Cop "Not Sorry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should Obama meet with Prof. Gates and Officer Crowley?
FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

After the arrest of Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates spiraled into a national debate about race, President Obama is hoping to take things down a notch with a casual meeting at the White House.

The president is scheduled to meet Thursday evening with Professor Gates and the arresting officer — Sgt. James Crowley. The White House says the meeting — which is set to happen at a picnic table outside the Oval Office — is about “having a beer and de-escalation.”

It’s clearly to the president’s advantage if he can take the heat away from this story, get it out of the news, and let the focus return to his priority of health care reform.

Mr. Obama has said he hopes the incident in Cambridge can end up being a “teachable moment” for the country. The president acknowledged that he contributed to the whole incident by saying the police “acted stupidly” without knowing all the facts in the case.

Gates initially called himself the victim of a rogue officer and made allegations of racism; although Friday he said he looks forward to meeting with the president and Crowley. Gates says he hopes this moment can help improve racial relations.

Crowley, who has taught a course on racial profiling for years, stands by his actions; and Cambridge police — who had called on President Obama to apologize — have praised Crowley.

Here’s my question to you: Should President Obama meet at the White House with Professor Gates and Officer Crowley?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

DJ from Walton Beach, Florida writes:
Honestly it seems to me like a waste of time. It seems this nation will always have racial tensions of some sort. This is very small compared to health care, where Obama should be focusing pretty much all of his energy. And I’m not being racist at all; I am a black man.

Esther from Alexandria, Virginia writes:
A man who had proved he was in his own home was arrested anyway by a policeman who didn’t like his attitude. The arrested man has an exemplary record of service through books, public TV series, and teaching. The policeman evidently has an exemplary record too. I applaud Pres. Obama for reducing the whole mess to a beer at the White House. May all our tense confrontations end that way this hot summer. I’m not much of a drinker, but I’ll drink to that.

Yan writes:
Yes. And Obama should apologize to Officer Crowley in person and in public, if he does not want racism to be part of his legacy. The whole race issue over the incident was stirred first by his friend Gates and then by the president himself.

Joe writes:
No. The media has played this into a huge incident. The parties involved probably feel that it has become an important incident. The reality is that this is just a misunderstanding between two men. They both could have handled themselves a little better. But the bottom line is that this was a small incident. Nobody was hurt or killed. No shots were fired. No punches were thrown…. The president has better things to do than insert himself into small disagreements.

Don writes:
Hey, maybe we should all get into a royal rumble with the police and fight it out, then we can have a kegger at the White House.

Craig from Arizona writes:
Well, I guess if Obama doesn’t have anything more pressing. Maybe he could do it once a week. Pick out a couple of guys with a dispute and put it on daytime TV. Instead of Judge Judy, we’ll call it “Let’s Have A Beer” starring Pres. Obama. The revenues from the show could pay for his health care plan.

...Crowley wrote on police report that the 911 Caller is white but Lucia is olive-skinned and Portuguese descent, not white....
As someone who is also of Portuguese descent, I would like to explain that we are indeed "white", meaning Caucasion. Portuguese can tan really well with their olive skin but they are still European whites. They are more akin to southern Italians and Greeks and any other people native to the Mediterranean coast

Portuguese people are not Hispanics either

the police officer writes a report AFTER the arrest. The police officer does not have an immediate access to 911 tape. It is a simple human mistake which is understandable to overlook a small thing such as "2 men" and "2 black men". That is not a fabrication.

Denial :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I am not surprise over your denial because you are well known in AD Forum that you defend Police Officers. You're only listening to one side of the story.

I assume that you don´t bother to read full of the article, I posted a few minutes ago. It´s not just "2 black men" on police report but wrote on police report that he talked 911 Caller Lucia Whalen and described her as white lady. The truth come out that 911 Caller is not white but olive-skinned and Portuguese descent.

Why would Crowley put this on his report that he talked Lucia Whalen outside of Gates’ home when Lucia said that she never talked to Crowley?

And my co-worker heard the audio tape of Officer Crowley´s radio transmissions during the incident, that Gates did not yell or scream.

Both 911 call and the audio from Crowley's radio transmissions during the incident do not support Crowley´s claim.

No, this is not a small thing but worst...

Liars should not to be believed and trusted.

So any other fabrication, Liebling?

See above

and are you telling me you are now fully supporting Gates?

At first I am neutral between Gates and Crowley and fair to say that they both are overreacted until I found the truth about Crowley´s false report this morning, make me change my mind and support Gates.

Do you expect me beleive Crowley´s report over Gates´s ill-manner behavior toward Crowley when the tapes saying that Gates did not yell and scream. I beleive Lucia Whalen´s and Gates´s statement, not Crowley.

^^ Liebling - I'm not interested in what your coworkers said or agreed with.

Because I can´t hear what the tapes of Crowley´s radio saying but my co-workers. :)

If you don´t interesting to know about my co-workers, then don´t post...
:)

I do not need to repeat anything since I learn by this morning that Crowley false the police report accord the article, I posted a few minutes ago is good enough. It´s not my problem that you refuse to see it.

:)

As someone who is also of Portuguese descent, I would like to explain that we are indeed "white", meaning Caucasion. Portuguese can tan really well with their olive skin but they are still European whites. They are more akin to southern Italians and Greeks and any other people native to the Mediterranean coast

Portuguese people are not Hispanics either

Accord to article, I posted, Lucia Whalen´s lawyer correct her client´s skin color that Lucia´s skin is olive, not white because police officer said in his report that Lucia is a white female.

Why Police Officer wrote in report that he talk to 911 Call Lucia when Lucia said that she never talked to him?

Denial :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I am not surprise over your denial because you are well known in AD Forum that you defend Police Officers. You're only listening to one side of the story.

I assume that you don´t bother to read full of the article, I posted a few minutes ago. It´s not just "2 black men" on police report but wrote on police report that he talked 911 Caller Lucia Whalen and described her as white lady. The truth come out that 911 Caller is not white but olive-skinned and Portuguese descent.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I am not surprised by your comment either because you are infamously known to defend ANY people against authority regardless of their fault.

I'm only listening to one side of the story? then why did I post transcripts? Again - I read all and I have concluded that Crowley did the best he can and nothing he did was illegal.

Should Gates have been respectful and cooperative? yes. he was an idiot not to do so.

Should Gates have been arrested? nah not necessary but again - it was not illegal to arrest him.

Sgt. Crowley lied on his report: Whalen's attorney

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Daily Kos is a reliable source.
I'm sorry but no. Daily Kos is a heavily biased source. Please show me the source from major news source.

They pick the words from police officer´s report and Gates´s statement...[/COLOR]
Yes. They picked the words from Crowley's report and Gates' statement... and distorted it. misinterpreted it. took it out of context.

The problem here is people like Liebling don't understand why cops do things the way they do, so because they don't understand it, they think it's wrong. In reality, many decades of experience among thousands of police departments determines the way they do things. That experience trumps the inability of a non-cop to understand.

Perhaps people should interpret their inability to understand police procedures not as evidence that the procedures are wrong, but as evidence that they lack knowledge about the realities of police work.

I used to work for Police Criminal Unit in London and withnessed everyday what and how police officers did.

Yes, it´s very hard for me to understand US police officer´s manner way. It explains why many Americans disrespect Police officers and have First and Fourth amendment protects them from police officer´s unreasonable treatment.

I'm sorry but no. Daily Kos is a heavily biased source. Please show me the source from major news source.

No, Daily Kos pick plenty of sources to support their point. You can click "orange" word to open and read.

Yes. They picked the words from Crowley's report and Gates' statement... and distorted it. misinterpreted it. took it out of context.

They did not misinterpreted Crowley and Gates´s words but pasted exact what Crowley and Gates wrote in their statement.

please read post #66, 67. The officer had probable cause and with that, it is not a violation of Fourth Amendment nor it is illegal as dictated by U.S. Supreme Court.

The state of Mass. disagrees with you, that´s why the charges were dropped immediately. :)

Gates call: Witness unsure she sees crime
Released dispatch recording reveals caller did not describe race to 911

BOSTON - The 911 caller who reported two men possibly breaking into the home of black Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. did not describe their race, acknowledged they might just be having a hard time with the door and said she saw two suitcases on the porch.

Cambridge police on Monday released the 911 recording and radio transmissions from the scene in an effort to show they had nothing to hide, but the tapes raised new questions about how and why the situation escalated.

Gates' July 16 arrest on a disorderly conduct charge sparked a national debate about whether the professor was a victim of racial profiling. Gates, returning from a trip to China, and his driver had forced their way through the front door because it was jammed, and the charge was later dropped.

In her 911 call, Lucia Whalen, who works at the Harvard alumni magazine, repeatedly tells the operator she is not sure what is happening.

Caller notices suitcase, not race

Speaking calmly, she tells the operator that she was stopped by an elderly woman who told her she noticed two men trying to get into a house. Whalen initially says she saw two men pushing on the door, but later says one of the men entered the home and she didn't get a good look at him. She says she noticed two suitcases.

"I don't know if they live there and they just had a hard time with their key. But I did notice they used their shoulder to try to barge in and they got in. I don't know if they had a key or not, 'cause I couldn't see from my angle," Whalen says.

She does not mention the race of the men until pressed by a dispatcher to describe them.

"Um, well, there were two larger men," Whalen says. "One looked kind of Hispanic, but I'm not really sure. And the other one entered and I didn't see what he looked like at all. I just saw it from a distance and this older woman was worried, thinking, 'Someone's been breaking in someone's house. They've been barging in.'"

The officer who arrested Gates, Sgt. James Crowley, said in his police report that he talked to Whalen soon after he arrived at Gates' home. "She went on to tell me that she observed what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the porch," Crowley wrote in his report.

Whalen's attorney, Wendy Murphy, said her client never mentioned the men's race to Crowley and is upset by news reports she believes have unfairly depicted her as a racist.

"She doesn't live in the area. She is by no means the entitled white neighbor. ... That has been the theme in the blogs and the implication in some of the mainstream news media," Murphy said in a phone interview Monday.

Gates loses his temper

In his written report, Crowley said Gates became angry when he told him he was investigating a report of a break-in, then yelled at him and called him a racist.

In a radio communication with a dispatcher, also released Monday, Crowley said Gates was not cooperating.

"I'm up with a gentleman, says he resides here, but was uncooperative, but keep the cars coming," Crowley said.

Another voice can be heard in the background of the transmission, but it is unintelligible and unclear if it is Gates.

Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas acknowledged that the police report contains a reference to race, but said the report is merely a summary of events.

Gates did not immediately return an e-mail message, and his spokesman did not return e-mail and telephone messages.

Crowley could not be reached for comment. A message left at the police station was not returned, and no one answered the phone at his Natick home.

Professor's supporters outraged

The professor's supporters called his arrest an outrageous act of racial profiling. Crowley's supporters say Gates was arrested because he was belligerent and that race was not a factor.

Interest in the case intensified when President Barack Obama said at a White House news conference last week that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates. He later tried to quell the uproar about his comments and invited both Gates and Crowley to the White House for a beer, a meeting that could happen this week, according to the White House.

David Kennedy, director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said he did not think the latest revelations related to the 911 call would change many opinions on the case.

"My guess is that that adds nothing to the conviction of black Americans that the cops like to lie a lot. It's just another example of something they already thoroughly believe, and that if it affects the views of those who generally trust the police, it would affect it in a very small way at most."

Gates call: Witness unsure she sees crime - Race & ethnicity- msnbc.com

theroot.com is a biased source. :roll:

just because gate said it doesn't make it fact either. he was angry over being arrested. i would have been too...

We should have both sides of every story, not one side. I can see from the posts that they take one side story of police officer, not Gates, that´s why I posted Gates´s side of story then we have both sides of the story. It´s their own statements.

I used to work for Police Criminal Unit in London and withnessed everyday what and how police officers did.

Yes, it´s very hard for me to understand US police officer´s manner way. It explains why many Americans disrespect Police officers and have First and Fourth amendment protects them from police officer´s unreasonable treatment.
Were you an officer or something of the sort? I'm curious why you would think the officer, given the information he had, should have assumed Gates was the resident before he had 100% certainty.

We should have both sides of every story, not one side. I can see from the posts that they take one side story of police officer, not Gates, that´s why I posted Gates´s side of story then we have both sides of the story. It´s their own statements.

then please post both sides from authentic, major news source like I did.... not from biased site with specific agenda.

from Liebling source:
RealityCheck10 - I've tried really hard to be objective in forming my opinion in this matter, so after reading the narratives of Sgt. Crowley and Officer Carlos Figueroa in the police report, I came here to read Professor Gate's account. As the details-- who said what and when-- are almost always remembered differently by the participants in such events, I believe that determining the truth is usually a matter reading between the lines. With this in mind I was very surprised that the professor did such a poor job in "calibrating" his remarks so as not to directly support a key part of the story told by both officers: That his attitude during the encounter was that the officers had no idea who they were "messing with," and that he was an exceptional and powerful black man with friends in high places, including "the Chief."

From the start of this wholly self-aggrandizing interview--- where Gates says he was "astonished" that this could happen to him, details his jet-setting and "direct flight" back from exotic foreign lands, and repeatedly characterizes the operator of the taxi he came home in as "my driver,"--- all the way through to the end, where he states " I would sooner have believed the sky was going to fall from the heavens than I would have believed this could happen to ME" (emphasis mine), Gates managed to make a most convincing argument that he is a pompous ass, and that the Cambridge police officers are very likely to be telling the truth.

This buffoon is an embarrassment to Harvard, and now, almost incredibly it would seem, to the president of the United States and the leader of the free world.

Nice work Professor!
been reading the comments there. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back