CI soon...CI friendly only please

StacieLeigh said:
Awesome, you're welcome to keep reading it on here to learn about it.
You wear HA or don't?
Nice to meet ya!

I wore HA's from 1 yr til I think about eh maybe 8 years old, but never really found any use for them as I am profound deaf. *shrugs* and I kept losing them LOL.

Nice to meet ya too! :)

StacieLeigh said:
Oh, I am! lol
I just got turned on last week and love to compare it with hers lol.

I still have 4 hours to go before I get turned on :hyper: By the way has anyone noticed any giggles when you use that phrase? People have dirty minds :)

LuciaDisturbed said:
I wore HA's from 1 yr til I think about eh maybe 8 years old, but never really found any use for them as I am profound deaf. *shrugs* and I kept losing them LOL.

Ever since I lost my hearing last year in the left ear I've had to depend on my right ear with the hearing aid. The sound quality is so poor. I fully understand why some people choose not to continue with wearing hearing aids. It must seem more peaceful to you (as long as you don't have tinnitus that is!!)

R2D2 said:
Ever since I lost my hearing last year in the left ear I've had to depend on my right ear with the hearing aid. The sound quality is so poor. I fully understand why some people choose not to continue with wearing hearing aids. It must seem more peaceful to you (as long as you don't have tinnitus that is!!)

Oh I have tinnitus...so damn annoying.

LuciaDisturbed said:

LOL, I kept losing mine, too! Even once my own big dog grabbed it off my ear and ate it lol. That was when I was 6, scared me lol.

StacieLeigh said:
LOL, I kept losing mine, too! Even once my own big dog grabbed it off my ear and ate it lol. That was when I was 6, scared me lol.

Oh yikes...I kept losing mine all over the house and on the school bus...my dad kept hollaring at me about it then finally he said I don't need to wear them anyway cause they had no benefits for me anymore. :)

waiting for R2D2 to spill her beans about her *turn on* :naughty:

just joking!

LOL Boult!

My audie started me off trying to put the external speech processor and magnet on which was difficult because my hair is so thick. She only had a strength 3 magnet (5 is the greatest strength) and so had to order another one from Cochlear on the phone. She had to cut away a little of my hair to put the strength 3 magnet on Aaagh!

Next she checked all the electrodes and they were all there and showing on the screen.

The mapping of each electrode was really tricky to do for the soft sounds because I wasn't sure whether the sounds I was hearing was tinnitus or not. So in the end the audie suggested I looked at the screen and make a connection with the flashing light and sound, which helped.

She all did all the electrodes and fortunately I didn't experience any facial twitching the way I did with surgery. She said that it may have been because when they test in surgery they use high pulses, whereas she can set them low and gradually build it up. So it looks like I will be able to use all the electrodes :)

Then came the big moment - turn on. It was dreadful to begin with, like chalk on a blackboard! It really set my teeth on edge! The best I can describe it is like a high pitched static. Anyway the audie asked if I could hear her and my husband talk and I could pick out an increase in the static sound with her voice but nothing at all with my husband! She reassured me that all would get better in time.

I wasn't surprised because I've read so many other people's experiences and knew that it was normal to start of with. The audie said that I could use my other hearing aid but to switch it off for 2 hours a day to help the CI hearing develop faster. So we picked up the box of goodies from Cochlear and left the building - not sure what to expect!

I decided to turn off my hearing aid right then. To my surprise I notice I could hear my footsteps and it was quite clear. I told my husband and he said that my footsteps weren't even loud. Then I realised that I could hear myself speak in a more voicey sounding way as opposed to increased static.
In the car driving home I had a paper bag on my lap with a cake in it (yum!) and I laughed when I heard the paper bag crackle when I touched it.
Sometime during the car journey I started to hear my husband's voice and at first it sounded exactly like mine. But toward the end it is beginning to sound a bit more male, although still a bit like beeps joined together.

So to summarize it sounds awful compared to my hearing aids but very encouraging for my first day. As I type I can hear my fingers on the keyboard. So I am feeling that with a lot of work and practice that I will get to a point where i will be happy with the end result.

Best of all, sound is no longer painful to me the way it was with hearing aids.

I got shivers reading your post, R2!!! Yes give it time- your auditory nerve is JUST learning what to "do" with the new stimulus. It will get better! Looking forward to reading about more of your "first" sounds - remember one of the first sounds I heard with my CI was the celophane from a bag of chips crinkling and I thought it was cool too!!!

R2D2 said:
LOL Boult!

I decided to turn off my hearing aid right then. To my surprise I notice I could hear my footsteps and it was quite clear.

I found that I could hear better with my CI with my HA in my non-implanted ear tuned off as well. I found it simply confused me with the different "types" of sounds, and I stopped wearing it altogether. I've tried wearing it a couple times, but the distraction is still too strong, and my audie said that some people can use a HA along with a CI and some can't and if I couldn't not to worry. Everybody is different.

Congratulations and best wishes R2! When you hear the swishing of your dog's tail, ring me, lol!

Awesome R2D2

It is pretty weird hearing footsteps, I can even hear my hun's footstep coming up the stairs to our room and even hear that door creak! lol I love the way our door creak, drives my hun's crazy lol. I'll just stand there and open and close it just to listen lol.

StacieLeigh said:
Awesome R2D2

It is pretty weird hearing footsteps, I can even hear my hun's footstep coming up the stairs to our room and even hear that door creak! lol I love the way our door creak, drives my hun's crazy lol. I'll just stand there and open and close it just to listen lol.

LOL!!!! I can JUST picture that!! My dad has this little alarm clock that rings with 4 beeps in a neat cadence. When I was first activated I'd keep setting it to go off cuz it sounded so cool but it would drive him nuts!!!

Aww that's awesome R2D2, Congratulations!!! I feel like I want to try out for a CI :( ....

LOL @ R2D2 about hearing your footsteps. I think that's cute. Welcome to the dark side now. :giggle:

Cheri said:
Go ahead Angel, You go first, I'll go second. :Ohno:

Sure, I'll let you know if you sound like a male :giggle:

Back