CI Moments

A couple of weeks ago I was scolding my daughter and told her, "No! get down from that chair,no,no,no!" she turned around, scrunched her eyebrows,got down,took off her implant and handed it to me(i was curious to see where this tantrum was going)crossed her little arms and stomped off.I knew then she understood the word No! it was so cute(had to hide my smile!)

I guess that is the one word a child understands in any language. Doesn't mean they will stop what they are doing, but they do learn that word quickly.

I asked my audi about speed settings when I went for my mapping today. She said these new freedom processors are set to what they have found to work the best and it is hard to change them manually. She said older processors had easy option to change speed. :hmm:

i wonder if your audi is familiar with the software used to program the freedom? to change speeds, all your audi has to do is select from a menu option. having said that, i have no idea how programming the 3g processor differs from the freedom since i can't see the computer screen.

A couple of weeks ago I was scolding my daughter and told her, "No! get down from that chair,no,no,no!" she turned around, scrunched her eyebrows,got down,took off her implant and handed it to me(i was curious to see where this tantrum was going)crossed her little arms and stomped off.I knew then she understood the word No! it was so cute(had to hide my smile!)

not only does your daughter understand the meaning of the word "no," but i think she also understands the relationship between her ci and being able to hear which is probably why she removed it in the first place.

i wonder if your audi is familiar with the software used to program the freedom? to change speeds, all your audi has to do is select from a menu option. having said that, i have no idea how programming the 3g processor differs from the freedom since i can't see the computer screen.
She is young, and I think she was trained to do things one way and doesn't want to stray from it. Slow and methodical, unless I miss my guess.

She is young, and I think she was trained to do things one way and doesn't want to stray from it. Slow and methodical, unless I miss my guess.

in that case, it might take her some time before she feels completely comfortable using the freedom software.

in that case, it might take her some time before she feels completely comfortable using the freedom software.

Yeah, but I don't have much choice. This is one of the few places that accepts Tricare (military) insurance. I asked her about using the cable for the mp3 player and she could not answer my question as no one she has mapped has ever used one before.

Yeah, but I don't have much choice. This is one of the few places that accepts Tricare (military) insurance. I asked her about using the cable for the mp3 player and she could not answer my question as no one she has mapped has ever used one before.

yikes! it sounds like your audi has alot to learn. even though she hasn't had a client who has used an audio cable before, she should still be familiar with its' purpose and how to use it. i'm surprised she didn't call cochlear right then and there when you asked about speeds and the audio cable. whenever i have a question my audi can't answer, she always calls cochlear.

yikes! it sounds like your audi has alot to learn. even though she hasn't had a client who has used an audio cable before, she should still be familiar with its' purpose and how to use it. i'm surprised she didn't call cochlear right then and there when you asked about speeds and the audio cable. whenever i have a question my audi can't answer, she always calls cochlear.

I actually ran into the same problem with my Widex Inteo. This was a local audi, and I didn't have to pay for visits as it was covered with the purchase of the ha. I was his first to try new gadgets and he was clueless a lot of the time as well. Maybe the majority of ha and CI users aren't as gung ho for technology where I live. :)

I actually ran into the same problem with my Widex Inteo. This was a local audi, and I didn't have to pay for visits as it was covered with the purchase of the ha. I was his first to try new gadgets and he was clueless a lot of the time as well. Maybe the majority of ha and CI users aren't as gung ho for technology where I live. :)

that could be. :lol: i used to have an audi who was the same way. my previous audi left the profession, so i was stuck with him because i needed someone who could program my new digital aids. he was completely unfamiliar with how to do this and told me there was no way i could benefit from digital aids due to my severe-profound hearing loss. i wish i would have gone to a different audi instead of listening to him. perhaps i *could* have benefitted from my digitals if only they had been programmed correctly. needless to say, i didn't stick with this audi for very long. i fired him after 3 months.

Tinnitus is not normal in any sense of the word. As for the Cochlear junk processor, have them put in the old program so the Audie can make changes easier. Thats why I didnt choose Cochlear. Some people should never be audies if they dont take their job seriously and should be fired . I am about to fire mine as well for not " listening to my concerns" . I am still waiting on the MedEl Opus2 upgrade and that nifty remote anytime soon. Do be proactive and call the company directly to get your answers if your audie dont know or care to answer your concerns. They are paid too well to be sloppy.

My cochlear moment is to be able to hear a person during a lecture more clearly than before and be able to participate in the discussion ( at church) . Now one of our missionaries can sign, so now I have my own interpreter lol.

Tinnitus is not normal in any sense of the word. As for the Cochlear junk processor, have them put in the old program so the Audie can make changes easier. Thats why I didnt choose Cochlear. Some people should never be audies if they dont take their job seriously and should be fired . I am about to fire mine as well for not " listening to my concerns" . I am still waiting on the MedEl Opus2 upgrade and that nifty remote anytime soon. Do be proactive and call the company directly to get your answers if your audie dont know or care to answer your concerns. They are paid too well to be sloppy.

My cochlear moment is to be able to hear a person during a lecture more clearly than before and be able to participate in the discussion ( at church) . Now one of our missionaries can sign, so now I have my own interpreter lol.

"cochlear junk processor?" how would you like it if i called the opus 2 a piece of junk?

it's not difficult for an audi to make changes to cochlear's processor, so i have no idea where you got that impression.

I guess this is a "mini" CI moment. Being a huge fan of AI (american idol) I am once again watching the series. I have to admit that the voices sound crappy, but not as crappy as least year. Last year was all about the personality as I had no clue what they were singing. This year, I at least can recognize the melody of songs I know. Baby steps, but getting there...

I guess this is a "mini" CI moment. Being a huge fan of AI (american idol) I am once again watching the series. I have to admit that the voices sound crappy, but not as crappy as least year. Last year was all about the personality as I had no clue what they were singing. This year, I at least can recognize the melody of songs I know. Baby steps, but getting there...

:cool2:

it's ironic you should mention american idol because that's one of the first tv programs i watched after getting my initial ci. now i've fallen in love with the show and enjoy watching it every week.

:cool2:

it's ironic you should mention american idol because that's one of the first tv programs i watched after getting my initial ci. now i've fallen in love with the show and enjoy watching it every week.
Me too. Although I missed the first week of auditions from season one I have been there every night to see it since then. The auditions the first week are sometimes a bit of a joke, but once they get to hollywood, it's all good.

After two years of 24/7 Tinnitus anything less is an improvement. I still get hit with bouts of really loud sound, but fewer and farther apart. The rest of the time, I don't hear anything other than what my processor is picking up. I also get a touch when I take it off at night ,but that only lasts a minute or two.
As for understanding, it doesn't seem to matter whether the voice is female or male. Some I get, some I don't.

Etalton, it sounds like you doing well and on your blog your audi has a good action plan. Some audi's will do a few things differently. As far as Tinnitus goes I did not get any Tinnitus until one week after the surgery and it became very bad like someone screaming and it took two months to settle down. The only time I get Tinnitus is when I take off the implant at the end of a long but last just a minute or two and it is more like a hum and fades away.

wow etalton , good progress..

My CI moment..

Last night I was trying to set up my dvd recorder along with the set top box for digital captioning ( it's in it's infancy here..only for one channel has closed captions ) and I was trying at the back of the tv to connect all the cables right...I opened it from the front to see if it worked , and I went back with the manual to consult the pictures and compare if it was set up right , when I heard from the tv " Roe, come here! " in Greek..I was so stunned that I HAD to go in front to see the subs and check for myself! YEAH!!

wow etalton , good progress..

My CI moment..

Last night I was trying to set up my dvd recorder along with the set top box for digital captioning ( it's in it's infancy here..only for one channel has closed captions ) and I was trying at the back of the tv to connect all the cables right...I opened it from the front to see if it worked , and I went back with the manual to consult the pictures and compare if it was set up right , when I heard from the tv " Roe, come here! " in Greek..I was so stunned that I HAD to go in front to see the subs and check for myself! YEAH!!

Excellent!!! thats so cool!

CI moment -
I learned how to hear "Defying Gravity" from the musical Wicked and used Youtube.com to compare the different actresses portraying the role of Elphaba - some I prefer over others for sound quality and CI 'compatibility'.

However, the other day, my friend decided to 'test' my reliability with that song so she put on a clip of "Defying Gravity" on youtube.com and I perked up at hearing the opening notes and signed along....

....until about 3-4 verses in, I noticed that the music was similar to that of the original Broadway Cast but was NOT them... and they skipped over an entire verse of lyrics. How?

Laughing, my friend informed me that I was in fact translating the GERMAN version into ASL.... without knowing German! It was that my CI recongized the melody and followed that instead of the lyrics (which were in German). She said that I was on track with the lyrics! The sound patterns for English and German were similiar and on similar notes... but the second time around I listened for the difference between "de-FY-ing grav-ity" and "frei und schwerelos" and could tell them apart but when I let my subconsicous 'ears' take over, they still translate the sound patterns into the English version. I found this very interesting! When I asked different interpreters to translate that song into ASL using the German cast recording, they say they recongize the melody/notes/pitches but can't follow as the German is distracting them. Hmm... so we CI people are at an advantage? Following sound patterns and notes/pitch changes rather than words?

as far as pitches are concerned, i have difficulty identifying some high frequencies because they sound off-key to me by one or more octaves. middle and low frequencies sound exactly like i remember with hearing aids -- only much clearer. i've tried resolving the problem with high frequencies by creating new maps, but none of the changes my audi and i have made helped.

Back