Comcast to limit customers' broadband usage

Could you tell me how you came across this numbers? The number I got for 100 hours of video usage at 384Kbps setting is 16.48 GB..

Assume 384Kbps which is 0.046875MB per second (correction 0.375 MB per second)
60 seconds = 2.8125MB
1 hour = 168.75MB
5 hours = 843.75MB
100 Hours (20 days) = 16875MB or 16.48GB

Far nowhere at 184GB usage. Again, assume 512Kbps setting: 21.97GB usage.

Interesting - here my calculation

I did KB all the way. I am 512kb user upload and download for videophone. At finalized answer, then I use link to convert a true number from KB to GB. Here my work below...

512 kb x 60 seconds = 30,720 kb per minute (30 MB per minute)

30,720 kb x 60 minutes = 1,843,200 kb per hour (1843.2 MB or 1.843 GB)

1,843,200 kb x 5 hours = 9,216,000 kb per day (9.216 GB)

9,216,000 KB x 20 days = 184,320,000 kb (one month of business days)

Using convertion from this link Byte Converter

184320000 kb = 175.78125 GB as my final answer...

Does that answer your question how I concluded my answer?

This is just an example of 100 hours of videophone a month at 512k. Now you are left with less than 71.22 GB to use for other things.

Now a question... if people use Roku Netflix, will they hit cap too? I dont have calculations for Netflix's roku instant watch streaming video to your TV. Videophone usage and Netflix instant watch will push you over the limit easily.

What should I do I have a Netflix Roku Player Which Streams Movies a Tivo, Comcast Phone, Internet I download a few Animations a month
I just Downloaded netstat Live and realize that it will not be accurate because when my Computer is off my Roku Player is Streaming What should I do

Good question... I wonder too. I just did calculation only for 100 hours of Videophone usage. I think you can do 1 or 2 Netflix videos on TV along with minimum emails.

I think you are confusing Kb with KB.. Kilobit (abbreviated to kb with a lower case b) is sometimes confused with the term kilobyte (abbreviated to kB or KB with an upper case B).

1 KB = 8Kb.. Your numbers is 8 times higher than it should be.

Interesting - here my calculation

I did KB all the way. I am 512kb user upload and download for videophone. At finalized answer, then I use link to convert a true number from KB to GB. Here my work below...

512 kb x 60 seconds = 30,720 kb per minute (30 MB per minute)

30,720 kb x 60 minutes = 1,843,200 kb per hour (1843.2 MB or 1.843 GB)

1,843,200 kb x 5 hours = 9,216,000 kb per day (9.216 GB)

9,216,000 KB x 20 days = 184,320,000 kb (one month of business days)

Using convertion from this link Byte Converter

184320000 kb = 175.78125 GB as my final answer...

Does that answer your question how I concluded my answer?

This is just an example of 100 hours of videophone a month at 512k. Now you are left with less than 71.22 GB to use for other things.

Now a question... if people use Roku Netflix, will they hit cap too? I dont have calculations for Netflix's roku instant watch streaming video to your TV. Videophone usage and Netflix instant watch will push you over the limit easily.

I think you are confusing Kb with KB.. Kilobit (abbreviated to kb with a lower case b) is sometimes confused with the term kilobyte (abbreviated to kB or KB with an upper case B).

1 KB = 8Kb.. Your numbers is 8 times higher than it should be.

I just googled up and try to see your point. Interesting facts. I have never heard of that until today.

So any bits to bytes is based on 8 bites to 1 bytes.

Why did they make that rule? That what confuse all of us. I have never heard of kilobites until you mentioned. In fact, it was not easy to find by google when it keep correcting my spelling.

I just googled up and try to see your point. Interesting facts. I have never heard of that until today.

Why did they make that rule? That what confuse all of us. I have never heard of kilobites until you mentioned. In fact, it was not easy to find by google when it keep correcting my spelling.

:giggle: Yeah Many people are confused. You are not only the one.

USB High speed (USB 2.0)
480 Mbit/s
60 MB/s

Firewire 400 (IEEE 1394)
400 Mbit/s
50 MB/s

Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394b)
800 Mbit/s
100 MB/s

Megabit is referring to data transfer rates.

I like to said Mbit/s over Mb to avoid from the confuse. Never said mb/s or kb/s if you talk about Mbit/s or Kilobit/s

:giggle: Yeah Many people are confused. You are not only the one.

USB High speed (USB 2.0)
480 Mbit/s
60 MB/s

Firewire 400 (IEEE 1394)
400 Mbit/s
50 MB/s

Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394b)
800 Mbit/s
100 MB/s

Megabit is referring to data transfer rates.

I like to said Mbit/s over Mb to avoid from the confuse. Never said mb/s or kb/s if you talk about Mbit/s or Kilobit/s

Now I am curious... N router and A/G Routers... what their true speed?

bit is based on 1 and 0 (binary) which only have 1 value. Byte has 8 bits which have value of between 0 and 255. One ASCII letter is one byte.

Good article to read about this.. Programmer's Corner - A Bit of Logic: Understanding Bytes and Bits

Or this is easier to understand: Solutions - Understanding Bits and Bytes

guess some of us need to stop using these strange technologies!!!

too much for me to learn I had to set up my VP at my mother's house due of no dsl or highspeed available at my home!! since I have got promoted at my work so some of my staff rely on the VP due of their ASL not understanding thru email/text/any mobiles devices/ any instant messages..
If thats what Its gonna run up my mother's bill I am not going to be pleased to have it installed last week!

I barely can NOT get any DSL or Highspeed due of not available they keep tell me another 24 months or so etc.. enuff for me to have these postpones!

my daughter isnt allow to use youtubes cos she ran up my verizonwireless bills I had to take my laptop or just my modem devices with me when I am not at home! so far my gb is now 3! i have 2 gb left till Sept 14th.. eww!

i still have no clue idea how much of gb my mother has left but luckily I don't use VP much like most of you do because I will have to drive over to my mom so far I have use about 1 hour using it since it has been install WHEW thats good deal for me :)

I remember I saw download is 45GB but upload is 5 GB !!! really both upload / download are 250GB?

I am confused what exactly this article are talking about, I am using the Comcast... Aren't they cutting my speed on the internet and cost me the same bills??

If so, I am quitting on Comcast! :mad2:

I am confused what exactly this article are talking about, I am using the Comcast... Aren't they cutting my speed on the internet and cost me the same bills??

No they are not cutting your speed, they are just posing limit on how much you are permit to download per month.. 250GB per month is very generous amount of bandwidth for majority of users like ourselves. My ISP (Cox) is limited to 40GB each month but they are not enforced.

It's talking about Comcast putting a cap on the bandwidth usage to 250GB a month. If you go over that, they will give you a notice, and if you go over 250GB twice in 6 months, they will terminate your account.

But really 250GB a month is way plenty, and as a Comcast customer, I'm not worried because I don't use VP much and if I do, only lasts few mins. I'm not a gamer, sometime I view youtube videos. I don't think I'll be able to go over that limit so I should be fine.

No they are not cutting your speed, they are just posing limit on how much you are permit to download per month.. 250GB per month is very generous amount of bandwidth for majority of users like ourselves. My ISP (Cox) is limited to 40GB each month but they are not enforced.

It's talking about Comcast putting a cap on the bandwidth usage to 250GB a month. If you go over that, they will give you a notice, and if you go over 250GB twice in 6 months, they will terminate your account.

But really 250GB a month is way plenty, and as a Comcast customer, I'm not worried because I don't use VP much and if I do, only lasts few mins. I'm not a gamer, sometime I view youtube videos. I don't think I'll be able to go over that limit so I should be fine.

Oh gotcha, phew! I am staying on the Comcast I guess, thank you guys for making it clear :)

Ouch that cap is gonna hurt a bunch of deaf folks that have more than one VP on same ISP account example deaf roommates each have their own VP or deaf husband and wife with each their own VPs and they all share same ISP account to save money.

Unless they don't use VP much then maybe it'll be fine but if they do use VP a lot then probably have to find an other provider with no cap.

Also roommates that like to play online gaming or download legal movies like Netflix etc will have to get their own ISP account and Comcast will be forced to add more cables into apartments etc for each own roommate connections.

250GB/mo is more than enough.. it can handle hundreds of hours of VP usage without reaching this cap limitation..

P2P downloads such movies is usually not a problem, most full length movie is about 700MB. You would have to download SO MANY movies in order to reach that limit.

Honestly, I feel that 250GB is a lot more than most ISP offered.. My Cox ISP has cap of 40GB per month and I probably excess that so many times cuz of p2p but they are not enforcing the caps.

Ouch that cap is gonna hurt a bunch of deaf folks that have more than one VP on same ISP account example deaf roommates each have their own VP or deaf husband and wife with each their own VPs and they all share same ISP account to save money.

Unless they don't use VP much then maybe it'll be fine but if they do use VP a lot then probably have to find an other provider with no cap.

Also roommates that like to play online gaming or download legal movies like Netflix etc will have to get their own ISP account and Comcast will be forced to add more cables into apartments etc for each own roommate connections.

Bandwidth Calculator

enter file size to 250 and click GB you'll see how long it takes.... it looks plenty of time.

So if you only use VP and to get to 250GB that takes forever to get to that point, maybe in 200 hours. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, and also I know it depends on user's VP speed settings as well.

Back