's better to solve our problems in private then to Shout them out to the world.
Or... deaf people have no common sense?

Or... deaf people have no common sense?

Quoted for Truth.

I have noticed that about most deaf people as well. I have said somewhere that due to being conditioned to deaf schools, their parents did not instill common sense into them, therefore I fault the parents for not teaching them the difference between right and wrong. I also fault some deaftards for not encouraging themselves to learn how to use common sense.

I'm not taking sides here. I think whether deaf or hearing, each have their own share of stupid/intelligent people. Maybe the reason you don't see deaf people on any of these shows lies in the fact that there are far more hearing than there are deaf, thus the chances of a deaf instance to be displayed are greatly decreased.

Quoted for Truth.

I have noticed that about most deaf people as well. I have said somewhere that due to being conditioned to deaf schools, their parents did not instill common sense into them, therefore I fault the parents for not teaching them the difference between right and wrong. I also fault some deaftards for not encouraging themselves to learn how to use common sense.
Yep!

In high school, my parents let me get a job, get a drivers license, go to hearing camp, have no curfew, go out alone with friends, do what I wanted, etc... as long as they were within certain limits.

For instance, I could stay out late... as long as they knew where I was and when I was going to be back. Of course, I never really stayed out overnight since I've obviously got school and I'm still a minor. - I could do what I wanted such as get bloody games, see R-rated movies, etc... since I showed that I knew what was reality and what was made-up. I even worked on my education and didn't do stupid shit like drugs and alcohol.

At the end, I had great common sense. I graduated high school at grade level. I got a full-time job as manager at Blockbuster Video. I am now working on my second degree at RIT.

Thinking about a ratio of stupid-to-smart, I would say among the people I've met it's exactly the same among deaf and hearing people. (And I'm not talking about education level, that's not an indicator of intelligence.)

Quoted for Truth.

Hahaha, thanks for the generalization. What about the hearing population? Did it ever occur to you that even people who aren't deaf lack common sense? Infact I think you fall into that number of people for making such a blatant assumption. Both sides have their share of idiots. Not /most/ of any given side. It's hilarious how you make it sound as almost all deaf people lack common sense and are idiots.

What the fuck is this "deaftards" label you created? It's really annoying certianly offending. Stick with calling someone an idiot instead of slopping two words together to describe the entire populace of them. Oh, maybe all people with loss of a limb are idiots so we can use and justify the label amputee-tard. How about you grow the fuck up, you're in college now not highschool aren't you? Act like it.

I was about to point out that it's completely arrogant to think deaf people have more common sense -- we're all human. Then I come across your post, all thought of disagreeing with the original post goes out the window and it becomes replaced by a mental image of me shouting profanies and clobbering you with a plastic red baseball bat. Bad attempt at humor but you get the point.

Hahaha, thanks for the generalization. What about the hearing population? Did it ever occur to you that even people who aren't deaf lack common sense? Infact I think you fall into that number of people for making such a blatant assumption. Both sides have their share of idiots. Not /most/ of any given side. It's hilarious how you make it sound as almost all deaf people lack common sense and are idiots.

What the fuck is this "deaftards" label you created? It's really annoying certianly offending. Stick with calling someone an idiot instead of slopping two words together to describe the entire populace of them. Oh, maybe all people with loss of a limb are idiots so we can use and justify the label amputee-tard. How about you grow the fuck up, you're in college now not highschool aren't you? Act like it.

I was about to point out that it's completely arrogant to think deaf people have more common sense -- we're all human. Then I come across your post, all thought of disagreeing with the original post goes out the window and it becomes replaced by a mental image of me shouting profanies and clobbering you with a plastic red baseball bat. Bad attempt at humor but you get the point.

^ that's awesome! I wish we had a way of rating each individual post because I'd give yours 5 stars! :h5:

Thinking about a ratio of stupid-to-smart, I would say among the people I've met it's exactly the same among deaf and hearing people. (And I'm not talking about education level, that's not an indicator of intelligence.)

Probably the best answer said so far...

I would have to agree with Interpretrator and sr171soars.

Education is not an indicator of intelligence, in fact I've found many highly educated people become closed-minded and- in turn- stuck in their own beliefs, sticking their noses in the air, unable to admit a fallacy in their own thinking.

[edit] Oh, and in the off chance that anybody cares... TV is 50% crap, 40% advertisements, and 10% useless unbeneficial knowledge these days. I stopped watching it a long time ago. I can get the news from a newspaper, reading is good for you anyway.

Dark-half..your post made me laugh!

I agree with rabbit, darkhalf, and interpreter....the ratio for stupidity to intelligence in the deaf population and hearing population probably comes out abou the same. Also, I told people at my work about the term "deaftards"..they all basically agreed that it is very degrading to deaf people in generally. Whether people r ignorant or not..it has nothing to do with our hearing loss.

Lol, DarkHalf, you sic 'em, man! Oh, and you, too, Interpretator! Nice to see ya btw!

Yep!

In high school, my parents let me get a job, get a drivers license, go to hearing camp, have no curfew, go out alone with friends, do what I wanted, etc... as long as they were within certain limits.

For instance, I could stay out late... as long as they knew where I was and when I was going to be back. Of course, I never really stayed out overnight since I've obviously got school and I'm still a minor. - I could do what I wanted such as get bloody games, see R-rated movies, etc... since I showed that I knew what was reality and what was made-up. I even worked on my education and didn't do stupid shit like drugs and alcohol.

At the end, I had great common sense. I graduated high school at grade level. I got a full-time job as manager at Blockbuster Video. I am now working on my second degree at RIT.

I'm proud of you. You chose the right path in life.

Could it be in some ways deaf people are smarter than hearing people? Think about it. One never sees deaf people on Judge Judy, Dr. Phil, Maury Povich, Cops ( never a deaf criminal), on any of these reality shows such as Nanny 911 or Super Nanny.

Or the fact is that media doesn't want the hassle to hire deaf actors to be on their tv shows. Or deaf people doesn't have balls to get on the show.

Hell, I know that there are many deaf people who have similair problems like hearing on daytime tv show like oprah, dr. phil, etc..

But I do recall that two deaf lebso was on some tv show as they were trying to gene engineer their future baby to be deaf.

I didn't say All or some. You misunderstood. I am sure Vamp would understand what I was getting at.

Or the fact is that media doesn't want the hassle to hire deaf actors to be on their tv shows. Or deaf people doesn't have balls to get on the show.

Hell, I know that there are many deaf people who have similair problems like hearing on daytime tv show like oprah, dr. phil, etc..

But I do recall that two deaf lebso was on some tv show as they were trying to gene engineer their future baby to be deaf.

Right. Maybe hearing people think it's a hassle to hire interpreters, buy TTY and Videophones cause of the costs associated with these things.

Mod Note:

Thread's closed for review--posts may be removed or edited.

Mod Edit:

Thread's re-opened after review--

;) A member here made some comments referring to a certain 'labeling' of the Deaf...no matter if such 'labeling' wasn't referred to 'all', not every member who may have seen it will consider it or view it that way...therefore, do NOT label such culture with the Deaf as that, no matter what the intentions may be, otherwise, such labeling isn't allowed nor will it be tolerated!!

Also, please respect the views and opinions of others, all the belittling will only cause more unnecessary drama and tend to get a thread closed, and possibly bring about warnings or a temporary ban (especially if it continues to escalate)....

~RR

Last edited:

So true! Ever hear the phrase "educated idiot"? Education level often provides people with a false sense of security--they get that degree, and decide they can stop thinking.

Back