Cold Deaf Community

I still don't make new friends in Florida yet since I moved down here from Alaska last July of this year. My boyfriend is still my best friend ever since. :)

I think that my previous post wasn't really constructive, hmm..

I notice sometimes when a person tries, they are ignored, when they stop trying, people take more interest.

I also think its possible to project a spiritual kind of, feeling, about yourself to other people. If you feel desirable, others will too, without anything needing to be said.

Plus, you are new, with time there will be other new people who will need someone to integrate with, so please stay positive.

good luck :)

I moved to a new area in August of this year with a pretty strong deaf community there. Unfortunately, for the first time I feel like an outsider because of the attitude of most of the deaf people here. I think because the deaf community is so large and strong that they do not see the need to welcome new deaf people into the community or something. I've gone to a few of the social outings and did manage to meet new people.

The same thing is happening at my job (which employs a lot of deaf people) as well. I've been teaching at the school for almost three months...and yet there are deaf (and hearing) staff members in my own department (as well as other departments) who have not been courteous enough to introduce themselves to me. I still do not know some of their names and what they teach exactly. I've gone out of my way to be friendly and tried to introduce myself to others (as I usually do anyways), but at this point I'm ready to tell all of my co-workers to go fuck themselves.

This deaf community is cold and distant, unlike most deaf communities I've seen and even grown to be part of. I'm surprised by it since I expected it to be different. I was hoping to join a community where I could make good frirends and raise my girls in a loving environment. I'm homesick for the community I did become a part of and grew to love.

Good thing I didn't buy the "Home Sweet Home" rug just yet.

Hey, I totally understand how you feel... I attended public school with a deaf program offered. When I went to NTID, I had the hardest time making new friends because I was just fine (in my opinion), all way through K-12... I didn't understand why people would shoot me down when I did not do anything wrong.

I have been accused for something I didn't even do and my old friendships from the Deaf program I was in aren't as close as they used to be... Unfortunate but true... A couple of them have tried to reconnect with me but it just didn't feel the same anymore... There is no "click," like one of the earlier posters described, between them and I (my feelings- Idk about theirs tho.). And one of those people who tried to reconnect with me has admitted that she made a mistake and regrets it but it just doesn't feel the same anymore... Oh well!

SO... You are not alone!

Really? Wow. Well, NYC is even worse, unless you smoke pot with them then you're their new best friend. :lol:

I will be glad to send you some weed brownies overnight federal express. They will make new friends with you while you serve those brownies to them. :D

It seems like these days many people lack in good manners. I was invited to a birthday party today and I didnt know anyone except for the hosts. They have a deaf child so everyone who attended were their hearing family members...I introduced myself and even tried initiating conversations with them ,since the hosts were so busy with running the party, but nobody really made me feel welcome there. I was basically ignored during the whole two hours by them except for the hosts ...

My husband's family basically do not make me feel like a part of them at gatherings despite me being with my hubby for 4 years now.

I guess it depends on a certain group of people if they are friendly or not.

I agree with many others, I am sure you will find your group of friends that you will click with.

yeah, I went to New England Patriots football bar last Saturday night. I was trying to interface with them but they apparently did not interest to listen my conversation. I could be talk boring conversation for them, was very discouraged myself. They were talked and gatered themselves. I felt left out and talk with my old staff briefly then I left. I drove on the way home, I was kinda of very sad and emotional because of no Andrew around with me.

What is more, I saw a beautiful brand new mall and stadium at New England Patriots... It makes me to think of Andrew. It was awful night for me, I do not drink any wine or eat at all due to depress.

I am always an outsider as I go everywhere in my life. Some embraces me, some are snobby and two faced, which it is fine with me... their loss. Or they simply are not interested in getting to know me. Screw them. I still have a circle of closest buddies who understand me more than anyone else.

Back