Cochlear decison

Status
Not open for further replies.
You liked the girl bitching about how she was brought up and wished it was different?
No - the part of a girl finding someone to talk to when she needed it...

Interesting you thought different...

No - the part of a girl finding someone to talk to when she needed it...

Interesting you thought different...

because most of us have lived through growing up in restricted environment imposed by the medicial pointview of deafness. Maybe you cant see it that way because it is probably hard to imagine what it must have been like.

Wirelessly posted

and other people believe that deafness has neurological and developmental consequences.

if a child has cataracts and they are not given surgery and follow up, as soon as possible, they will end up with a severe vision loss, even if the cataracts are later removed, because of brain development.

if a child has a profound hearing loss and is not given a cochlear implant and appropriate follow up at an early age, they will be unable to develop the ability to hear and understand spoken language through listening, even if they do receive a cochlear implant later. Why? Because of brain development.

now, regardless of whether or not you value the ability to hear and use spoken langauge, that is a consequence.

No dear, what you cited is neurodevelopmental consequences. That is the same thing that leads to cognitive processing differences. You are way out of your scope of knowledge on this one.

Not being able to develop spoken language is not a medical consequence. And you are failing to note the numerous severe to profound deaf individuals that have developed excellent spoken lanugage skills without a CI.:hmm:

And it is still not a medical consequence. No matter how you try to color it. It is a consequence that doesn't need to be addressed with surgical intervention...unless, of course, you believe that speaking and hearing are mandatory to a good quality of life.:hmm: Some people feel that way about cosmetic surgery, too. But having a nose job is not a medical necessity, either.

I guess I am brain damaged because I dont have a CI. No wonder I fell for the wrong guy, made budget errors, and other bad decisions in my life.

It is because I dont have a CI. Damn!

I guess I am brain damaged because I dont have a CI. No wonder I fell for the wrong guy, made budget errors, and other bad decisions in my life.

It is because I dont have a CI. Damn!

You are funny!:laugh2: I love that sarcasm.

I'm sure I don't need to explain the concept of neurodevelopmental consequences. We have discussed it time and time and time again. They result from language deprivation, not deafness.

I'm sure I don't need to explain the concept of neurodevelopmental consequences. We have discussed it time and time and time again. They result from language deprivation, not deafness.

Ok, seeing if I've got it down. Neurodevelopmental consequences are prevalent in children exposed to no language during their key developmental years. Exposure to language at all prevents that, be it visual or auditory. Correct?

Ok, seeing if I've got it down. Neurodevelopmental consequences are prevalent in children exposed to no language during their key developmental years. Exposure to language at all prevents that, be it visual or auditory. Correct?

Correct.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

and other people believe that deafness has neurological and developmental consequences.

if a child has cataracts and they are not given surgery and follow up, as soon as possible, they will end up with a severe vision loss, even if the cataracts are later removed, because of brain development.

if a child has a profound hearing loss and is not given a cochlear implant and appropriate follow up at an early age, they will be unable to develop the ability to hear and understand spoken language through listening, even if they do receive a cochlear implant later. Why? Because of brain development.

now, regardless of whether or not you value the ability to hear and use spoken langauge, that is a consequence.

No dear, what you cited is neurodevelopmental consequences. That is the same thing that leads to cognitive processing differences. You are way out of your scope of knowledge on this one.

Not being able to develop spoken language is not a medical consequence. And you are failing to note the numerous severe to profound deaf individuals that have developed excellent spoken lanugage skills without a CI.:hmm:

And it is still not a medical consequence. No matter how you try to color it. It is a consequence that doesn't need to be addressed with surgical intervention...unless, of course, you believe that speaking and hearing are mandatory to a good quality of life.:hmm: Some people feel that way about cosmetic surgery, too. But having a nose job is not a medical necessity, either.

i was not talking about developing the ability to speak, that is why i didn't say that. The brain loses the ability to learn to hear. That is different.

Absolutely. It is not that hard, is it?:P

Wirelessly posted

StevieMont927 said:

it prevents language deprivation, but there is still the consequence of auditory pathways being converted to visual.

again, i am placing no value on the situation, but it is a consequence.

Wirelessly posted

i was not talking about developing the ability to speak, that is why i didn't say that. The brain loses the ability to learn to hear. That is different.

That is still not a medical consequence. And it doesn't loose it's ability.

You probably should study more neurology before making these statements.

Wirelessly posted

it prevents language deprivation, but there is still the consequence of auditory pathways being converted to visual.

Why is it a problem when auditory pathways are used to process visual information?:dunno2:

You do realize, don't you, since you are trying to discuss neurological issues here, that when ASL is processed in the brain, it is processed simultaneously in the visual and the auditory centers. When spoken language is processed in the brain, only the auditory centers are used. So, ASL uses more of the brain than does verbal language. Use prevents atrophy.

Absolutely. It is not that hard, is it?:P

I wouldn't be so sure....I had to REALLY work my butt off to come to that conclusion. I thought, and I thought, and I thought for quite a while.....hours....days, even.

*sarcasm

It's a relatively simple concept. Consequences stem from lack of language. ASL = Language. Exposure to ASL =/= exposure to no language.

Wirelessly posted

There is going to be a consequence of every action, event, lifestyle.....anything, really. Conversion of pathways isn't detrimental to one's well-being.

I wouldn't be so sure....I had to REALLY work my butt off to come to that conclusion. I thought, and I thought, and I thought for quite a while.....hours....days, even.

*sarcasm

It's a relatively simple concept. Consequences stem from lack of language. ASL = Language. Exposure to ASL =/= exposure to no language.

Bingo! Now I could re-phrase all of that into technical language that no one would understand, but I believe in making it as simple as possible so the greatest number of people will understand these sometimes confusing concepts. We have had a demonstration of what happens when someone misinterprets the technical language they are reading.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
If that's really what it's about then cochlear implants are no longer the obvious option.

Exactly. CI is only the obvious answer when verbal communication is the primary goal.

a cochlear implant provides access to sound not the ability to speak. Deaf people have been learning to speak for hundreds of years, cochlear implants have changed the ability to hear.

are you somehow saying that there are not differences in the brain of a prelingually deaf adult vs a hearing person? If there is a difference, that would be a consequence of deafness, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back