Comcast to limit customers' broadband usage

Found a link about Time-Warner's Internet usage limitation which starts real soon... it's real BAD news for those who use Time-Warner, indeed!

Time Warner's Internet Bandwidth Meter Trial

In short...

* 5, 10, 20, and 40 GB per month limit and will be charged for $1 per one GB once reaching over the limit each mo! :shock:

It's definitely way too low for the deaf users esp using vp, ouch! It affects NTID/RIT students.

* Depends on whichever subscription plan that one pays for, I think.

Comcast users has 250 GB per mo limit which is plenty... so notice the difference with Time-Warner's 5-10-20-40 GB!

Comcast did the same thing for trial. So if it happens to me, I would file complaint to FCC that TW have no right to restrict Broadband on Deafie because we need enough broadband to use VP without being charged over the cap.

If that happens to any of you. Just file complaint to FCC. If many deafie complain to FCC, they'll implement ruling that Cable Co cannot cap Broadband usage on Deafie. They would only need to request Audiogram to sastify them. So please don't be afraid to file complaint. All deaf community must stand up against Cable Co's cap plan.

Remember FCC fined Comcast for blocking users trying to download P2P files. So now Comcast just "throttle" the speed when they find out user using P2P which is fine with FCC as long as it's not too low. So filing complaint to FCC is enough.

Catty

This is bad bad bad idea.

Especially if customers are using wireless connection,,,, watch out!!! It is going to open up to hackers breaking in and steal bandwidth. I am opposed to this!

Right now I have wireless, and I am going to shut down as soon as the meter is installed, grrr. I am considering calling DSL to see what deal they got to offer.

Comcast did the same thing for trial. So if it happens to me, I would file complaint to FCC that TW have no right to restrict Broadband on Deafie because we need enough broadband to use VP without being charged over the cap.

If that happens to any of you. Just file complaint to FCC. If many deafie complain to FCC, they'll implement ruling that Cable Co cannot cap Broadband usage on Deafie. They would only need to request Audiogram to sastify them. So please don't be afraid to file complaint. All deaf community must stand up against Cable Co's cap plan.

Remember FCC fined Comcast for blocking users trying to download P2P files. So now Comcast just "throttle" the speed when they find out user using P2P which is fine with FCC as long as it's not too low. So filing complaint to FCC is enough.

Catty

I agree about TWC. I dislike cap plan. NAD (National Association for the Deaf) should complain to FCC for eliminating cap plan of some cable and DSL service providers for hearing impaired customers only.

Yes, what a relievation, BUT they said temporarily shelved the plan. Damn it, I still hope they will scrap the plan.

Right now, the speed on our Internet infrastructure is embarassely too low!

Please ignore the download speed, especially for you Deafies who use videophone alot. Pay attention to Upload speed. Usually ISP won't advertise the truth about upload speed. The will, if you ask them. Usually it is 385KBPS. That is enough for just one VP at a time.

If you want the best Internet service, move to Japan!

I agree about TWC. I dislike cap plan. NAD (National Association for the Deaf) should complain to FCC for eliminating cap plan of some cable and DSL service providers for hearing impaired customers only.

There's no cap limit on DSL but only for cable internet.

My DSL don't have any cap, neither is att and Verizon.

Yes, what a relievation, BUT they said temporarily shelved the plan. Damn it, I still hope they will scrap the plan.

Right now, the speed on our Internet infrastructure is embarassely too low!

Please ignore the download speed, especially for you Deafies who use videophone alot. Pay attention to Upload speed. Usually ISP won't advertise the truth about upload speed. The will, if you ask them. Usually it is 385KBPS. That is enough for just one VP at a time.

If you want the best Internet service, move to Japan!

Yup it's typical of slow upload speed.

Word of Warning, If anyone have Everest Cable or SureWest Cable ( affiliated of Everest). Avoid at all cost. They throttles download speed. I had one for three years and were unhappy about it. I had 256kbps basic speed when I first got it then years later they upgraded to all customer 512kpbs. Either speed I had still suck and it was downloading 72kpbs to be exact no matter if I use Windoz box or Tuxbox. I mess with ethernet and cable and even I called Evererst to replace cable outside of my house. I still get damn 72kpbs. Until I called Tech service and had a heated discussion and finally they admitted they restricted speed. I asked you mean if I order 1mbps package, I get 1/4 of the speed!!?? He said yeah that's correct.

Immediately I told my wife I want to switch to Road Runner with 3 tier package. So we did and I was very happy to see 784kpbs but it occasionally go over 850kpbs.

So Avoid Everest or SureWest at ALL cost, As they advertise speed, they're a fraud!! I don't believe in speedtest at all if they direct me to!!

Catty

Some report:

I would like to share good news for everyone especially deaf people in NY who were worried about limited usage of internet from Time Warner that would prevent from them using video phone. Now they do not have to worry about dealing with meter bandwidth now in Time Warner because Time Warner got the message that limiting bandwidth usage is not an option.

However fight for internet freedom is not over yet.

Save the Internet Blog » Blog Archive » Score the First Round for the Public

Yup it's typical of slow upload speed.

Word of Warning, If anyone have Everest Cable or SureWest Cable ( affiliated of Everest). Avoid at all cost. They throttles download speed. I had one for three years and were unhappy about it. I had 256kbps basic speed when I first got it then years later they upgraded to all customer 512kpbs. Either speed I had still suck and it was downloading 72kpbs to be exact no matter if I use Windoz box or Tuxbox. I mess with ethernet and cable and even I called Evererst to replace cable outside of my house. I still get damn 72kpbs. Until I called Tech service and had a heated discussion and finally they admitted they restricted speed. I asked you mean if I order 1mbps package, I get 1/4 of the speed!!?? He said yeah that's correct.

Immediately I told my wife I want to switch to Road Runner with 3 tier package. So we did and I was very happy to see 784kpbs but it occasionally go over 850kpbs.

So Avoid Everest or SureWest at ALL cost, As they advertise speed, they're a fraud!! I don't believe in speedtest at all if they direct me to!!

Catty

I will plan to order increasing speed network over 512 k upload in my Time Warner Cable soon because reason of having few different videphones in my household.

Back