Climate Skeptics See 'Smoking Gun' in Researchers' Leaked E-Mails

I've proved you wrong many times and you still use that argument to deceive the public that small numbers don't mean anything.

Just because the number sounds small doesn't make it "insignificant." It is extremely significant.

Our bodies operate on TRACE nutrients - the amounts are so tiny - as little as .00005% of our body use it - it seems like it's not significant at all but they are essential for our health and without it, we die.

Also, educate yourself with this one:

"Greenhouse gases and ozone contribute warming of +2.9 Wm-2. The majority of this is from CO2 (+1.66 Wm-2). This warming is offset by anthropogenic aerosols, reducing the total human caused warming to 1.6 Wm-2.

So bringing it all together, there are two reasons for the focus on CO2:

CO2 is the most dominant radiative forcing
CO2 radiative forcing is increasing faster than any other forcing"

CO2 is not the only driver of climate

Global warming deniers and creationists have a lot in common - they seek to attack the theory than to prove their ridiculous theories.

"Since the late 1980s, this well-coordinated, well-funded campaign by contrarian scientists, free-market think tanks and industry has created a paralyzing fog of doubt around climate change. Through advertisements, op-eds, lobbying and media attention, greenhouse doubters (they hate being called deniers) argued first that the world is not warming; measurements indicating otherwise are flawed, they said. Then they claimed that any warming is natural, not caused by human activities. Now they contend that the looming warming will be minuscule and harmless. "They patterned what they did after the tobacco industry," says former senator Tim Wirth, who spearheaded environmental issues as an under secretary of State in the Clinton administration. "Both figured, sow enough doubt, call the science uncertain and in dispute. That's had a huge impact on both the public and Congress.""

Global Warming Deniers Well Funded | Newsweek Environment | Newsweek.com

apples and oranges when comparing a closed-body system that's internal versus an open body in a fluid environment.

this reinforces why I am such a cynical bastard. Somebody is making money off of this somehow somewhere. My personal belief (supported by evidence) is that the earth has gone through many warming then cooling cycles. It's natural. That said, I am sure that mankind has contributed to current warming trends however it is questionable if it is anything as significant as some would have you believe.

Not even that significant. 10 years ago they predicted additional warming over the next 10 yeas because of man's contribution of CO2 except that global temps didn't go up but show signs of a cooling. Go figure. Yet, we're at a low cycle of sun's energy output and people say that the sun has not contribution to Earth's warming and cooling?

Climategate.

They’re calling it “Climategate.” The scandal that the suffix –gate implies is the state of climate science over the past decade or so revealed by a thousand or so emails, documents, and computer code sets between various prominent scientists released following a leak from the Climate Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia in the UK.

This may seem obscure, but the science involved is being used to justify the diversion of literally trillions of dollars of the world’s wealth in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by phasing out fossil fuels. The CRU is the Pentagon of global warming science, and these documents are its Pentagon Papers.

Pajamas Media Three Things You Absolutely Must Know About Climategate

Source: http://www.globalwarminghoax.com/comment.php?comment.news.116

A server belonging to the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit was hacked and a large file containing documents and emails was obtained. A number of these documents seem to indicate an attempt to manipulate data and public opinion.

"Wow!" hardly seems to cover it. There is a huge amount of material here and people are still going through it. No one is denying that this data is legit but we have spent some time investigating it ourselves and have concluded that to fake this much data would be extremely difficult. Even the IP numbers of the mail servers shown in the messages check out (on both the to and from email servers). The data is legit, now the question remains what impact will this have and why hasn't CRU taken action against some of the people involved?

Many of the documents seem to be concerned with hiding scientific results that don't agree with them. There are also references to destroying data. Some email messages actually suggest that others destroy data before its discovered under a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request (and ironically all of these documents were contained in a folder called "FOIA"). So the next time someone says that "scientists would never fake or manipulate data" here is evidence that they would. (all names listed in the documents and quoted below are to be presumed innocent until fired and publicly humiliated).

Now here are just a few quotes from the documents.

"I can't see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow - even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!" Phil Jones, CRU

"And don't leave stuff lying around on ftp sites - you never know who is trawling them. The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I'll delete the file rather than send to anyone."

"The two MMs" refers to McKitrick (a Canadian economist and professor at the University of Guelph, Ontario. He is also a Senior Fellow of the Fraser Institute), McIntyre (of climateaudit.org fame). These two have been two of the biggest thorns in the side of those wishing to skew data towards the warming argument and they do it simply through analyzing the data.

To: "Michael E. Mann" (mann@mxxxxxx.edu)
Subject: IPCC & FOI
Date: Thu May 29 11:04:11 2008

Mike,
Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re AR4? Keith will do likewise. He's not in at the moment - minor family crisis. Can you also email Gene and get him to do the same? I don't have his new email address.
We will be getting Caspar to do likewise. I see that CA claim they discovered the 1945 problem in the Nature paper!!
Cheers Phil

To: "Michael E. Mann" (mann@vxxxxxx.edu)
Subject: HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL
Date: Thu Jul 8 16:30:16 2004

[...] I can't see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow - even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is !
Cheers, Phil

To: ray bradley ,mann@xxxxxxx.edu, mhughes©xxxxx.edu
Subject: Diagram for WMO Statement
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:31:15 +0000
Cc: k.briffa©uxxxxx.uk,t.osborn@uxxxx.uk

Dear Ray, Mike and Malcolm,
Once Tim's got a diagram here we'll send that either later today or first thing tomorrow. I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline. Mike's series got the annual land and marine values while the other two got April-Sept for NH land N of 20N. The latter two are real for 1999, while the estimate for 1999 for NH combined is +0.44C wrt 61-90. The Global estimate for 1999 with data through Oct is +0.35C cf. 0.57 for 1998. Thanks for the comments, Ray.

Cheers
Phil

Prof. Phil Jones
Climatic Research Unit Telephone +44 (0) 1603 592090
School of Environmental Sciences Fax +44 (0) 1603 507784
University of East Anglia
Norwich Email p.jones©uxxxxx.uk
NR4 7TJ
UK

Yep. Yep. And....yep.

They are pursuing criminal charges but the cat is already out of the bag. There is now a call for a congressional hearing on this since if the idea is to fudge data in order to get more federal money would constitute as an attempt to defraud the govt. That's a big no no.

CRU relied on unreliable data sets, bad computer models, and a desire to reach a conclusion rather than do actual science.

In addition to e-mail messages, the roughly 3,600 leaked documents posted on sites including Wikileaks.org and EastAngliaEmails.com include computer code and a description of how an unfortunate programmer named "Harry" -- possibly the CRU's Ian "Harry" Harris -- was tasked with resuscitating and updating a key temperature database that proved to be problematic. Some excerpts from what appear to be his notes, emphasis added:
I am seriously worried that our flagship gridded data product is produced by Delaunay triangulation - apparently linear as well. As far as I can see, this renders the station counts totally meaningless. It also means that we cannot say exactly how the gridded data is arrived at from a statistical perspective - since we're using an off-the-shelf product that isn't documented sufficiently to say that. Why this wasn't coded up in Fortran I don't know - time pressures perhaps? Was too much effort expended on homogenisation, that there wasn't enough time to write a gridding procedure? Of course, it's too late for me to fix it too. Meh.

I am very sorry to report that the rest of the databases seem to be in nearly as poor a state as Australia was. There are hundreds if not thousands of pairs of dummy stations, one with no WMO and one with, usually overlapping and with the same station name and very similar coordinates. I know it could be old and new stations, but why such large overlaps if that's the case? Aarrggghhh! There truly is no end in sight... So, we can have a proper result, but only by including a load of garbage!

One thing that's unsettling is that many of the assigned WMo codes for Canadian stations do not return any hits with a web search. Usually the country's met office, or at least the Weather Underground, show up – but for these stations, nothing at all. Makes me wonder if these are long-discontinued, or were even invented somewhere other than Canada!

Knowing how long it takes to debug this suite - the experiment endeth here. The option (like all the anomdtb options) is totally undocumented so we'll never know what we lost. 22. Right, time to stop pussyfooting around the niceties of Tim's labyrinthine software suites - let's have a go at producing CRU TS 3.0! since failing to do that will be the definitive failure of the entire project.

Ulp! I am seriously close to giving up, again. The history of this is so complex that I can't get far enough into it before by head hurts and I have to stop. Each parameter has a tortuous history of manual and semi-automated interventions that I simply cannot just go back to early versions and run the update prog. I could be throwing away all kinds of corrections - to lat/lons, to WMOs (yes!), and more. So what the hell can I do about all these duplicate stations?...
Congress May Probe Leaked Global Warming E-Mails - Taking Liberties - CBS News

The irony of this situation is that most of us expect science to be conducted in the open, without unpublished secret data, hidden agendas, and computer programs of dubious reliability. East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit might have avoided this snafu by publicly disclosing as much as possible at every step of the way.

But that never happened. This "global warming" (farce) was too big to fail.

CO2 isn't a pollutant. We breathe it (exhale) every second. Plants absorb it to help them grow.

Volcanoes produces more CO2 than any man made product combined. Yet, it's been erupting long before man came to the scene. Yet, we're all still here.

If CO2 really were a threat to the earth's ozone layer, we would all have been dead long before one single production of a man made CO2 product came to existence.

Volcanic Gases and Their Effects

Didn't Reagan say that trees gave off more pollution than all our factories and cars? :roll:

"Exhaling CO2 is a pollutant." Sorry if you believe he said that.

Everything is toxic when it is in excess.

Yes, mankind have been around for a few millions year, however the difference is that all that stored carbon sink that were tucked away in the earth are being used up and are in the atmosphere. You can't honestly tell me that won't have a long-term effect.

*fart* my bad for contributing to pollution

Yes, mankind have been around for a few millions year, however the difference is that all that stored carbon sink that were tucked away in the earth are being used up and are in the atmosphere. You can't honestly tell me that won't have a long-term effect.

Agreed. People really have NO IDEA how much pollution is being spewed daily. It is simply not reported.
16 of the world's biggest ships give off as much pollution as all the world's cars. When you consider the total number of ships using dirty fuel, do the math.
How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world | Mail Online

Used up? No. CO2 is absorbed and released in a variety of pathways involving the oceans, lakes, plants, trees, the soils, and such. This CO2 cycle continues to occur.

Agreed. People really have NO IDEA how much pollution is being spewed daily. It is simply not reported.
16 of the world's biggest ships give off as much pollution as all the world's cars. When you consider the total number of ships using dirty fuel, do the math.
How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world | Mail Online

Exhaust pollution is one thing, CO2 is no a pollutant. It's the very thing that plants thrive on. The more CO2 concentration the better as much as 1200 ppm.

Back