CI soon...CI friendly only please

neecy said:
LOL!!!! I can JUST picture that!! My dad has this little alarm clock that rings with 4 beeps in a neat cadence. When I was first activated I'd keep setting it to go off cuz it sounded so cool but it would drive him nuts!!!

LOL, I think I heard the birds chirping today, I'm not too sure, lol. I was doing yard work this evening with my hun's bro (share house with hun's bro n his g/f, great way to save on finance lol) I asked him if he can hear birds and he said yeah, they chirpings, I kept picking up something, hard to tell lol.
I realized something this evening, I turned up the CI even more and I hear better, hear the tv now, lol. I never know which sound level I like, but I think I found it now lol. Can't wait to go back for another mapping, looking forward to how's that gonna sound lol.

StacieLeigh said:
LOL, I think I heard the birds chirping today, I'm not too sure, lol. I was doing yard work this evening with my hun's bro (share house with hun's bro n his g/f, great way to save on finance lol) I asked him if he can hear birds and he said yeah, they chirpings, I kept picking up something, hard to tell lol.
I realized something this evening, I turned up the CI even more and I hear better, hear the tv now, lol. I never know which sound level I like, but I think I found it now lol. Can't wait to go back for another mapping, looking forward to how's that gonna sound lol.
maybe you can let your husband set the tv volume to comfort level because of sound around in the house so you can determine whether you need to turn up your ci or increase the threshold in mapping when you see your audie next time. :)

Boult said:
maybe you can let your husband set the tv volume to comfort level because of sound around in the house so you can determine whether you need to turn up your ci or increase the threshold in mapping when you see your audie next time. :)

I already do that lol, have been for years. If it was me controlling the tv volume it would be blasting lol. I imagine so lol.

StacieLeigh said:
I already do that lol, have been for years. If it was me controlling the tv volume it would be blasting lol. I imagine so lol.
LOL :)

R2D2 said:

Then came the big moment - turn on. It was dreadful to begin with, like chalk on a blackboard! It really set my teeth on edge! The best I can describe it is like a high pitched static. Anyway the audie asked if I could hear her and my husband talk and I could pick out an increase in the static sound with her voice but nothing at all with my husband! She reassured me that all would get better in time.

So to summarize it sounds awful compared to my hearing aids but very encouraging for my first day. As I type I can hear my fingers on the keyboard. So I am feeling that with a lot of work and practice that I will get to a point where i will be happy with the end result.

Best of all, sound is no longer painful to me the way it was with hearing aids.

Fantastic R2D2!!!!

It will come in time. Glad to hear you are getting a very good start with it!

Yeah, the initial hookup itself is worth writing a book. It was the one thing that shocked me more than anything else...the loudness of everything. I was muttering "why didn't anybody warn me about this?" Er...well they did but until you go through it...

Thanks all for the good wishes and the welcome to the dark side! And Angel and Cheri you are both nuts (in a nice way of course).

I'm getting more proficient in putting the CI on now - at first I was all fingers and thumbs but the key is to put the coil on first and then the processor. I had an ear mould that came with it to hold it into place but I have given it the flick already as it feels much nicer with nothing in my ear. I like the fresh air!

When I put the CI on first thing this morning it was the same mad static as on turn on but within one minute the sounds I had learned yesterday fell back into place. And hubby is definitely sounding more male now - phew!

For the first time I understood a few words that my daughter said without lipreading her but then I had a pretty good context as we had been talking about her McDonalds toy and I turned away and I caught what she said about wanting to show it to someone. I think it will be important to keep on using lipreading skills and visual clues though so that it helps the brain put the pieces of the jigsaw together so to speak.

I'm a bit like a kid with a new toy at the moment. Eating breakfast this morning I crunched my cereal loudly for the pleasure of it and like breathing heavily to see how it sounds (bit of a worry eh?)

R2D2..

Wonderfull to read about your progress.

Have fun with your toy!

R2D2,

Glad to hear this are really progressing for you and how you are acclimatizing to the CI.

R2D2 said:
... I had an ear mould that came with it to hold it into place but I have given it the flick already as it feels much nicer with nothing in my ear. I like the fresh air!

That is one nice thing I absolutely love about it.

R2D2 said:
I think it will be important to keep on using lipreading skills and visual clues though so that it helps the brain put the pieces of the jigsaw together so to speak.

Good idea! It didn't work for me though. I gotten quickly to the point that I relied on my hearing almost 100%. I mean it came naturally and my lipreading skills went south! Ask my wife, she says that I can't lipread worth squat anymore (this is when my CI is not on my ear). I will say when push come shove I can do what I need to do... ;)

Wow! I even burst out laughing about chewing your cereal just so you can hear it and breathing heavily -- and I don't mean that in a mean way -- just for joy for you!
and StacieLeigh -- thanks for keeping us posted -- door creaking but you liked hearing it -- wowser! :cheers:

greema said:
Wow! I even burst out laughing about chewing your cereal just so you can hear it and breathing heavily -- and I don't mean that in a mean way -- just for joy for you!
and StacieLeigh -- thanks for keeping us posted -- door creaking but you liked hearing it -- wowser! :cheers:

Second that. :) :) :) :)

One thing I'm enjoying since getting a pretty good map so i can wear the thing in the wind, I not longer jump out of my skin when a car passes me on the gravel road when i'm out for my walk.....that's good. I can hear it coming up from behind me rather then not knowing it's coming like when I used my HA's. So cool. I hope she looks forward to not being startled all the time. :cheers:

jag said:
I can hear it coming up from behind me rather then not knowing it's coming like when I used my HA's.

I feel you.

We personally know the family of the Miss Deaf Texas who was hit by a train :(

RIP, Tara.

R2D2 said:
Thanks all for the good wishes and the welcome to the dark side! And Angel and Cheri you are both nuts (in a nice way of course).

I'm getting more proficient in putting the CI on now - at first I was all fingers and thumbs but the key is to put the coil on first and then the processor. I had an ear mould that came with it to hold it into place but I have given it the flick already as it feels much nicer with nothing in my ear. I like the fresh air!

When I put the CI on first thing this morning it was the same mad static as on turn on but within one minute the sounds I had learned yesterday fell back into place. And hubby is definitely sounding more male now - phew!

For the first time I understood a few words that my daughter said without lipreading her but then I had a pretty good context as we had been talking about her McDonalds toy and I turned away and I caught what she said about wanting to show it to someone. I think it will be important to keep on using lipreading skills and visual clues though so that it helps the brain put the pieces of the jigsaw together so to speak.

I'm a bit like a kid with a new toy at the moment. Eating breakfast this morning I crunched my cereal loudly for the pleasure of it and like breathing heavily to see how it sounds (bit of a worry eh?)
Try using toupee tape to hold it in place. It's 2 sided tape and works great holding my daughters CI in place.

sr171soars said:
Good idea! It didn't work for me though. I gotten quickly to the point that I relied on my hearing almost 100%. I mean it came naturally and my lipreading skills went south! Ask my wife, she says that I can't lipread worth squat anymore (this is when my CI is not on my ear). I will say when push come shove I can do what I need to do... ;)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one - while I can still lipread to an extent, after a year of using my CI I'm not near as proficient as I once was. I think its just an example of "use it or lose it" and I'm relying less and less on lipreading, and more on what I can hear and understand.

Updates.....

Hey all,

Things has been pretty great. I sat outside today and I was hearing something and could not figure it out for the longest time. Finally I got it, it was a bird, lol. Well not just a bird lol, it was a bunch of them. I sat outside for an hour just listening and finally I was able to know they were different birds, different calls. It sounded mechanical, but they were birds lol. I loved it!
I was never able to picked up birds' call with my HA, it was just so awesome lol. This thing (CI) never ceased to amaze me everyday.
I wear my HA and my CI while I watch t.v. during the evening time, it just sounds better. I even was able to picked up a parts of convo between everyone over the t.v., never been able to do that before. I still have a way to go, but mighty pleased with how far I've come this week.
It was a very good day, a very good week!
I'm even understanding better with one on one convo with my hun, first time in long time, we had a great discussion, he just kept talking and talking, I've stopped him a few time, but not as much as I used to lol. Our roomies just kept looking at us with a huge smile, I loved it.
Anyone ever noticed it's like survival instinct, wanting it to sound better, so you work harder? lol
Well, I better get going, it's pretty late and I got to get my butt to bed somehow, but my insomnia mind has something else planned lol.

Stacie

StacieLeigh said:
Hey all,

Things has been pretty great. I sat outside today and I was hearing something and could not figure it out for the longest time. Finally I got it, it was a bird, lol. Well not just a bird lol, it was a bunch of them. I sat outside for an hour just listening and finally I was able to know they were different birds, different calls. It sounded mechanical, but they were birds lol. I loved it!
I was never able to picked up birds' call with my HA, it was just so awesome lol. This thing (CI) never ceased to amaze me everyday.
I wear my HA and my CI while I watch t.v. during the evening time, it just sounds better. I even was able to picked up a parts of convo between everyone over the t.v., never been able to do that before. I still have a way to go, but mighty pleased with how far I've come this week.
I'm even understanding better with one on one convo with my hun, first time in long time, we had a great discussion, he just kept talking and talking, I've stopped him a few time, but not as much as I used to lol. Our roomies just kept looking at us with a huge smile, I loved it.
Anyone ever noticed it's like survival instinct, wanting it to sound better, so you work harder? lol
Well, I better get going, it's pretty late and I got to get my butt to bed somehow, but my insomnia mind has something else planned lol.

Stacie
It sounds like your doing great! I'm very happy for you. I'm just curious to know if you are doing any types of speech therapy with your CI? Or did you have a good amount speech before then.

kayla123 said:
It sounds like your doing great! I'm very happy for you. I'm just curious to know if you are doing any types of speech therapy with your CI? Or did you have a good amount speech before then.

I have good speech, 10 years worth of therapy with a speech therapist and about 15-16 years worth with my mom lol.
I am doing speech therapy. I don't know what type it is, just my hun and roomies talking with me and saying words and then I hook up to the puter and listen to online news without captions. So I use both visual and listening means, I guess. Any other suggestion would be great, anything to make my brain learn faster lol.
Thanks

StacieLeigh said:
Hey all,

Stacie

That's great Stacie, I'm so thrilled for you, especially the bit with having a relaxed conversation with your hun. It's nice not to strain isn't it?

Back