Comcast to limit customers' broadband usage

250 GB per month limitation might be enough room for the most Comcast users, I believe. So I shouldn't worry about it either.

100 MB = 1 GB

250 GB = 25,000 MB (250 GB x 100 MB)

I think this is correction figure unless I may be wrong here, anybody?

250 GB per month limitation might be enough room for the most Comcast users, I believe. So I shouldn't worry about it either.

100 MB = 1 GB

250 GB = 25,000 MB (250 GB x 100 MB)

I think this is correction figure unless I may be wrong here, anybody?

No, 1024MB = 1GB, so it is 256,000MB for 250GB.

Comcast Anyone?

I don't know if I'm in right thread. If not, please forgive me! Let me info you about Comcast. I saw on website said that Comcast had put 250 GB cap on Residential High Speed Internet Service. It had start in effect several months ago, October 1, 2008. It caught my eyes and think about Comcast customer who use SVRS, HOVRS, VVRS (Viable), CSDVRS and other vrs provider. If any of Comcast customer use over than 250 GB many times, Comcast will terminate the account and stay off for one year then customer can come back a year later. :eek3:

I'm just curious how react deafies is about Comcast...

I think you should call them because your case is little different than people who illegally download media off from the internet, your point is valid, tell them you might need more than that or maybe not

I read that article last year. I am not convinced about it. It's hard for me to say that it is a good or not because I haven't read the fine print. I'm off the hook and use my old Cox service for now.

Actually, Comcast is very huge company. I probably better off to stick with Cox, AT&T, and other services.

I think you should call them because your case is little different than people who illegally download media off from the internet, your point is valid, tell them you might need more than that or maybe not

Ah, I'm not call them. I'm not Comcast customer. I'm Verizon DSL customer ;) I don't really know if they will do that for deaf customers with videophone. Illegally download media? Yeah I know about that issues... Oh well...

I read that article last year. I am not convinced about it. It's hard for me to say that it is a good or not because I haven't read the fine print. I'm off the hook and use my old Cox service for now.

Actually, Comcast is very huge company. I probably better off to stick with Cox, AT&T, and other services.

There's actually the fine print. I heard that Cox service is good.. My cable service is STINK! CableOne. Many of my friends here in Sherman who use CableOne Cable Modem for VP and many of them complain that it slow speed. I already warn them when they got VP not to get CableOne. Because there's fine print which say that if continuously download for more than 30 minutes or so the speed will automatically decrease. Stupid policy huh? I'd stick with Verizon DSL and look forward Verizon FiOS!!!

Our family is a COX customer and often sees our bandwidth exceeds more than 150GB per month.

We mainly use for Videophones, World of Warcraft, Internet TV and also iTunes. COX never send us anything relating to excessive usage or whatsnot. Perhaps 150GB per household is a normal thing

My Earthlink Cable doesn't have restrictions, it's the ISP provided thru comcast to use Earthlink internet service.

There's actually the fine print. I heard that Cox service is good.. My cable service is STINK! CableOne. Many of my friends here in Sherman who use CableOne Cable Modem for VP and many of them complain that it slow speed. I already warn them when they got VP not to get CableOne. Because there's fine print which say that if continuously download for more than 30 minutes or so the speed will automatically decrease. Stupid policy huh? I'd stick with Verizon DSL and look forward Verizon FiOS!!!

I used to have a D-Link 604, and it was not worth it. It is not just 10/100 ethernet port - it does not matter how fast it is in this machine. Now, I have a wired D-Link GamerLounge (DGL-4100), and this machine improved a lot because it contains a gigabit router. I know it won't go over that high speed, but somehow it runs smoother especially on videophones. I just wanted to let you know about it. (A wireless router is not my type thing for me.)

Mod Note:

Thread's merged. :thumb:

My parents used to use Comcast. Now, they use Roadrunner. I use Roadrunner too. :)

After reading the link regarding about the metered pricing for Internet usage which cause more deaf videophone users to consider about... there is the latest news from Rochester at:

www.WHEC.com - Deaf community reacts to Time Warner metered pricing

So I popped to check my Comcast bill to see if there is any note about the Internet usage (metered pricing) but was quite surprised that it ain't even mentioned in the Comcast bill at all... I really think that the Comcast users should be informed to be aware no matter whatever, you know.

Although, it doesn't really consider me because I don't use videophone too much like some others do, and that the Comcast usage limitation is not too tight like what we discussed in this thread before, however.

But still it might be a mere consideration for the deaf community especially the videophone plus Internet usage in the near future (and now for some). Now Times Warner starts to charge as the news in the link (above) announced.

Time Warner meter internet Charge Deaf?

Time Warner meter internet will charge pricing for deaf customers in using VP?

Time Warner Cable in the Rochester area will be implementing metered pricing. When that happens, those who use videophones could be priced out of using them. Watching online videos like Hulu and YouTube adds up as well. Some downloadable videos are in the megabytes, while downloaded DVD movies can be about 4-8 gigabytes.

www.WHEC.com - Deaf community reacts to Time Warner metered pricing

Some cable company charge more for deaf?

We should complain petitions to FCC for eliminating meter internet service for hearing impaired customers.

Then, you can switch to another service and screw Comcast Company. Good Luck!

Comcast's metered pricing is not the problem for the most customers, actually. Read the rest of the past posts in this thread about Comcast's so you would get the better draft then.

I'm satisfied with the Comcast Internet service but not its TV service... assume the same thing with others who use it.

But it sounds like it's mere a real problem for the Time Warner's deaf customers there... yet we need to know what their limitation of Internet usage is. Rochester deaf customers who use TW are very upset about it, however.

Found a link about Time-Warner's Internet usage limitation which starts real soon... it's real BAD news for those who use Time-Warner, indeed!

Time Warner's Internet Bandwidth Meter Trial

In short...

* 5, 10, 20, and 40 GB per month limit and will be charged for $1 per one GB once reaching over the limit each mo! :shock:

It's definitely way too low for the deaf users esp using vp, ouch! It affects NTID/RIT students.

* Depends on whichever subscription plan that one pays for, I think.

Comcast users has 250 GB per mo limit which is plenty... so notice the difference with Time-Warner's 5-10-20-40 GB!

Back