CI soon...CI friendly only please

:dance2:
Good luck, Bear! And great progress!

She did post a long one about herself. I'll have to find it and link it in this post.. so brb!

Boult said:
She did post a long one about herself. I'll have to find it and link it in this post.. so brb!

Ok, While you are running around searching for that post, I'll put my legs upon my desk and drink a glass of ice tea. :whistle: Ahhh....

Cheri said:
Ok, While you are running around searching for that post, I'll put my legs upon my desk and drink a glass of ice tea. :whistle: Ahhh....
LOL ok it is on this thread:
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27706&page=13&pp=20 #254 see 4th paragraph. that's indicator of her hearing loss. and on #53 (I think) which she said she lost all of her hearing recently.

Hey I am drinking ice tea too! (Lipton instant ice tea, Hawaii raw sugar, RealLemon reverse-osmosis purified water)

Thanks Boult,

Oh boy so much reading to do. I'm going to charge Bear $15.00 hourly wage for reading these loonnnng posts. :whistle:

Pssst. Bear, Don't worry hun, I'll send you a bill, It'll come in the next day "Federal express" Don't you love Overnight Federal Express delivery? I loveeeeeee it! :thumb:

StacieLeigh said:
Good luck, Bear!
Like sr171soars said. It does all vary, on my first appt. the audiologist gave me hearing test and told me he recommended that I have the CI. Then after that, it was to see the doc and he also said the same thing. My surgery was set a month later and had my ct scan couple week before surgery. It was pretty fast for me.
Wish you the best!
Stacie

You guys got CT scans? I had to go and have an MRI. took a little longer then they said so I was wondering if they were finding all kinds of stuff in my head that wasn't supposed to be there. :Ohno: but my nurse daughter assures me that they are always talking and calling on the phone and stuff like that so it wasn't anything to worry about. :) and she was right.

but back on topic of first appointment. I went to the CI eval center at Mayo for the hearing test, could have seen ENT the same day but I think they couldn't get me in to see ENT, he then had to cancel the appointment I did have scheduled . So ended up being about a month later (so I'm slow about setting up appointments, :roll: )and I went to both places. Did another hearing test, still borderline but did a noise test this time, tanked out on that bad....saw ent both drs had said they could try to get insurance to approve if I wanted, I decided sure. Had MRI a week later while waiting for approval, could have seen ENT that day but chose to come in 1 week after MRI got approval at that appointment had surgery a couple weeks later. activated a week after surgery. Some of us are just in a hurry once we get appointments made I guess. :hyper: :) :) :) I'm really enjoying the whole thing. Good luck with your appointment I hope you qualify. :)

Bear said:
Hey all,

Getting excited here as my first appointment for a CI is July 11th, just a few more weeks now. What exactly can I expect at this first appointment? Will they do any of the qualifying testing at that appointment? And what is the usual time frame between first appointment and actual turn on date?

Thanks,

Bear

It started with my audi testing me for speech recognition with lipreading only, with hearing aids and lipreading and with only hearing aids. She tested me on single words and recognition of sentences.

She then indicated that she thought I was a possible candidate for a CI and then referred me to a surgeon.

The surgeon had me take an MRI scan and he also did a test where he stimulated my nerve to see how it responded. It involved putting a probe there but it didn't hurt. I had to tell him if I could tell any difference in the pitch of sounds and also count out how many times he was buzzing. He also sent me off for a balance test.

I started being tested in late January but wasn't approved until late March. Had surgery in June.

You might be able to speed it up if you ask if you can front load your tests - i.e. get them done before you see the surgeon?

Best wishes with the process.

R2D2,

Drum roll................. :popcorn:

We are eagerly waiting with anticipation on your hookup! Please do tell all when it happens very soon.

Yeah, We are waiting to welcome you to the dark side. :giggle:

Sorry, I love that quote. ;)

HEY you people, Dont forget Bear is a latened deaf person since 14 years old that is a big difference from d/Deaf people. She wore a Hearing Aid until she cannot hear anymore which means NOTHING to hear from HA. That s very reasonable for her to take the risk to get CI that she is not expecting and will be preparing for it. I have talked to her about it and helped her out a little bit because it s more of a 50 / 50 chance for her to get the hearing sounds back. I can understand she miss the sounds and comprehension words very much that she heard when she was a hearing person and I dont blame her. She is willing to face the risks that might or might not hear again.

I am being fair with her because she was a former hearing person that you need to look at the different sides. It s her desire not the parent s desire for those d/Deaf children that I dont agree with.

Good luck, Bear.. I ll be here for you anytime. Thanks!

Sweetmind

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Lol Cheri umm one problem with your plan! *Hints* it takes an address to send a Fed Ex overnight. SO no billing at this time hahaha.

Sweetmind, thanks, I am going into this with mixed feelings. Very excited and very nervous, and very anxious knowing the implant may not work for me.

But everyone else, thanks for giving me a realistic timeline. I was actually thinking at least a year if not more lol.

Bear

Bear said:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Lol Cheri umm one problem with your plan! *Hints* it takes an address to send a Fed Ex overnight. SO no billing at this time hahaha.

Sweetmind, thanks, I am going into this with mixed feelings. Very excited and very nervous, and very anxious knowing the implant may not work for me.

But everyone else, thanks for giving me a realistic timeline. I was actually thinking at least a year if not more lol.

Bear

Good luck Bear! :)

Bear said:
Hey all,

Getting excited here as my first appointment for a CI is July 11th, just a few more weeks now. What exactly can I expect at this first appointment? Will they do any of the qualifying testing at that appointment? And what is the usual time frame between first appointment and actual turn on date?

Thanks,

Bear

No fair! I set up an appointment and the first opening they could put me in is on July 25th!

Good luck, Bear!

R2D2, where are you!

WEEEEEEE!
I cannot wait for your post!
Thinking of you and very excited for you!
Come on, hurry home and post! lol
Hope it all goes well for you and your family today.
Stacie

StacieLeigh said:
WEEEEEEE!
I cannot wait for your post!
Thinking of you and very excited for you!
Come on, hurry home and post! lol
Hope it all goes well for you and your family today.
Stacie

Heh you sound really excited :D

Updates.....

I thought I would try listening to music last night and I started with B.B. King, Worried Life Blues.....I was able to get some of his voice and man I cannot wait for it to sounds better, but I will keep playing that one and my Creedence Clear Water Revival, the slower songs, I do better.
I'm very happy with my progress so far and it won't be long now until I can understand everyone and be able to enjoy musuc like never before lol.
My hun will be home from work soon and cannot wait for him to help me train, he's very supportive and happy to help me. I cannot wait for him to listen to the music with me, so he can help me with that.
I love how the audio cable allow me to hear around me with it on, very safe thing to have.
I went out with my hun's mom the other day and I heard the turn signal in the car! I never picked that up before!
I realized I can understand the men's voice better, having trouble with kids and women's voice still. But it'll come in time.
I still can pick up the water being turned on in the kitchen from another room and everyone gets a kick out of it when I yell, "who turn the water on!" lol

I better scram, hun should be home soon with my candy bar! I love my chocolates lol.

Stacie

StacieLeigh said:
Oh, I am! lol
I just got turned on last week and love to compare it with hers lol.

Cool!

I don't have CI but this is interesting. :) I see nothimg wrong with CI's. :)

LuciaDisturbed said:
Cool!

I don't have CI but this is interesting. :) I see nothimg wrong with CI's. :)

Awesome, you're welcome to keep reading it on here to learn about it.
You wear HA or don't?
Nice to meet ya!

Back