Cochlear Implantation Surgery 7/28/15

good luck on your upcoming A-day! (your A days falling on my aunt's bday, August 12th.)

Good luck! I lost my hearing at 42 due to meningitis. I had double CI surgery two months later.

Hey Ambrosia, just found out my activation date is the 12th same as yours. I went with Cochlear N6 since I already had Cochlear in my left ear.

I just had the surgery a couple days ago, I don't get activated until the 12th.

get-excited-only-1-more-day-to-go.png

Hey Amber, good luck on Wednesday. Let me know how you do and I will do the same since I get activated the same day as you. There is so much stuff with the N6, especially since I'm going bilateral. Numerous accessories to charge and ready before my appointment.

I think these ladies are well aware of what to do and not to do.

That caution has appeared over and over again on another forum (AB's Hearing Journey) so I thought I would pass it along here.

That caution has appeared over and over again on another forum (AB's Hearing Journey) so I thought I would pass it along here.

I would imagine anyone getting a CI has joined CI forums and have read such warnings already. AKA, done their homework.

I'm behind on some threads, so I'm catching up! I hope all went well, Amber!

Looking forward to the excitement for the girls that are being activated tomorrow! Good luck :lol:

Hey Amber, I know exactly what you mean. I had zero appetite for about a week....nice though lost more weight:giggle: I just have a slight earache so I keep a cotton ball in my ear because the AC bothers it a little. I just have to remind myself that we did just have major surgery and it will take a little while to feel like our old self again.
I ate like a horse after surgery, first night about killed me chewing but the next night it was all game from there ! Tin taste, still have it today, cant taste salt at all yet??? ah well, hope all my taste buds come back soon as I still cant taste alot of stuff yet.

Angel and Amber, good luck tomorrow, let me know how everything goes!!
Make a video...lol its ok, I cried too...

I ate like a horse after surgery, first night about killed me chewing but the next night it was all game from there ! Tin taste, still have it today, cant taste salt at all yet??? ah well, hope all my taste buds come back soon as I still cant taste alot of stuff yet.

Hmmm, does loss of taste happen often as a side effect? Did it happen after your first surgery?

Hmmm, does loss of taste happen often as a side effect? Did it happen after your first surgery?

I've heard about loss of taste as a side-effect. Probably not as often today as it may have been in the early days. The surgery requires coming close to facial nerves, etc, so you hope you have a surgeon with steady hands. :hmm:

Luckily I did not have a loss of taste. I hope it returns soon for you Mike.

Please check your thread at http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?p=2433493#post2433493 for comment before you open everything.

Thank you for your concern. My audiologist always tell me not to open anything I do not want. But this time around you pre order all the accessories you want ahead of time. There definitely is not as much extra stuff in the suitcases anymore. I will use every item provided to me, plus I need to order more.

Thank you for your concern. My audiologist always tell me not to open anything I do not want. But this time around you pre order all the accessories you want ahead of time. There definitely is not as much extra stuff in the suitcases anymore. I will use every item provided to me, plus I need to order more.

I have read of people that ordered what they wanted and then changed their mind by the time it came to actually use them. Those that had not been opened were exchangable but not the opened ones.

Hello guys!!! The activation went very well!!! I was waiting for my face to spaz but it didn't. The doc warned that the otosclerosis changed the bone in ways that conducts the electricity better (or something like that) so there's an increased risk of facial stimulation with implants in people with far advanced otosclerosis. He said if it happened they'd just turn some electrodes off. But it no spazzes :D so yay!!!!

Everything sounds odd, it reminds me of an underwater sonar pinging, but speech isn't too bad. A bit high, but already my voice is sounding less high than it was earlier. But!!!! I am getting speech. I still lip read and have to be looking at you, but it's only been about 5 hours hahaha so I'm not complaining :D

I didn't get any of my stuff until I went in to be activated, we just put disposable batteries in the uhhhh disposable battery I don't know, thing. My clinic is a 2 processor clinic so I got 2 processors, one for a back up. I ordered a white one and a teal one. They screwed up my order. They sent 2 white processors so she'll send one back and I'll pick up the teal one when I go for my second mapping on the 31st. Also I have a small battery for the Aqua pack (and all the waterproof accessories that comes with) the battery thing that uses disposables plus 3 large rechargeable batteries (2 teal 1 white) I ordered medium batteries but they sent large. But screw it, I'll live. Then basically at least 2 backups of everything, cables and tmics, head pieces etc etc etc. they were running a special, automatically you get 2 accessory kits, I picked the backup kit and the Aqua kit but with the special you got a 3rd for free so I also got a compilot. She doesn't think I'll be able to use that fur a few months. Oh!! And a nice back pack, travel kit, the obviously the zephyr and charger. I may have forgotten something.

Back