Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
Sure, the war is over, but Southern pride will never die. Years ago, Pres. Carter restored the citizenship to Confederate President Jefferson Davis. *grins*

Yes and I want to note that Pres. Gerald Ford restored the citizenship of General Lee in 1975 which was long overdue. Both Confederate President Jefferson Davis and General Lee was not awarded the Citizenship after the Civil War. President Andrews refused to restore citizenship to them two and General Longstreet I believe.

Source for General Lee's citizenship: General Robert E. Lee's Parole and Citizenship

Source for Jefferson Davis: Jimmy Carter: Restoration of Citizenship Rights to Jefferson F. Davis Statement on Signing S. J. Res. 16 into Law.

Ya know, Calvin, it has happened to my school. The Confederate flag were somewhat banned in my ex-high school.

Ya know, Calvin, it has happened to my school. The Confederate flag were somewhat banned in my ex-high school.

Not surprised. I guess the school administrator doesn't want a controversy in their hands. and not having a violence in school when people get upset/offended with Confederate symbols.

As some of you know Students are not allowed to show confederate symbols to school such as t-shirt, purse, backpack, etc. Would you guys agree to this? Of course it shows heritage and history. On the other hand, some are offended as it was viewed as racism as school officials see it.

Not all Confederates are bad, there is some good people fought for the Confederacy. And I should note that in 3 years will be the 150 years of the Civil War which started in April 1861. I'm sure there will be a big Civil War reenactment event when it comes to 150 years.
I have a Confederate flag. Does that make me a bad person? :(

I want to share this article. What do you think about the Confederate Flag that is being proposed in Florida? The idea is to have "Confederate Heritage" noted on the license plate.

Lawmaker wants Confederate flag specialty plate in Fla.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) A Panhandle lawmaker wants a ''Confederate Heritage'' license plate to join the 109 specialty tags already available in Florida.

The extra $25 motorists would pay for the tag would go to educational programs run by Sons of Confederate Veterans, graveyard maintenance and museum exhibits.

Rep. Donald Brown, R-DeFuniak Springs, filed the bill (HB 1007) last week. The plate would feature a shield displaying the rebel battle flag symbol surrounded by several flags from the Civil War era. He says it would give motorists a way to show pride in their heritage.

Brown says his bill has nothing to do with race. He pointed out that he filed another bill that would rename part of a highway in Walton County after black civil rights leader the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Confederate Heritage License Plate

I have a Confederate flag. Does that make me a bad person? :(

No, it doesn't mean your bad person :) Those who has the flag sometime represent Confederate descendants or showing pride for the South, or Civil War fans and buffs.

I want to share this article. What do you think about the Confederate Flag that is being proposed in Florida? The idea is to have "Confederate Heritage" noted on the license plate.

Confederate Heritage License Plate

Ah that's interesting as it was mentioned earlier in this thread, Mississippi is the only state that have Confederate symbol on the state flag. Seem Florida is following with the heritage and South pride. Will it pass? We'll see :)

Last edited:
No, it doesn't mean your bad person :) Those who has the flag sometime represent Confederate descendants or showing pride for the South, or Civil War fans and buffs.

Ah that's interesting as it was mentioned earlier in this thread, Mississippi is the only state that have Confederate symbol on the state flag. Seem Florida is following with the heritage and South pride. Will it pass? We'll see :)
What about those who like The Dukes of Hazzard?

Georgia is used had confederate symbol on their flag but not anymore because they changed into new flag with different symbol.

Because it was considered racist.

It can be way like that but Georgia is growing more minorities, mainly are black (mostly from migrate/offspring) and latino and when I was visit in Atlanta, it's alot change from 90's because more latino are move in Atlanta metro, that's alot of them for sure. I feel that Atlanta would end up like Dallas or Phoenix due growing more latino community.

I want to note that the "Southern Cross" Confederate flag is very well known but that flag is not the only flag that was existed during the Civil War.

There are 3 flags aside from the Southern Cross flag that were adopted by the CSA (Confederate States of America).

Confederate Flags of the Old South

This is also interesting. Some states have their flags in a cross-style which also represents the confederate southern cross flag.

Confederate Flags of the New South

What about those who like The Dukes of Hazzard?

IMO I think the Dukes of Hazzard show is some sort of entertainment. I did not see anything wrong or offensive in that popular tv show of the 80's. They do have black actors as guest stars in some episode. I've heard some controversy on the show because the General Lee have Confederate flag painted on the rooftop. I don't see any negativity or any racism in that show and it is rated "G" for all ages to watch :)

IMO I think the Dukes of Hazzard show is some sort of entertainment. I did not see anything wrong or offensive in that popular tv show of the 80's. They do have black actors as guest stars in some episode. I've heard some controversy on the show because the General Lee have Confederate flag painted on the rooftop. I don't see any negativity or any racism in that show and it is rated "G" for all ages to watch :)
I've met a few people who actually thought that The Dukes of Hazzard was a pro-KKK show. :roll:

Confederate black troops??.....something is amiss....context surely missing. fighting for 'Massa' or face hanging?
In my eyes the ugliness of the racism-hangings etc. ... overshadows the heritage and whatever else. And always will....bury the ugliness. Move on. Burn the flag. JMO.
It's like the Native Americans desire to eradicate violent native images from sports teams. It serves a stereotypical image that is deemed better off out of sight.
Move on....the south lost.
Yes black troops were involve Confederate troops. thats what I read book.

HA that is a jumble of states. I live in Polk County Florida and I gotta tell you, it's very "southern" here. I've never seen so many trucks with lift kits and gators stickers in the back window!!!

I am in your neighboring county! Alot of good ol' country boys and gals here .

You may call them "Rednecks," Schermy.

The same Rednecks *like me* believe the flag is heritage.

lol I drive one of the trucks with tailpipes and a lift kit. With rebel flag tag on the front. Just about everyone in Polk and Hardee has at least one truck in their household. :giggle:

Born and raised in the south. "get-er-done"

Yes, here is some story to that:

Black soldiers with the Confederacy

and

Home (Book)
Cal, Thank you for provide the links. I want to keep Confederate history around here what teaching people, not black only, in general. Confederate history find something interested in me already. However I feeling sad for blacks are misunderstanding Confederate's symbol and aren't aware that blacks had involved Confederate troops to war others. I don't let them turn away from Confederate history is still glory in USA! ;)

Ah thought 'twas the "Woah Between the States" . . . pay attention when I'm talkin' to ya, boy.

Remember Foghorn Leghorn chiding little Henry, the ambitious chicken hawk? That was my first clue people from the south (that's anywhere below Dillon, Montana, on the map) didn't cotton to the term "Civil War."

Besides "War Between the States," I've also heard "War of Northern Aggression." I love equivocations.

Montana's first settlers of European heritage were Texans looking for cattle range where the cow tick couldn't survive. Lots of their post blue-gray conflict clothing and speech patterns are still alive in the far north.

Cal, Thank you for provide the links. I want to keep Confederate history around here what teaching people, not black only, in general. Confederate history find something interested in me already. However I feeling sad for blacks are misunderstanding Confederate's symbol and aren't aware that blacks had involved Confederate troops to war others. I don't let them turn away from Confederate history is still glory in USA! ;)

Your welcome and yes some people need to research more on Confederacy history and symbol. I know it has been controversial issues since the Civil War. The racism and slavery has been around for long before even in the North. There is blacks that helped defend the Confederate whether they're slaves or freed. The tradition and pride has remained strong for some of the Southerners.

Yep. Even now there are black Civil War reenactors on both sides when they relive the ceremonies, camp outs, and famous battles.

Oops! . . . I live South Carolina; it's not called the Civil War here. It was "The Latest Unpleasantness."

Yes I've heard there is more Civil War reenactors since in a few years it will be 150th anniversary of the attack at Fort Sumter and the start of the Civil War. In those famous battles there would be several big events to come in a few years when 150 years arrives.

Back